Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Silliest question ever....

I knew I was forgetting something important to ask..........

When towing on a long trip, just how do you all gas up the TV ?

I can't imagine pulling a 31 footer through these gas stations....

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Just go where the big trucks go. Also many Interstate located gas stations are able to handle big RV's.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Look for places like the "FlyingJ" all of their locations have rv friendly pull thru for your complete needs..You can even park overnight there..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It is a pain, especially if you frequent locations that places like Flying J and the like don't serve. In particular, it seems that a lot of newer gas stations have orientations in which the pump lanes are perpendicular to the store rather than parallel to it. Absolutely impossible for many RVs!

Lynn
Old 09-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
It is a pain, especially if you frequent locations that places like Flying J and the like don't serve. In particular, it seems that a lot of newer gas stations have orientations in which the pump lanes are perpendicular to the store rather than parallel to it. Absolutely impossible for many RVs!

Lynn
I read this and, not sure just what your point is..
However good it may be..
could you like try rewriting it once more?
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You always need to see your path out of an area before you commit yourself. Lynn is correct about some of the perpendicular pump setups, some of the newer QT stations are built this way. The pumps on the outside can be easier to manage.

Always keep an eye on those cement post that protect the pumps. I always give them a wide berth as I have seen the damage they can do. Thankfully this has never happened to me.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie R. View Post

Robbie R.
Robbie R... We pull a 25' FB behind a 20' long GMC so we have the same problem. We picked up a copy of "The Next Exit" www.thenextexit.com that lists all of the service facilites along the interstate highway system. It notes in their listing of the facility if it is "RV Accessible" by listing the facility in red type. We use it on our trips to Florida and have found it to be very accurate.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Granted, we have a relatively short rig, but we do watch where we pull into and make sure we can manuver our way out forwards without having to back up (which is a total hassle and opens you up to lots of not-so-good possibilities). We also watch how steep or sharp the entrance or entry curb is so we don't drag bottom or damage low-hanging dump plumbing. Most of the interstate stations are do-able... and truck stops are even better... they are built to handle long rigs. We also carry if 5 gal supply of gas if we are taking routes we are not familiar with or don't know the gas situation...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Thanks again everyone, has anyone ever had to unhook to gas up ?

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
As Azflycatcher said, always be sure of your exit. Never go into anyplace that you have not established that you can get out of.

And no, I have never had to unhook. Follow rule one (don't run yourself so low that you don't have any choices) and rule two (see Richard's rule, above).

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We pretty much make it a rule to get gas when we're down to a quarter of a tank. Honestly, if the gas station was so bad that we'd have to unhitch, we'd head to the next stop.

That said, as we've found out this summer, there are some states where it's a LONG way to the next station...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #12

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey Robbie,

We've never had a problem with our 31'er or the 25'. We look for a Pilot, Flying-J, or some other major chain that has an open approach. The big thing is not to wait until you need fuel to fill up.

As mutcth does, we start looking for good stop locations as soon as we get near the 1/4 tank mark.

Never had to un-hitch to fill up.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie R. View Post

Robbie R.
It is intimidating, but you will soon get used to it! I generaly try to stop at the major interstate stops such as Flying J, Pilot, etc., But if I cannot, then I try to stop at stations where the pumps are parallel to the road for ease of exit.

The worst are the ones where the pumps aim at the store and you need to turn ninety degrees after gassing up - especially difficult if you find that while you have been gassing uo, people have parked cars in front of you at the convenience store!

In a pinch, you could always back up.

I went thru the learning experience quite a few years ago, but now have an added wrinkle because I need diesel fuel, which, if they have it at all, is only available at one pump, and sometimes pretty hard to see as you pullonto the lot! Sometimes I stop the rig and walk over to the pumps to figure out the lie of the land before I continue!

Its all a challenge and good fun! (at least ya gotta think of it that way!)

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
This topic does remind me of another wrinkle. A lot of thruway service stations are configured with a separate parking area for trucks and trailers. That's fine - but then they set it up so that the only pumps that are easily accessible from there are diesel pumps.

In New York and Mass., I've wound up driving back "the wrong way" to get to the car gasoline pumps, or have had to snake my way through between the buildings to get back to them. Stupid set-up.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I do what everyone else does...stick to the truck stops, refill at quarter tank, and make sure I have a way out before I head in....my last trip there was severe weather and flooding so I didnt have much choice. I ended up having to back out onto the highway. Amazing how many people jumped out there to stop traffic and help out.

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We also carry if 5 gal supply of gas if we are taking routes we are not familiar with or don't know the gas situation...
This is a good idea. We've done this several times and have filled-up using the gas can for ease.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Get a diesel and fill up where the big rigs fill up. Thats what I do.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
VERY CAREFULLY...

Like others have mentioned, there's got to be a good way to get OUT, before I'll attempt to go IN...

I always carry a spare 5-gal jug of fuel for the generator, so it can also be used for the TV as well...
Old 09-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Silliest question ever....

When I am towing one of my trailers, I am usually on secodary highways miles from the major thoroughfares where truck stop chains are located so finding fuel can be a problem in some areas due to the perpendicular pump arrangment. One thing that I learned to appreciate when towing with my Cadillac during the summer of 2008 was its center rear bumper fill location -- I didn't have to worry about which side the fuel filler door was located. Over the years, I have had to back out of gas stations three times -- the most frustrating was the truck stop that advertised on its sign that it had RV Friendly Islands -- what they didn't say was it was strictly for diesel fueled RVs as the islands with gasoline while parallel to the building had a dead-end at the opposite end that was not apparent as you pulled into the station.

As I have traveled the rural highways one thing that I have learned is that most county seats have at least one gas station equipped to handle vehicles towing trailers. Since my Cadillac has a relatively modest fuel tank for its fuel appetite, I am always prepared to unhook if necessary -- have only done this once and was glad that I did as it took 24.5 gallons to fill its 25 gallon tank.

When towing with my Suburban, I almost never need to fill-up when towing as it has enough fuel capacity for a day's drive under most conditions. I usually fill up the evening of my arrival while I am out eating dinner . . . then I have enough fuel for at least 450 miles in worse case scenario.

Taking time to fully practice backing your combination under a variety of conditions can really make the thought of backing out of a gas station island much less intimidating.

Enjoy your adventure!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
You always need to see your path out of an area before you commit yourself. Lynn is correct about some of the perpendicular pump setups, some of the newer QT stations are built this way. The pumps on the outside can be easier to manage.

Always keep an eye on those cement post that protect the pumps. I always give them a wide berth as I have seen the damage they can do. Thankfully this has never happened to me.
Boy...do I now what's that's like. I gouged a 9' groove in our Trade Wind 2 Springs ago. $3200 for a new 14' x 4' aluminum side. Thank goodness for good insurance.
Neil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3110159.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	87155   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3110162.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	87156  

Click image for larger version