Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2023, 01:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Side view camera?

Hi all - does anyone use cameras on the sides of the trailer for backing up? I often back into my own driveway and the spot at the storage yard by myself. It would sure make things easier if I had a camera on each side of the trailer. I looked for a small Bluetooth camera that would either display on my phone or a monitor that I could “stick” to the sides of the trailer just when backing up solo. No luck. I also considered opening the side storage compartments and Velcroing a camera to the open lid - again just to be used while backing up solo. I don’t want to run a bunch of new wires, but for power, I could wire cameras to the interior storage compartment lights. Any suggestions? Thanks
Jason P M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Just yesterday I was thinking about an extra camera.
My need was to aid in aligning the ball and coupler. The camera in the Tundra tailgate gets me lined up, but I need to get in and out about four times to get the fore and aft alignment. (I like the ball to be slightly forward in the coupler so it pulls the trailer forward a tiny bit)
Anyway Amazon has a variety of solo cameras. I considered the "Swift Hitch" which has a magnet or suction cup. The viewing angle is 170º, which IMO, is petty wide, meaning things are distorted as you get farther away. (smaller)

But I decided since my rear view camera is a Haloview, I'd get the wireless Haloview camera/battery pack and set it alongside the trailer coupler.
It already would pair to my monitor as Cam2.
Here's the Swift.
https://www.amazon.com/Swift-Hitch-S...ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Links to your phone by wi-fi, and is rechargeable. Just don't drive away with it hanging on! (My worry too!)

If your Airstream has a Furrion camera, they sell side marker cameras that get power from the marker lights and use your monitor (I think).
I struck out on Voyager side view, except for motor home permanent installation.

Heres the Haloview I picked for my use. Rechargeable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Haloview portable.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	427831  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here's a video on the Furrion side marker cameras.
In my humble opinion ALL the wireless side marker cameras are kinda ugly.
How about a simple clamp on the segment protector temporarily?
I was wondering if you use the phone for a monitor, then two cameras have two wi-fi signals and it may not be split screen. That would get old fast.

Old 02-06-2023, 07:00 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Thank you. My rig has the Voyager rear cam. Seems like no good option for adding another cam or two to that one as you mention. Maybe I’ll look into replacing with the Haloview.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:16 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Globetrotter
Arizona City , Arizona
Our Globetrotter came with the Voyager WiSight 2, and the manual indicates it can handle up to 4 cameras. I have it tried, but expect it would work like the other Voyager products I used previously in motorhomes where y could split the screen between the cameras in different manners, or see just one of the multiple views large.

This is a link to the camera we have

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Camera-S...r/ASA57YR.html
gypsycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsycoder View Post
Our Globetrotter came with the Voyager WiSight 2, and the manual indicates it can handle up to 4 cameras.
I went to the Voyager web site and the small side "pod" cameras are for wired applications.
The wireless system that accepts 4 cameras seems to be 4 of the same camera, just different positions, like a security application. (Not pods)
IF you just want the cameras for backing into storage, then the regular cameras on a spring clamp will do the job. Otherwise, Haloview and Furrion seem to be the choice.
I still think both side wireless are fugly.
https://www.marriedwithairstream.com...meras-project/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220712_190754566.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	427876  
Old 02-07-2023, 01:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Poway , California
I have the Voyager WiSight2 and ordered a 2nd camera $300 and the following to build a standalone camera with an on/off switch and can move anywhere to monitor the ball/hitch hookup and even backing into any campground site. So far it has really been fantastic. I backup once and can hookup.

I ordered these parts from amazon and had a simple on off switch laying around:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also got an Ampere Time 12v 6ah lithium battery on Amazon, no longer available but just get one that fits in the box above. This may seem overkill and it is but adds a bit of weight to the box and will likely stay charged for a year. You could get a smaller one and add weights in the box.

Sorry, don't know how to rotate them, tried saving 90 degrees clockwise but that did not work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WiSightCam.1b.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	427882   Click image for larger version

Name:	WiSightCam.2b.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	427883  

Old 02-08-2023, 11:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post

Link to the Haloview HandyCamera
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by markuscis View Post
I have the Voyager WiSight2 and ordered a 2nd camera $300 and the following to build a standalone camera with an on/off switch and can move anywhere to monitor the ball/hitch hookup and even backing into any campground site. So far it has really been fantastic. I backup once and can hookup.
That's a great idea! Clean and well engineered.
That's exactly the concept I'm thinking, except with the Haloview. View the coupler from the side!
I'll consider a tether to my jack block so I don't drive away and leave it sitting.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:02 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Kinnelon , New Jersey
Side view camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Just yesterday I was thinking about an extra camera.
My need was to aid in aligning the ball and coupler. The camera in the Tundra tailgate gets me lined up, but I need to get in and out about four times to get the fore and aft alignment. (I like the ball to be slightly forward in the coupler so it pulls the trailer forward a tiny bit)
Anyway Amazon has a variety of solo cameras. I considered the "Swift Hitch" which has a magnet or suction cup. The viewing angle is 170º, which IMO, is petty wide, meaning things are distorted as you get farther away. (smaller)

But I decided since my rear view camera is a Haloview, I'd get the wireless Haloview camera/battery pack and set it alongside the trailer coupler.
It already would pair to my monitor as Cam2.
Here's the Swift.
https://www.amazon.com/Swift-Hitch-S...ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Links to your phone by wi-fi, and is rechargeable. Just don't drive away with it hanging on! (My worry too!)

If your Airstream has a Furrion camera, they sell side marker cameras that get power from the marker lights and use your monitor (I think).
I struck out on Voyager side view, except for motor home permanent installation.

Is the wired rear view Haloview camera a plug n play replacement for the stock Voyager? I’m thinking of getting the BT7 and replacing my Voyager rear camera.

Haloview BT7 RV Backup Camera Wireless FHD 1080P DVR Rearview Full-Color Night Vision Cam and 7" Monitor System Adapter for Furrion Pre-Wired RV,Truck,Trailer,Truck,Camper,Van,Pickup https://a.co/d/2TNKWxJ

Then I’ll get the battery power Haloview Handy Cam to pair with the same monitor.

Haloview BTC126 FHD 1080P Handy Camera Wiring Free Backup Camera for BT7 System https://a.co/d/iYxCxNa
Old 09-24-2023, 10:11 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Oregon
Just found this thread.
Have a 25’ Flying cloud FB and am thinking about swapping the side markers for the furrion cameras we have from our prior RV. You know a paper mache’ non Airstream trailer that your spouse makes you buy instead of the airstream that eventually falls apart and you get permission to buy the Airstream. So wanting to salvage the camera(s) from that unit. Don’t believe the 2017 unit we purchased as a back up camera but that year was pre wired at least in the back.
Just curious how ugly and out of place the furrion side cameras will look.
Ross62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 10:15 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Oregon
Thanks for posting the photo. This is as fugly as my furrion cameras look but on our paper mache 2020 r-pod that we are disposing of, the ugliness fits better.
But at the moment…I’m likely to install them to get the side views.
Ross62 is offline   Reply With Quote