Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I rolled a trailer several years ago. Going only 65 on an interstate where the limit was 70 and many vehicles exceeded that. To this day I am uncertain what happened - it was that quick. The officer who was first to arrive was surprised I was alive! More surprised I was not hurt, especially since my side curtain airbag failed to deploy and Ontario failed to note that I went head first into an embankment.

The officer did say that particular area had a history of straight line winds tipping semi trailers over.

I have slowed down below 60 mph ever since AND I avoid interstates especially during rush hour. I also never go more than 350 miles.per day... and if it is my first trip after weeks (or now after many months of travel, I will travel 150 to 200 miles on day one.

Oddly after decades of being a coffee-holic, I tried to quit, and found that I am better off without caffeine [emoji854] than with it. I now have an occasional cup.... but NOT while driving - even without the Airstream. Raspberry Zinger is my new hot drink of choice. YMMD, but I say Stop thinking that your case is "different" or that your superior reflexes or intellect entitles you to think that speed limits are advisory - and only for others. Insurance may make you whole money wise... but persisting in bad behavior after a close call... eh? Darwin Effect?
Old 03-18-2021, 03:14 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
It is probably no coincidence that the event happened above a gorge. Overpasses an geographical features like this channel the wind in unpredictable ways. Turn off the speed control (I never tow with it on) and pay special attention at those locations!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:15 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
Most people don't know this, but almost all bumper pull trailers are only rated for safe operation to 65 MPH.
Rated by whom?
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:16 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
In your mind.[emoji23]

Got it, if your 70mph in a 55 zone and I 60, I'm the one that's unsafe. Bull chips.

Bob

[emoji631]

No but if your 60 in a 75 then you are the one that is potentially creating unsafe situation.

Other night at dusk ran up on a guy towing a RV without lights, doing 60 in a 75. I was not towing and he surprised me and let me tell doing 75 came up on him quickly.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:33 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Wow! Talk about a "come to Jesus" moment!!!
Old 03-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
From page one of this thread....

"This accident happened today in Idaho. Excessive speed, sway, and load mis-management each played a part in this accident."

For this old boy, right here may very well have been a major contributor to this ordeal, possibly in conjunction with over confidence towing with a 1 ton truck.....

"he also had a rack on the back with a large generator, spare tire, firewood, and other camping gear on a Curt receiver hitch cargo rack"

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
No but if your 60 in a 75 then you are the one that is potentially creating unsafe situation.

Other night at dusk ran up on a guy towing a RV without lights, doing 60 in a 75. I was not towing and he surprised me and let me tell doing 75 came up on him quickly.
You should probably slow down.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Quote:

So we should all drive 20 under posted limit... never going to happen.. you can get a ticket for that if there’s no reason for going that far under. not saying you will but ..
Old 03-18-2021, 09:45 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
When not towing, I’m not a slow driver... will keep it over the limit... not recklessly so, but, I don’t let the dust settle... I grew up and still live in more rural parts of the country... I remember the first time driving through a larger city, seeing minimum speed limit signs on interstates, not letting you drop below 45... but, in those locations, the pack is really flying, even if you’re 10 or 20 over the upper limit, you’re getting passed. (I remember coming back from a game in Atlanta, the entire interstate was bumper to bumper at 90... white knuckles for an hour...)

But towing is a game changer. Dynamics are totally different. Stay to the right, let the pack go around. If you have to, take side routes that aren’t at as high of a speed. Do what you need to do to be safe.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasali View Post
This from the morning paper. A pickup with two people and two dogs pulling a trailer loses control and crashes over the guard rail of a bridge spanning a 100’ deep gorge. Trailer stays attached and on the road, truck dangles in air.

I’ve copied the first few paragraphs and photo below. If the link to the article is paywalled, you can probably find it from some other AP source.

Lessons: Check those chains, people! And sway can become uncontrolled in a heartbeat and ruin your day. This hitch stuff is extremely important.

Rescuers save 2 from pickup dangling over deep Idaho gorge
BY REBECCA BOONE ASSOCIATED PRESS
MARCH 16, 2021 08:38 AM

BOISE, IDAHO
Authorities say a set of camp trailer safety chains and quick, careful work by emergency crews saved two people after their pickup truck plunged off a bridge, leaving them dangling above a deep gorge in southern Idaho.

Idaho State Police responded to the accident at about 2:45 p.m. Monday, said ISP spokeswoman Lynn Hightower. A trooper found a man and a woman inside the pickup truck that was dangling, nose-down, off the side of the bridge spanning the Malad Gorge. The gorge is narrow but is roughly 100 feet (30.48 meters) deep below the bridge, roughly the height of a 10-story building. The gorge reaches about 250 feet (76.20 meters) deep at its deepest point.

The only thing keeping the 2004 Ford F-350 pickup from falling was the set of “safety chains” attaching the 30-foot camper trailer, which remained on the bridge, to the pickup. A state trooper and local sheriff's deputy first used an additional set of chains from a nearby semi-truck to help support the dangling pickup truck, holding it in place until additional rescuers with cranes, rope rescue gear and other equipment could arrive.

Read more here: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...#storylink=cpy

This image provided by the Idaho State Police shows the scene where authorities say a set of camp trailer safety chains and quick, careful work by emergency crews saved two people after their pickup truck plunged off a bridge, leaving them dangling above a deep gorge in southern Idaho on Monday, March 15, 2021. (Idaho State Police via AP) AP
My wife and I were there hiking in the canyon when the accident happened. We stayed for the first hour of rescue then went back to our hotel and saw the news on the successful rescue of the occupants and news of their non-life threatening injuries.
Here are my comments. There was some sort of major failure just before they got to bridge. Hot metal came off the rig and started a brush fire. Apparently this caused them to lose control. We heard this tremendous crash and looked up and saw trailer on it's side across all lanes and the pick up truck over the side held out of the canyon by the safety chains.
A quick thinking tow truck driver that was right there pushed through stopped vehicles and came right up to trailer and truck and put heavy duty chains on the truck to stabilize it from plunging to bottom. Then the rescue got under way. Very happy ending and tremendous efforts from multiple agencies to pull two people and two dogs out of dangling truck that was at least 150 feet from canyon bottom.
As to what caused this accident, I have no idea but I do know that after thirty years of towing three different Airstreazms I will always be going to school to try to improve everything I can do to make the towing experience safer.
I suggest newbies and the experienced to always tow the safest way possible.
Don't over load, use proper sway and weight distribution equipment, watch your speed, watch changing road conditions and most of all from this incident, don't take those safety chains for granted, they could save your life.
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
My wife and I were there hiking in the canyon when the accident happened. We stayed for the first hour of rescue then went back to our hotel and saw the news on the successful rescue of the occupants and news of their non-life threatening injuries.
Here are my comments. There was some sort of major failure just before they got to bridge. Hot metal came off the rig and started a brush fire. Apparently this caused them to lose control. We heard this tremendous crash and looked up and saw trailer on it's side across all lanes and the pick up truck over the side held out of the canyon by the safety chains.
A quick thinking tow truck driver that was right there pushed through stopped vehicles and came right up to trailer and truck and put heavy duty chains on the truck to stabilize it from plunging to bottom. Then the rescue got under way. Very happy ending and tremendous efforts from multiple agencies to pull two people and two dogs out of dangling truck that was at least 150 feet from canyon bottom.
As to what caused this accident, I have no idea but I do know that after thirty years of towing three different Airstreazms I will always be going to school to try to improve everything I can do to make the towing experience safer.
Don't over load, use proper sway and weight distribution equipment, watch your speed, watch changing road conditions and most of all from this incident, don't take those safety chains for granted, they could save your life.
That flatbed semi driver,who was behind the wreck, I'm sure saved their lives.Risking his,fishing extra long heavy chain he had on his truck, to the truck hanging by only ONE safety chain.Then he backed up, no doubt they were one weakened chain link from death.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
From page one of this thread....
"He was towing with a F-350."
Well, there's your problem!!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post

Thanks interesting that you observed a major failure...
Old 03-19-2021, 09:54 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
Speed

Quote:
So we should all drive 20 under posted limit... never going to happen.. you can get a ticket for that if there’s no reason for going that far under. not saying you will but ..
A number of years ago there was a published insurance study showing the safest speeds. It wasn't about towing.

At the time the safest speed was 5 mph over the posted limit. The second safest speed was 5 mph under the posted limit. Next was the posted limit, followed by 10 mph under, 15 mph under, 10 mph over and finally 15 mph over was the least safe speed.

With everybody driving so much faster I assume the safest speeds have moved up. In AZ most people drive 10 mph over because that is when the police ticket you.

In an effort slow people down AZ have come up with another level of citation. It is an excessive speed citation that carries a $15 fine and can be given any time a vehicle is driving faster than the posted limit. 5 miles over can now get you stopped and cited. It doesn't carry any points nor does it come with an insurance notification.

I haven't heard of anyone getting the new citation so maybe it hasn't started yet.

Mike
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:33 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2trailer View Post

At the time the safest speed was 5 mph over the posted limit. The second safest speed was 5 mph under the posted limit. Next was the posted limit, followed by 10 mph under, 15 mph under, 10 mph over and finally 15 mph over was the least safe speed.

Mike

Mike thanks this was the point I was trying to make. Posted limit give or take 5 is where we should be. Not some arbitrary I’m comfortable limit.

Personally if you’re not comfortable going 70 or 75 when that’s the posted limit - ok - find another route. Going 15-20 under posted limit presents other problems. Especially at dawn, dusk or night.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:26 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Thumbs down

Quote:
Quote:
Mike thanks this was the point I was trying to make. Posted limit give or take 5 is where we should be. Not some arbitrary I’m comfortable limit.

Personally if you’re not comfortable going 70 or 75 when that’s the posted limit - ok - find another route. Going 15-20 under posted limit presents other problems. Especially at dawn, dusk or night.
Since this is a safety / safety violation( s) thread, it's hard to decide where to start, on your comment above.
Your post #47, with you being" suprised" while operating at 75 MPH, at dusk ,( overdriving your headlights)is a great example.
What if that had been a black 700# dairy cow, ( which never happens) or couple deer, standing in that lane, without its/ their lights on??
Old 03-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Safety Chains Save the Day (Gulp!)

It was on an interstate I 10. No dairy cow possible or likely. And it was dusk, headlights not effective yet but his grey trailer blended in and he didn’t have effective reflectors. My point was at a 15-20 mph delta you can overtake very quickly and if your that guy who’s always traveling that speed realize you’re adding risk to everyone moving with traffic.

I might have been surprised but that’s cause I didn’t expect ‘that guy’ to be traveling that much slower that traffic. And it wasn’t a panic or emergency reaction, I just slide around him like he was standing still.

Hexx at 75 I was getting passed regularly and was not towing.

Safety is not just going slow, it’s being safe for conditions- that means traveling with the speed of traffic, having well maintained equipment, loaded properly, not driving distracted etc.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:42 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Quote:
It was on an interstate I 10. No dairy cow possible or likely. And it was dusk, headlights not effective yet but his grey trailer blended in and he didn’t have effective reflectors. My point was at a 15-20 mph delta you can overtake very quickly and if your that guy who’s always traveling that speed realize you’re adding risk to everyone moving with traffic.

I might have been surprised but that’s cause I didn’t expect ‘that guy’ to be traveling that much slower that traffic. And it wasn’t a panic or emergency reaction, I just slide around him like he was standing still.

Hexx at 75 I was getting passed regularly and was not towing.

Safety is not just going slow, it’s being safe for conditions- that means traveling with the speed of traffic, having well maintained equipment, loaded properly, not driving distracted etc.
Your last paragraph has been my response also, there is much more than speed to consider, proper loading, proper adjustment of all weight distribution and sway control, gain on trailer brakes set correctly, check air pressures and condition of all tires, etc.
it was not dusk, we were there when this happened and it was mid afternoon. There appears to have been a major failure before he got to bridge that involved hot metal starting a fire on side of road.
Thank God they were OK and check those safety chains!!
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:42 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
The "Super Trucker" comes in all shapes and sizes.Commercial and non commercial drivers.But they are easy to spot.
I'll stay on combination vehicles, as this thread addresses.This bridge wreck involved high speed operation, that went bad.
The one trait they all share, is the belief that anyone not doing the speed limit ( or above, in most cases) regardless of conditions,like most of them roll , is an obstruction to their high speed operation, and should not be operating " on their road"
The worst offenders, because of the tremendous damage they can do, because of their size, is the super trucker commercial semi driver.
We have all seen them at work, literally a foot or 2 off someone's bumper, at 70 MPH.
Regardless of road conditions.
Driving rain,snowstorms,ice covered roads, etc etc , do not slow the super trucker.Thats where he's at his best display of his high speed operation.Hes riding that slower bumper,simply because that slower vehicle dares to be out there in his way.
That commercial driver should lose his licence immediately for that bumper riding stunt they like.
In millions of miles of tractor trailer operation, I've watched super truckers just like that ,kill themselves, as well as others, in horrific wrecks.Its hard for me to even think about a lot of them I've seen.
Where humans are jammed through wreckage like through a giant meat grinder.They make this bridge wreck look like a fender bender.
All thanks to the super trucker.
Speed kills.
This is for the brand new, or newer drivers, to combination vehicles, who are looking at this wreck.Slow down.Dont overdrive your limited skills.It could very well be you, this summer, rolled over.Or worse.
This will have zero influence on the super truckers.They are special.
But I probably don't know what I'm talking about, watch....
Old 03-21-2021, 07:10 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
B. Cole,

Very similar argument I have w/ a coworker. He thinks bicycles should not be allowed on any public roads. While I agree that restricted-access roads like an interstate, that doesn't allow farm equipment or mopeds, etc., I understand about not allowing bicycles there either, but, on public roads around town, they're too a vehicle and allowed, but he thinks because he's in a car or a pickup, that he has right to the road and they don't. It's frustrating. The road is there for the public to share, and the rules of the road are there so we can safely share it together.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote