Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
ROSWELL , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
If it were me - I'd get a tow vehicle I like and will be able to enjoy. Then I'd (and we do in fact) tell our friends to meet us where we will be and give them a list of nearby hotels ...

Our TV is a stock 1997 Tahoe LS 2-door and it does just fine all over Colorado ...
I also use a 97 Tahoe LT,but use a Ht383 crate motor and MONSTER brand racing transmission, to pull my 2007 Safari 23ft.Uphill is no problem,but long downhill runs heat up the brakes. I am changing to a 99 Silverado rear disc brake axle,instead of the drums.
mikesSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Do not use a tahoe!

I went to a Chevy dealer in Washington state with my AS specs and they sold me a Tahoe. I really liked that vehicle until I bought my 98 Excella 30 and realized I had been misled by the car dealer. I took my loss right away and got a Ford Excursion. A few months later in Southern Utah a car illegally crossed the highway right in front of us forcing us across the oncoming traffic and sideways down an embankment missing a telephone pole by inches. There is no way the Tahoe could have made the maneuvering the Excursion managed. I and my passenger owe our lives to my decision to respect the specs. You do the same. 3/4 tonis minimum.
Devananda-E9 is offline   Reply With Quote