Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2021, 10:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Post #14 Kinda indicates speed was factor, as well as loading/ sway, from skid marks per first responder, who was also a combination vehicle driver.He indicates speed limit in Idaho is 80, on that Interstate.
Skid marks occurred before that driver entered curve.He was also hanging by just one safety chain.The other chain was probably taken out by the ball mount getting torn off.Just my guess.
BTW, your top speed of 59 mph is good advice.Speed kills.Every day.Like clockwork.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:38 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , TN
Regardless of what may have happened initially to set this accident in motion, there was a reduced speed at which he could have negotiated that area safely. This is one lucky guy who gets that rare "do over". Hopefully this will not only change this driver's safety perspective, but also all of us who saw this post.
jsaucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
SEATTLE , WA
Wow - new tower here looking for advice from long haul truckers and old-timers on this list.

To avoid getting into this situation I’m going keep it slow on the road and pay close attention to how my load is balanced. Everything discussed already in this thread.

But I’m on the bridge, the trailer starts swaying and is heading to jackknife (a situation I hope to never be in because of the above). I reach down and manually engage just the trailer brakes hard, then gently ease off the gas to slow the car. Is there anything else that should be going through my mind at that moment to keep the trailer from fully jackknifing? Would love to hear from folks that have driven many more miles than us on what they would do in that situation.
bcheever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:07 AM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Bad routing for the trailer brake cable and friction bar sway. Can't see evidence of wd bars.

Thank goodness for a stout receiver and chains.
Happy all rescued. Kudos to the Excellant Rescue Crew.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6EC78BF5-18BA-4CC8-BF82-287CE611D347_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	390954  
Old 03-17-2021, 11:37 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcheever View Post
Wow - new tower here looking for advice from long haul truckers and old-timers on this list.

To avoid getting into this situation I’m going keep it slow on the road and pay close attention to how my load is balanced. Everything discussed already in this thread.

But I’m on the bridge, the trailer starts swaying and is heading to jackknife (a situation I hope to never be in because of the above). I reach down and manually engage just the trailer brakes hard, then gently ease off the gas to slow the car. Is there anything else that should be going through my mind at that moment to keep the trailer from fully jackknifing? Would love to hear from folks that have driven many more miles than us on what they would do in that situation.
bcheever, if you found yourself in the situation this guy was in there is not much you could do. The steps you mention are appropriate for a mild case of sway, if you don't apply the trailer brakes hard enough to cause the trailer wheels to skid. In this case he had too many things going on, excessive, speed, skidding, and significant weight added to the back of the trailer. No amount of skillful driving could over come this tsunami of problems. Just because you can purchase or build a rack to hold all the things that were reported to be on the rear rack, doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so. All weight behind the axels, both trailer weight and added gear, intensifies any sway condition. That's why you don't see overhang behind rear axels on 18 wheelers. Weight aft of the axels also reduces tongue weight which also reduces trailer stability. Bottom line; Speed was his most damaging problem. The other stuff may have been manageable at a slower speed.
jsaucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:13 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Pop Quiz:

If your trailer starts to wag the dog, what do you do?

A: Hit the gas to speed up and get the trailer to straighten out

B: Slam on the brakes

C: Get off the gas

D: Apply the trailer brakes

E: Hold on, hope your life insurance up to date, your tow vehicle and trailer insurance is paid and pray

The answer is D. By applying the trailer brakes you stand a better chance of getting control of the trailer.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:24 PM   #27
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
It is very fortunate that the remaining safety chain held. I would sure like to know the chain's rating. The trailer "A" frame wound up vertical, had it not, the frame would not have held up a 8,000# truck for the lack of vertical bracing. Therefore, the trailer had to roll vertical before the trucks weight was applied to the frame. Sway can start at much lower speeds than most people realize. I have seen it happen at 35 MPH. It depends on all the dynamics, not just speed. If the dynamics are right you can get sway at almost any speed. I would like to see a test of the same circumstances with a trapezoid design hitch like Hensley or ProPride. I have watched a tractor trailer jacknife when the road was so slick the trailer rear wheels had no braking effect to prevent rear end from coming around. In some cases, after certain dynamics have developed, an accident is inevitable. There is no corrective action available. The only thing preventing a catastrophic. event in this accident were the safety chains and one of them failed due to overload.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I believe I will bookmark this for the next time someone posts that a one-ton truck solves all problems.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:25 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Wow! The “pucker factor” in the truck cab whilst waiting for heavy rescue must have been off the charts, as well as the “laundry problem”. Those of us in the military know what I’m referring to...
So you're saying there was more than one pair of shorts full of bricks in that truck?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:43 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I believe I will bookmark this for the next time someone posts that a one-ton truck solves all problems.
True, but... anything less than a one-ton in this situation would most likely have fared worse...
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzabe View Post
Pop Quiz:

If your trailer starts to wag the dog, what do you do?

A: Hit the gas to speed up and get the trailer to straighten out

B: Slam on the brakes

C: Get off the gas

D: Apply the trailer brakes

E: Hold on, hope your life insurance up to date, your tow vehicle and trailer insurance is paid and pray

The answer is D. By applying the trailer brakes you stand a better chance of getting control of the trailer.
A....Without the hit part.👍 and D

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-17-2021, 07:47 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
Don't forget the wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaucier View Post
Hopefully this will not only change this driver's safety perspective, but also all of us who saw this post.
He would have the rarest of wives if she didn't remind him every time he accelerates past 50 mph about hanging by a thread over the edge.

Mike
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My DW would probably never ride with me again!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:39 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
True, but... anything less than a one-ton in this situation would most likely have fared worse...
Or would it? It could also be said that a 1-ton can mask setup and stability issues, while giving a false sense of confidence. Potentially lending to a more severe situation if one were to arise. Not unlike this one.

It should be understood that there is no single mitigation and accidents are often borne out of multiple causal factors.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:47 PM   #35
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I’m thankful that they survived. An event of that magnitude will change your perspective on life forever no doubt. We should all hug or call or write a loved one tonight and be grateful that it wasn’t one of us who was in that awful situation regardless of how it all went down.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:39 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
If the speed limit is 80 I wouldn’t advise doing 59. I’d rather fix the setup than drive in misery in heavy, fast traffic. Speeds through Detroit, even in 55 mph zones, are more like 70 and there is zero enforcement. I try to go with the flow, minimize lane changes and don’t freak out whenever someone merges.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:41 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Or would it? It could also be said that a 1-ton can mask setup and stability issues, while giving a false sense of confidence. Potentially lending to a more severe situation if one were to arise. Not unlike this one.

It should be understood that there is no single mitigation and accidents are often borne out of multiple causal factors.
A one ton truck and diesel power and torque beats a half ton every time, not to mention beefier frame, receiver, and general construction. It doesn’t handle nimbly, but driven properly, it doesn’t need to.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:36 AM   #38
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
A one ton truck and diesel power and torque beats a half ton every time, not to mention beefier frame, receiver, and general construction. It doesn’t handle nimbly, but driven properly, it doesn’t need to.
In your mind.😂

'If the speed limit is 80 I wouldn’t advise doing 59. I’d rather fix the setup than drive in misery in heavy, fast traffic. Speeds through Detroit, even in 55 mph zones, are more like 70 and there is zero enforcement. I try to go with the flow, minimize lane changes and don’t freak out whenever someone merges."

Got it, if your 70mph in a 55 zone and I 60, I'm the one that's unsafe. Bull chips.

Please stop with the inane advise.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-18-2021, 07:33 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Roberta View Post
One wonders—was it overspeed? was it wind? was it a tire blowout? was it an inattentive driver, head turned 90 degrees to the roadway?
Once you start to speculate, you can imagine lots of scenarios. Maybe he was rear ended by a semi? Maybe his tow vehicle fell apart? Maybe his cat jumped on his face like the alien in the movie! Maybe his wife was nagging him and he decided to end it all?
See, once you start, it never ends.
"I know it was that case of water he stored under the bed, and I'll post this picture in every "water under the bed" thread!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Roberta View Post
TOP TOP SPEED—59mph. No sneaking into the 60s just ‘cause the road’s straight and true.
If 59 is good, wouldn't 49 be better? Eventually, THEY'RE the hazard.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:57 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Made the NBC national news tonight. Just saw the story about 5 minutes ago. Rescued the wife and husband and 2 dogs in the truck.

Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaucier View Post
bcheever, if you found yourself in the situation this guy was in there is not much you could do. The steps you mention are appropriate for a mild case of sway, if you don't apply the trailer brakes hard enough to cause the trailer wheels to skid. In this case he had too many things going on, excessive, speed, skidding, and significant weight added to the back of the trailer. No amount of skillful driving could over come this tsunami of problems. Just because you can purchase or build a rack to hold all the things that were reported to be on the rear rack, doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so. All weight behind the axels, both trailer weight and added gear, intensifies any sway condition. That's why you don't see overhang behind rear axels on 18 wheelers. Weight aft of the axels also reduces tongue weight which also reduces trailer stability. Bottom line; Speed was his most damaging problem. The other stuff may have been manageable at a slower speed.
This guy, pulling this big "Bumper Pull/ Tongue Pull " trailer, like all Airstreams in this forum are, got extremely lucky.
Any bumper pull trailer is a very different animal from a 5th Wheel pulled trailer, like a camper pulled by a 5th Wheel mounted in pickup truck bed.Or a Semi trailer.
Unlike a 5th Wheel trailer, any bumper pull trailer is very susceptible to trailer sway The causes of sway are many.
Most people don't know this, but almost all bumper pull trailers are only rated for safe operation to 65 MPH.
Some cargo bumper pull trailers are speed rated lower than 65 MPH.
Also, if the weight of your bumper pull trailer is over 50% of weight of Tow Vehicle, a Weight Distribution hitch(WD hitch) should be used.
Besides excessive speed+ proper trailer loading,( loading weight to front of trailer axle(s), proper tongue weight of bumper pull trailers is critical to prevent sway.It should be between 10%-15 % of total trailer weight.Closer to high end is better.
Trailer sway of smaller bumper pulled trailers is often initiated by the smaller trailer+ it's Tow vehicle,being passed by a Semi tractor+ trailer.
2 forces are at work on the smaller trailer, as it is being passed by the Semi Trailer.
The first is the initial Bow wind wave,as the turbulent wind that the trailer causes, pushed on the side of the smaller trail, causing potential sway generation.
Then, the 2nd force,is the Vacuum Vortex,which forms at tail of Semi trailer.It will then pull the smaller trailer towards it.Whats worse, is the Vortex hits the smaller trailer first, before it hits its tow vehicle, further amplifying the effect if sway is initiated in the smaller trailer.
Other factors, like uneven roads, can initiate dangerous sway in bumper pull trailers.