Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
Single Wheel 'Trailer'

Was wondering if anyone has added a receiver to the rear of their AS
in order to install a single wheel trailer for a motorcycle.

Thanks!
Dusty-B
Dusty-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Dusty-B -- welcome to the forums!

The junction of the rear shell and frame at the bumper is a sensitive area for problematic leaks if this area is structurally challenged. The frame is just strong enough (hopefully) to do its own job. I believe the forces such a trailer would generate would produce the same "don't do it" answer as when people ask about putting bikes or gensets or storage boxes on the rear bumper.

This is called triple towing -- it's not allowed in Pennsylvania. I know in my state that it is allowed for fifth-wheels followed by a boat (not sure about toads). See http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
You'll probably hear a consensus that it'd be safer to have the bike ratcheted down in a pickup truck bed... but I imagine you've already considered that.

Either that or it's time to start making a map of states you can't drive through!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I would pass on your ideal, towing "second trailer" is restricted in some states, not healthy for your Stream, etc.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
Thanks for all the responses. However, I must clarify, the application I am referring to
is not a trailer. It is a single or dual wheeled platform that fits into a class III or IV receiver. The weight you will have will be tongue weight. It does not rotate on a ball.
To view this item the following website can be accessed www.cruiserlift.com. Once you have seen the photos it will be clearer what I am referring to. Since this is not a trailer there should be no restrictions in any state.

Dusty-B
Dusty-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
I looked at the site you linked. I think most would say (and I would agree) particularly with a trailer (platform) that would induce tongue weight on the rear of the AS frame would be ill advised. As someone posted previously these frames are marginal to simply perform the job for which they were designed. Any additional forces will likely damage the frame or worse.

Just my two cents.
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I still say no, don't do it. I went to the linked website. The lightest weight listed was 500 lbs (Enconomy Transport). The AS can receive damage with just 2 bicycles hanging on the tail end.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Looking at the pictures of the bike trailer on the Link that you provided, I certainly would not want to risk damaging my AAS with such setup.

I bought my AS used - it came with a 2" receiver on the back. I have no idea what the pervious owner was doing, but I suspect towing a small fishing boat or MC trailer because ther was trailer light wiring at the back of my trailer as well.

I was new to Airstreams and at first was happy to have the receiver - I thought I might use it for a bicycle rack.

However, if reviewing this forum, although there were exceptions, by far the greatest number of experienced owners strongly recommended NOT to habg anything off the back of the trailer.

In the end, I cut the hitch off the trailer - and kept my fingers crossed that the previous owner had not started some damage already.

Coming back to the design of trailer that you are considering - it seems to me that could be even worse than a conventional trailer - reason I think that is that it seems that without a conventional trailer tongue, your motorcycle would be very close to the back of the AS, and so the tongue weight on your trailer increased accordingly.

I too have a motorcycle and would dearly love to take it on our camping trips but eventually decided reluctantly that it was just not going to happen.

I did consider buying one of those hydraulic or electric rigs to load the bike onto the bed of our pickup, however we have a Leer cap on the pickup aund make great use of the enclosed space to carry all sorts of stuff - generator, ladder, chairs, tools, big boxes of extra clothes/shoes/food etc. that we just wouldn't want to give that space up.

So we make do with two mountain bikes that I carry on the front of our truck.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It was the 70s AS that was more known for rear end separation.
but even still, more of a factor than tongue weight is the constant torquing and vibration on the rear of the AS from even a light auxillary trailer. A better option would be a bumper mount on the tow vehicle for the bike.

As far as the legality, in NM towing a 2nd trailer is legal if the 1st trailer has brakes and the whole parade is less than 60'. The 1st trailer does not have to be a 5th wheel.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ler-42072.html