Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2021, 06:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Florida
Seeking Input From Users of Weigh Safe

I did a search and it has been a while since there has been dialog about the Weigh Safe hitch. I would like to hear from users with experience, good or bad concerning this hitch. Thanks.
bstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
2022 27' Flying Cloud
ALLEN , TX
I don't have one, but this guy tested several hitches over the summer:

Weigh Safe was highly rated.

Scotty
Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:38 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Florida
Hi Scotty,

Thanks, that is the article that prompted my question. It is a very good looking option and I have to make a decision soon, new 27 is just over a month from delivery. I had kind of decided on a Reese, but this looks good too.

Bill
Old 10-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Considering as well. Comments from a few is you have to keep adjusting it. Not sure if this is due to the spring pressure adjustment bolt backing off or the springs/mechanics are changing.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome aboard👍

Why do we feel it's needed?

Is there a way to shut off the weigh feature?
Seems to me it wouldn't last very long bouncing down the road 'weighing & weighing' every DIP.

You really only need a TW when you don't know it.
Once when your fully loaded for Camping and again whenever you think the load has changed substantially.

IMHO...a 'Gizmo' designed to capture your cash.👎

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-25-2021, 02:29 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Florida
Tongue Weight Changes Every Day

My wife and I bought our first TT, a 29' Holiday Rambler, in 1969. I was a young sailor in the Navy and it was our full time home when we were newly weds. We traveled coast to coast and North to South with this rig. So you might say we've been at this for a few years. The new 27' on the way will be our 4th RV and second Airstream. Anyway, in my experience it would be the rare trailer that does not have the tongue weight fluctuate almost daily depending on load, fluid shifts, and usage etc.. Being able to check and adjust should help to make the trailer more stable in the real world. As far as the gauge goes, it does not bounce around as the trailer is moving down the road because it is protected by an orifice tube. This is standard practice with gauges used with any hydraulic system which is essentially what this is. This looks like a well engineered and well executed design. I will report back after about a year or 10,000 miles or so, whichever comes first. I went ahead and ordered one.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:17 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstevenson View Post
My wife and I bought our first TT, a 29' Holiday Rambler, in 1969. I was a young sailor in the Navy and it was our full time home when we were newly weds. We traveled coast to coast and North to South with this rig. So you might say we've been at this for a few years. The new 27' on the way will be our 4th RV and second Airstream. Anyway, in my experience it would be the rare trailer that does not have the tongue weight fluctuate almost daily depending on load, fluid shifts, and usage etc.. Being able to check and adjust should help to make the trailer more stable in the real world. As far as the gauge goes, it does not bounce around as the trailer is moving down the road because it is protected by an orifice tube. This is standard practice with gauges used with any hydraulic system which is essentially what this is. This looks like a well engineered and well executed design. I will report back after about a year or 10,000 miles or so, whichever comes first. I went ahead and ordered one.
TETO....In my experience TW can vary up to 200lb with little effect on towability. I weigh when I know the load has changed substantially.
Usually only once a year, or when the boat & lake stuff is left behind.

Bob
🇺🇸

Sherline Scale..

BTW the 'hitched scale' is measuring receiver weight, TW is un-hitched.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32CBA2AA-F535-4A3F-84C2-67D1D9657404.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	407077  
Old 10-27-2021, 09:55 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstevenson View Post
From my perspective, the key attributes of a WDH is the performance for sway control and load management. The Weigh Safe gets high marks in both categories. The second important thing for me is the ease and accuracy of load distribution. The weigh safe gives very precise recommendations for adjustment and is easily accomplished with a simple turn of a bolt....every time you hook up. No guessing how many links, jack turns, etc. The warranty on the Weigh Safe is good so worth a try. Cost is very reasonable. I'm going to also try it.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
From my perspective, the key attributes of a WDH is the performance for sway control and load management. The Weigh Safe gets high marks in both categories. The second important thing for me is the ease and accuracy of load distribution. The weigh safe gives very precise recommendations for adjustment and is easily accomplished with a simple turn of a bolt....every time you hook up. No guessing how many links, jack turns, etc. The warranty on the Weigh Safe is good so worth a try. Cost is very reasonable. I'm going to also try it.
Well, good luck with your square 'no bend' WD bars.
Crank them bad boys up and you will have AS damage,

BTW how does turning a bolt move the load around in the Airstream? (Moving is the only real way to vary the receiver loading)

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-27-2021, 04:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
The only adjustment is the pivot point for your bars. This looks like a very expensive toy that allows you to super fine tune your hitch. Every time that you use your trailer the weights are going to vary a certain amount. If you have to be that precise on your weight, you are pulling with the wrong vehicle!! If you are a new owner of this hitch, I strongly suggest purchasing a good rivet tool and lots of rivets. With those bars you will need them!! The guy in the video needs to pull an Airstream for thousands of miles. I believe he will have a different review of the hitch if he does. JMHO!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:00 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Well, good luck with your square 'no bend' WD bars.
Crank them bad boys up and you will have AS damage,

BTW how does turning a bolt move the load around in the Airstream? (Moving is the only real way to vary the receiver loading)

Bob
🇺🇸
I’m guessing you think “weight distribution” hitches redistribute weight. Newsflash: they redistribute load, not weight. lol
Old 10-28-2021, 03:30 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Florida
Bob,

For the benefit of others let the record reflect that you have expressed strong views based on no experience, no understanding of the product, and clearly are confused about the potential for instability if tongue weight is allowed to fluctuate without compensation by as much as 200 pounds. Everyone who reads this thread will have to make their own judgements as to the veracity of the statements and claims you have made. For my part I want nothing more to do with you.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:38 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
I’m guessing you think “weight distribution” hitches redistribute weight. Newsflash: they redistribute load, not weight. lol
So if there is no weight there is no need to distribute the load, hence no need for a weight distributing hitch... Eureka I see the logic TETO

From post #9
<><<<QUOTE "BTW how does turning a bolt move the load around in the Airstream? (Moving is the only real way to vary the receiver loading)"

SNIPQUOTE>><><>BStevensen
Bob,
For the benefit of others let the record reflect that you have expressed strong views based on no experience, no understanding of the product, and clearly are confused about the potential for instability if tongue weight is allowed to fluctuate without compensation by as much as 200 pounds. Everyone who reads this thread will have to make their own judgements as to the veracity of the statements and claims you have made. For my part I want nothing more to do with you.
><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><<><><><><><><><

What's to understand about the product? It's a weight distributing hitch if you can't understand that there's no excuse for it.

What I do understand is that it uses square weight distribution bars which do not afford a compliant lash up that can cause, and has caused damage to more than a few Airstreams.( over stiff lash-up, not necessarily a Weigh Safe, ANY overly stiff system) PS...and I you.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7164AF5-28D3-4FEB-A992-1297B44CF821_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	407150  
Old 10-29-2021, 08:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I am very curious how Mikemdd moves the load with a hitch. Load can be put on truck, car, or trailer and located at various points on the vehicle to "load" the weight on the wheels touching the ground. The "weight distributing hitch" acts as a fulcrum to "transfer" some of the weight to various axles as needed. Load can be moved by placing in different locations on the vehicles, weight on the ground (wheels) can be adjusted with a fulcrum. The rear of the tow vehicle is raised or lowered by the means of the "weight distributing hitch" torsion bars having more tension placed upon them. Ideally theose bars should flex a designed amount to help take the shock from road imperfections from damaging your trailer or tow vehicle. Thats the same reason that springs and shock absorbers are put on vehicles. JMHO
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
I am very curious how Mikemdd moves the load with a hitch. Load can be put on truck, car, or trailer and located at various points on the vehicle to "load" the weight on the wheels touching the ground. The "weight distributing hitch" acts as a fulcrum to "transfer" some of the weight to various axles as needed. Load can be moved by placing in different locations on the vehicles, weight on the ground (wheels) can be adjusted with a fulcrum. The rear of the tow vehicle is raised or lowered by the means of the "weight distributing hitch" torsion bars having more tension placed upon them. Ideally theose bars should flex a designed amount to help take the shock from road imperfections from damaging your trailer or tow vehicle. Thats the same reason that springs and shock absorbers are put on vehicles. JMHO
I think the load/weight terminology is a fine point. I was simply responding to a snarky comment from someone about load that had nothing to do with the discussion. I don't disagree with the technical points. I do know that on my race cars, the engineers refer to suspension setup as transferring load rather than weight to different wheels. In any case, all points well taken.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I love these discussions!

I have this hitch and I have been using it for 2 seasons now. Over a dozen trips. I like the gizmo aspect but TETO.

I am using a Ridgeline to pull our Sport and this hitch has not popped any rivets or broken the A-frame off the trailer or snapped the Ridgeline in half at least in my case .

Sway control is great.

Without the engineering support, it may be hard to determine the flex in the trailer and tow vehicle to understand the effects of the square loads bars. Perhaps the less stiff Ridgeline unibody chassis absorbs some of the stiffness of the bars? We also run our trailer tire pressure at 65 psi. I don’t know but I can say that the ride is smooth and not jarring at all.

The adjuster bolt allows for quick installation of the load bars without levers, just carry a box end wrench. The app (I use the iPhone version) gives you the range to set the scale with the load bars attached.

The bolt is a pivot point for the head to the load bars rather than a fixed point using a bunch of bolts and washers. Installs in a minute and uninstalls in the same time when I use the tongue jack and leave the adjuster bolt alone and never need to adjust it as it doesn’t back off like was suggested above.

I can also back up with it all connected which I think some other hitches don’t like.

I have a regular hitch from Weigh Safe and found it well made which is what drew me to the WDH unit that they make.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:18 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Thanks very much for contributing your results in the real world. Very refreshing.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:24 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Florida
Thank you Peter. Good feedback.