Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2021, 07:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Hopewell , New Jersey
Space Needed to Backup International 25 FBT

Hello,

We do not have our AS yet, but have been planning and watching as many videos as possible. While I believe we have more than enough room, I wanted to ask a few questions regarding backing into our driveway.

Here are some measurements:
- Our street is approx 25' wide
- Our driveway is 20' wide (22" if you count the flared parts of the apron upon entry.)
- Driveway entry is 90 degrees
- Driveway has small trees on one side (running the entire length - these could be relocated, if needed and the driveway extended by 3' on that side) and a single tree on the other side at the front of driveway (10' from the street and 3' in from the driveway)
- Our TV is an F-250 Crew Cab 6ft Bed. Total length is approx 20'
- Our International is 25'11"

Currently, no on is parked on the street across from us, but there are two new houses being built and another being renovated. So, we could see some cars across from our house, which would cut the street size down by 6' - 7'.

I've read that I could install a front mount hitch to help with tighter spots, but am wondering if that is necessary.

Based on the above, what are some thoughts on my available space with backing up? I would prefer not to relocate those small trees and am hoping that our new neighbors are not parking on the street often.

Since this is our first TT (have camped for many years with tents), I want to be as prepared as possible and want to avoid having to ask the neighbors to move their car when we leave / return. My WORST case scenario here is having to purchase a trailer caddy / trailer valet as they are not cheap.

Thanks for the help.
Batman0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Ok, don't panic, here's some tips.
You've got a very wide driveway.So you can use a very wide target area.Both on exit and return.
Im not really seeing the problem, other than being new to combination vehicle operation, the most difficult is usually backing.
But, that's just being new to it.I just put a post up in my thread of towing tips for people new to towing.
So here's a couple, for your driveway.
If there are cars parked across the street, and you are backing in,you want to get as much of your trailer into driveway, before you get around in front of it.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:08 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Quit worrying - you have all kinds of space to back up, The only issue you could have would be low hanging branches over the drive way (time to prune). If you get out of line getting into your driveway stop and pull forward to straighten up your rig then it will be straight back. If you want to practice stop by our home, we have a narrow street with stone mailboxes on both sides and a one lane drive way with trees along it. You can do this, just take your time and do not worry what your neighbors say about you having a hard time during the learning process.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
My layout is similar with no problems, but no one is ever parked across the street, where I start my backing evolution. That allows me to start from an angle greater than 90 degrees...easier. There might be a bit of a pucker factor if someone is parked across the street to the left of your driveway(facing out).
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hopewell , New Jersey
Thank you all, for the input. I assumed I would be fine and that my mental gymnastics was unwarranted, but did want to ask. This puts me at ease with getting into the driveway. Of course, we will be taking the AS to a nice open lot to practice before backing into the driveway.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #6
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
No worries -we back into most of the Forestry campsites in BC that are smaller than that - just takes a bit of practice ... you can check out our "Backing Up Suggestion in our Blog Post the-art-of-backing-up/
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Hopewell , New Jersey
Space Needed to Backup International 25 FBT

Thank you drbrick, love the blog - will be following.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
I live at the end of a narrow dead end road and am unable to back my 23fb into the driveway with the 2500 Chevy pickup. The size of the truck is the problem. I solved the problem by purchasing a Parkit 360 electric trailer dolly. They are a little pricy but I found a used one for a couple hundred dollars on eBay. No further problem backing it in or getting it turned around.
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Hopewell , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1492 View Post
I live at the end of a narrow dead end road and am unable to back my 23fb into the driveway with the 2500 Chevy pickup. The size of the truck is the problem. I solved the problem by purchasing a Parkit 360 electric trailer dolly. They are a little pricy but I found a used one for a couple hundred dollars on eBay. No further problem backing it in or getting it turned around.

I’ve looked at these. This was my backup plan. Based on the feedback so far, we should be ok. I guess if my street ever gets overcrowded (parking in both sides) I would have to go with this options as there is no way to get any angle of cars are on both sides. The road is about 3 trucks wide (3/4 tons with mirrors out - I know this bc we have an F-250 and I’ve been able to pass the construction trucks with some space to spare).
Old 03-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Valley Village , California
I have a similar configuration and you'll probably want to back in without cars across the street. Pulling out should be OK with cars there (at least that's how mine works!).
Have fun - that's the main thing!
stevesiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Saranac Lake , New York
Longer Shank

Hi, I tow with a 28 FC with a Suburban. In order to open the lift gate with the trailer attached (dogs) the dealer installed a long shank for Equalizer hitch. The shank is approx 16.5 in from receiver in truck to center of ball. It allows the lift gate to open but a side benefit is greatly increased trailer/ truck body separation for making tighter turns backing up. There appeared to be no issue with moving the moment arm aft/ tongue weight for 1/2 ton Suburban. It would be a non issue for your truck plus it will let you lower tailgate with trailer attached. CONDO1
Condo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:04 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Hopewell , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condo1 View Post
Hi, I tow with a 28 FC with a Suburban. In order to open the lift gate with the trailer attached (dogs) the dealer installed a long shank for Equalizer hitch. The shank is approx 16.5 in from receiver in truck to center of ball. It allows the lift gate to open but a side benefit is greatly increased trailer/ truck body separation for making tighter turns backing up. There appeared to be no issue with moving the moment arm aft/ tongue weight for 1/2 ton Suburban. It would be a non issue for your truck plus it will let you lower tailgate with trailer attached. CONDO1

Was this offered by Equalizer? We are getting this hitch when we pickup our AS, so I’m wondering if it is something we should ask for as well.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Hopewell , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesiegel View Post
I have a similar configuration and you'll probably want to back in without cars across the street. Pulling out should be OK with cars there (at least that's how mine works!).
Have fun - that's the main thing!

That would be ideal, but might be out of my control. Do you think you’ll could get in with cars across the street or is that a non-starter?
Old 03-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
. . .
. . . I just put a post up in my thread of towing tips . . .
. . .
When pointing to one's own thread, perhaps it would be helpful to include a link, especially for newcomers? It is a very good thread IMO, thanks.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f23...es-220328.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:07 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
You won't know what you can do until you try it a time or two. If you haven't towed and are frightened of backing up, go to an empty parking lot first and practice a bit using soft cones to delineate the area you will be aiming for.

Long ago I hauled a trailer to a repair shop, got lost and got stuck in a dead end street with cars on both sides. I'd be there to this day if a Good Samaritan hadn't been watching and after a while decided to see if he could help by hollering at me which way to turn the wheel, he did help. But, I hadn't practiced because there was NO way I'd be backing up, right? Big mistake on my part...practice a bit!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
kent , Washington
I have neighbors across the street and I just ask them to move their cars. I give them a couple days notice telling them when I plan to leave and when I will be returning. Never had a problem.

Also, before you pick up your trailer, scout out the largest empty parking lot you can find. When you pick up your trailer, first practice backing up in a strait line, then practice turns to both the left and right. Buying soccer cones can help you mark your spots.

When parking in my driveway, sometimes it takes a few tries and I pull forward into neighbors driveway /sidewalk to straighten out.
stunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman0424 View Post
That would be ideal, but might be out of my control. Do you think you’ll could get in with cars across the street or is that a non-starter?
I got cut off editing my last comment, but heres tip for that.
As you approach driveway, to back in, with cars across street, take the tow vehicle low, to entry of driveway, then take tow vehicle up towards cars.The trailer will then be in a low position, ready to be pushed into driveway( jackknifed) as you come around on it.Keep rear of trailer as close to drive entry as possible ( that is, not starting from center of street) if that makes sense.
You want your tow vehicle as close to driveway, before you pull trailer near it.Dont pull the rear of trailer away from driveway, once it's there.
A good thing for beginners to towing to do, is pull into a large truck stop on Interstate.Park your car, go in and get a cup of coffee( Trucker style).Spend time watching the pros, as they enter and exit driveways.
Then walk around back, and watch the truckers set up, to back into a spot between 2 other semis.You are watching them do what I described, on a bigger scale.
Then, watch them pull out, with a line of trucks across from them, like cars across your street.Once you watch the set ups, it's same thing you want to do.The more you watch them, the clearer it becomes.
Go slow backing, small movements of steering wheel.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
I was going to suggest what B. Cole posted, in regards to starting with the trailer on your driveway side of the street, NOT starting in the center of the street, I think that will give you the most room to maneuver as you back in. Since you are new to this, I will add that you definitely want a “spotter” watching your blind side as you do this, be sure they can see you and you can see them the whole time, and be sure you both know the important hand signals ... arm crossed “X” being the universally recognized sign to STOP ! A good spotter is priceless. Don’t be intimidated, we all had to learn it, you will be fine, just be prepared and willing to go back and forth a few times. Don’t let ego tell you it has to happen with only 1 adjustment maneuver. It will be helpful for you if there are no cars on either side the first time or two, but from your description it sounds like you have plenty of room.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Hopewell , New Jersey
Thank you all for the advice and support! This forum is really awesome.

I’ll take a ride to a truck stop to watch them maneuver. I think this will help. Switching from an Audi SQ5 to the F-250 was a huge change that required new positioning when backing or pulling out of a tight spot, but it didn’t take much to adjust. Watching folks park trailers will help - I’ve been watching dozens of videos to learn more.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:41 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
The day I took possession of my trailer a few weeks ago, the driveway I pulled it out of was narrower than the one you describe. The problem there was that there were cars and trailers parked on either side, pulling directly out onto a narrow street. I had to back my truck up to the trailer at a slight angle, and we had to ask the neighbor across the street to move his car so we could pull out using the full width of the street. The tail of the trailer came within four inches of clipping the van parked next to it as I turned out, but it cleared.

I'm a little amazed that the seller backed that trailer into its parking space so precisely, but some folks are very good at backing up trailers. I've got a lot to learn, but as long as nobody is in a hurry, I've got the rest of my life to practice these skills. As a 21-year-old truck driver mentioned to me once, backing trailers is a skill that can be learned and practiced, and even though he had only a few months practice backing semi-trailers up at that point, he backed them up like the professional that he was. I'll practice, and you'll practice, and we'll get good at it. Just trust your spotters and go slowly.

Good luck,
Scott
skucera is offline   Reply With Quote