Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Security cameras

Just wondering if anyone has used a security camera like the Nest or some other brand to use as a backup camera. I was thinking that you could run it of your batteries and use your cell phone or tablet for the video display. It could also function as a security camera when away from the AS.

Any thoughts
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I was surprised that I did not receive any responses. I know there are cameras specifically made for backing up however I thought using a security camera would kill to birds with one stone.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You'd have to have WIFI. Gm trucks have had for a couple years. I think Ford starts to offer this year.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
You are right about the wifi however i was also thinking of using cellular data. In the end it probably is not all that practical.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
I have been looking into this for a while. I have a Basecamp on order and would like to have a security camera for when it's stored in a gated self storage lot. (A little different than your request but still related).

Yes the Nest and most home security cameras need Wifi. Panasonic just came out with a camera called Nubo but it's only in Europe right now. Should release here soon. It works on 4G so you can use it without wifi and it also works for some time on batteries. That could work as a backup camera and security camera.

Another option for backup camera is to use an old discarded iPhone as a camera that you can view from your newer iPhone. There are apps to hook them up. AtHome is one for example. You'd need a data plan for the old phone. And there are cheap wide angle and fish eye lenses you could put on the camera iPhone.

I tried the phone as camera powered by a 20,000 mah backup battery as a test at my house, but it only stayed charged a few days. The camera and app worked well however.

My Basecamp will have 160 watt solar, but I'm not sure about running the camera on the trailer battery for extended times. I'm new to the travel trailer world and assume it's not great to leave the battery connected when not in use.

For your backup camera the iPhone plan could work on its own battery. You could use a suction mount to hold it. Of course that's assuming you have an old iPhone (or Android) laying in a drawer gathering dust.

Fyi here's the Nubo...

https://www.nubocam.com/en/
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Minneapolis , Minnesota
I would love to be able to answer your question. I'm working on the same thing. I'm opening an Airstream boutique soon and I'm starting to think I might need something...
fairtheewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thanks for the info on the nub
Old 02-15-2017, 06:06 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Just wondering if anyone has used a security camera like the Nest or some other brand to use as a backup camera. I was thinking that you could run it of your batteries and use your cell phone or tablet for the video display. It could also function as a security camera when away from the AS.

Any thoughts
On my 2007 FB Safari SE LS I used a Swan camera and temp mounted onto the Bat Wing TV antenna with elastic chords. . Got you almost 360 degrees of viewing. Wireless transmitter to inside Receiver coupled to a hard drive. All out of site. Viewed in real time or by recoding from motion detection. Camera used a 9VDC converter or 9 V battery. Hard drive and TV all required AC. Not practical for on the road types only works if you stay at a park for more than a week.

On my current 30 FC the factory mounted the camera in the rear. However, camera is on only when running lights from the vehicle are on. Can bring in the viewing module screen inside and plug into a 12DC outlet but camera will not turn on unless I turn on the vehicle lights. I'm sure the neighbors would not be happy about that silver Christmas tree lighting up the area all night.

Been looking for some trail cams that have limited distance transmitters, haven't found one yet.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:

Any thoughts
Update. Looked up on Amazon Bushnell Throphy Cam HD Aggressor has a wireless feature. Little pricey $255.00 But will provide about 1000 pics per month for about $9.00 sent to your phone. Sounds like it could work. Didn't say it would be cheap.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I just got a Reolink Argus 2E for camping. The company says that it can be used on LAN for alarming, motion activation, using APP for viewing and SD recording only (off Internet). No notification, emailing, etc off Internet.

So, that means when off wifi boon docking- eyes outside, alarming, recording motion but better than nothing.

I have yet to try it as it is a day in my possession.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
When asked what kind of wireless security system he had, an acquaintance replied with this photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2340.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	440636  
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 05:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
When asked what kind of wireless security system he had, an acquaintance replied with this photo:
Love it!
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 07:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Just wondering if anyone has used a security camera like the Nest or some other brand to use as a backup camera.
Cameras used as back up cameras need the ability to flip the image L/R or U/D.
Your ring camera will look okay until a car on your left seems to be on your right.
Also a Ring camera has a very wide angle lens. Back up cameras like to include the lanes to your sides.
So objects in the Ring camera would appear as a speck at the horizon then zoom up in size and whiz past you.
Also, consider the frame rate of the Ring, as well as range for the transmission. Is that semi that appears to be 50' behind you actually alongside?
Finally, to store images you need a monthly fee for the cloud, where with a dedicated Back Up camera like the Haloview, a microSD card sits in the monitor, mine has 128 gig, always recording.

Now if you asked me if a security camera like the Ring was a good idea for security, I'd say "Yes" as long as you have internet where you're parked.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 07:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
if you get a Garmin RV GPS system, they have the option of adding a BU camera
we wired ours to the trailers lights.

when we want to see behind us, we simply turn on the TV lights and that powers the BU camera

its easy to wire up
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 11:18 AM   #15

2024 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I just got a Reolink Argus 2E for camping. The company says that it can be used on LAN for alarming, motion activation, using APP for viewing and SD recording only (off Internet). No notification, emailing, etc off Internet.

So, that means when off wifi boon docking- eyes outside, alarming, recording motion but better than nothing.

I have yet to try it as it is a day in my possession.
I bought a Argus 2 in 2018 and it's a great little camera. The newer generation is way better just based on the way it mounts from the back along with the improved quality. I recently bought an Argus 3 Ultra (with Solar panel) to test it for my Airstream use. I've installed and/or owned 50+ cameras since 2017 and the only real issue I've had with Reolink battery cameras vs. the POE/120v versions is the lack of pre-detection recording. The battery (even with solar connected) models have a PIR detection to wake up, then start recording, then go back to sleep. There were times when the Argus 2 missed what exactly what caused it to wake up to record. This makes it difficult to tune the settings and privacy masks to eliminate false positives. I look forward to hearing about your thoughts on the Argus 2E.
kraxner is offline   Reply With Quote