Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Rock Protector Choices

What type of removable. "mud flap" rock protectors are available? I pull a 19' Bambi with an 04 Suburban 2500. Do most attach to the bumper, body, or hitch itself? Who makes them and how much?

Thank you.
bensonortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
EnKay Rock Tamers or ???

Welcome to the Forum! I think of you search the archives you will find some threads on this very topic. I guess first off, you'll want to decide if you want flaps permanently mounted to your vehicle, or if you want them to be removable. If removable, you'll probably want to look at ones that mount to the hitch shank bar (a "L-shaped" bar that a weight distribution hitch head bolts to (or is welded to in some cases).

If you are looking at those options, I can help, as that is what I have. If you want to permanent "body mount" mud flap, I can be of no help other than to say that I'm sure there are several choices.

Now on the "hitch mount" mud flaps, several of us on the Forum use EnKay "Rock Tamers". These are the "Cadillac" of of removable Mudflaps - well made, very adjustible, and they can be broken down into smaller subassemblies for storage, but not inexpensive (about $225 to $235). I think most of use would say they are worth the price, however.

Other less expensive options include the Roadmaster "Roadwing" (a "one piece" design), and the Blue Ox Sport Guards (I think these can be broken down into halves). I think these two may be in the $150 to $200 range. There are even one or two "cheaper yet" types, like the "cheap" ones sold at Cabella's (CMP Mud Flap - the cheapest I have seen at $100).

My vote would be for the EnKay Rock Tamers, for several benefits they offer over the other choices:
- The height, angle, width, and fore-aft position of the flaps can be adjusted. On others the width is the only possible adjustment, and then that is acheived only by drilling new mounting holes in the flaps and not centering them on the mounting brackets.
- They break down nicely for storage, just leaving a bracket on the hitch shank. This is important, because the total weight of the hitch shank, hitch head, and full mud flaps gets pretty high pretty quickly. I install the hitch in the hitch receiver and then insert the mud flaps in the bracket on the hitch shank to keep the weight I have to lift at one time lower. (If lifted completely together, my hitch and mudflap assembly is over 70lbs.!, if I remember correctly).
- The materials used for the flaps and mounting brackets seem to be top rate.
- They take the least room when installed on the hitch shank (1.1" total), which is done by sliding a mounting bracket on from the front of the shank. Several other brands require more room on the shank than this. I needed to keep to about 1" maximum unless I wanted to risk needing to cut the webbing on my hitch shank to make room (this is something I wouldn't realistically consider, as it might weaken my extremely long 8" drop shank).

I think you should pay close attention to width. I set my flaps slightly wider than the truck to protect from rocks thrown at the corners of the trailer, which is wider than the H2. For the H2, I actually had to go with the "Dually" version of the Rock Tamers, to be able to set them wide enough. Most "non-dually" tow vehicles, however, would probably be OK with the "normal" Rock Tamers, which I believe to be the widest "non-dually" set available (in addition to being fully adjustible).

Whatever, you choice, good luck.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
That's not fair . . .

I just went to the EnKay web site (http://www.mudflaps.com/) and they've made the "non-dually" version adjust up to 3" wider than when I ordered mine last year. The "non-dually" set now adjusts out to 81.75" (was only 78.75"). I probably could have gotten by with the "non-dually" units (and saved a few bucks) if they had been 3" wider when I purchased. Oh, well.

Interesting, the minimum width on the "dually unit" has increased from 80" to 82" since I purchased.

Anyway, by comparison, most other brands are a maximum of 77" wide for their "non-dually" versions.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I luv my Enkay's. Is there any other?

John
Old 03-29-2005, 09:11 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
John HD fabricated one of these beasts....I also just found this last Friday while surfing the web one evening...I hope to see it in a few days. Glad to hear they are as good as I had hoped!

They aren't cheap, but neither is a hosptial visit for a heart attack after seeing rock dents on the front of the coach that could have been avoided by taking the time and doing the right thing.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:06 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info. As usual it sounds like you get what you pay for.
bensonortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Based on your recommendations, I just called Enkay and ordered a set.

In the course of talking with Mary (a real sweetheart) I mentioned that it was from the Airstream Forum that I heard of them, and that the flaps were spoken of quite highly. She was so glad to hear that, she gave me a 10% discount. Now I have the problem of figuring out how to split it with you!

thanks for the advice.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
I agree with Joe's reasons for Enkay. I've had mine for several years, with two different setups, and their flexibility and quality have assured me that Enkay is a great product.
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I recently had a machine shop modify my Enkay Rock Tamer so that it could be used with the Hensley Arrow hitch. It was modified more than the information I posted earlier under "Rock Tamer and Hensley Arrow" due to the 6" drop of the bar I have. It works great.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:04 AM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
home made

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
John HD fabricated one of these beasts....I also just found this last Friday while surfing the web one evening...I hope to see it in a few days. Glad to hear they are as good as I had hoped!

They aren't cheap, but neither is a hosptial visit for a heart attack after seeing rock dents on the front of the coach that could have been avoided by taking the time and doing the right thing.
i made mine from some angle iron and a set of montana flaps i had lying around! it was about a ten beer project!

it slides over the draw bar and has no other means of fastening, simple slip on off design.

keep in mind that these stop 99% of all rocks but a few "ricochettes" still manage to get by. overall i'm pleased with how they work. a good set of flaps on the truck help also.

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small_flaps.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	11381   Click image for larger version

Name:	mudflaps3small.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	11382  

Old 04-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Thanks to John HD for the inspiration

When I investigated mudflaps, I found that I had two options:
A) Enkay Rock Tamers ($199 + shipping + tax) from Cabelas
A longer stinger from Hensley ($195 + shipping + tax) which would extend
an additional 6 inches out.

or,

B) Two plain black rubber mudflaps from NAPA ($11.99 ea + tax) (No John,
they did not have the Montana version)
Hot dipped Galvanized screws, washers, and nuts from Home Depot ($14)
A $20 contribution to the Argon gas fund.
Scrap steel and welding sevices from a friend who is a professional welder
and who I swap favors with.($priceless)
Some leftover galvanizing primer and black automotive paint from a previous
project.

Needless to say, I went with option B.
Here are a couple of photos.

Thanks to the forum for the great ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mudflaps 009.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	20815   Click image for larger version

Name:	mudflaps 002.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	20816  

AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Enkays from Cabelas are just great! A couple of weeks ago we returned from a 2,200 mile trip with ours installed for the first time. We'd also installed the tall stainless steel rock guards on our '04 Classic. Upon close inspection after the trip we found not one ding on the new guards. We highly recommend the Enkays.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:13 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
sander,

nice set of flaps!

gotta love saving some cash and ending up with such a nice result!

john
Old 04-26-2006, 08:36 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
less expensive alternative

I bought one of these Rock Solid flaps and have been using it a fair amount this spring with great satisfaction. After looking them over in the store for fit and finish, I purchased it locally for $90. For sure it is not as fancy or as adjustable as the $200 option from Cabela's, but for half the price, ($76 on line shipped; http://www.dyersonline.com/pc-2677-1...-truckvan.aspx), I believe it to be a product worthy of a look-see.

Before finding these, I was set to manufacture a set as others have done, however, my welding skills are a few steps below my plumbing skills, which ain't saying much.

The photo depicts the flap attached to the bumper of a motor home. The style I purchased slides over the receiver.

Name:   rock solid.jpg
Views: 2357
Size:  6.8 KB
Old 04-26-2006, 08:46 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I'm on my second Airstream, and chips and dings from road gravel seem to be inevitable, to some degree. My present trailer came with the stainless rock guards, and I use a hitch mounted guard (Rock Solid) on the truck.

Since I often drive on gravel roads to get to NFS campgrounds (last 5 miles of most trips), I bought a roll of bubble wrap and just tape it over the areas on the front of the trailer that are still exposed. The tape doesn't seem to hurt the finish (I take it off between trips), and it protects against the rocks that seem to get through no matter what kind of guards or flaps I use.
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:51 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
alaskan highway

I remeber helping my father attach styrafoam to the front and road side windows prior to his trip to Alaska. When we removed the foam from the road side windows, we found quite a few rocks imbedded in the material.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:28 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Running Springs , California
Go with the 'Rock Tamers' Hands down! I have both. I purchased the 'Roadwing' from Hitchfinder.com and received it from UPS. I then went to the Forums and found a thread regarding rock protection. Everyone likes the Rock Tamer. So, I bought one and I love it, too. Bottom line: Rock Tamer is adjustable. Road wing requires you to cut the mudflap to size! What a @#$%ing joke! You would be really limited by this system if you want to tow with a vehicle other than the one you fit it for initially. Also, I tried to return the Roadwing to Hitchfinder.com and the return request function of their website is disabled and I left messages on 5 different voice mail boxes! To no avail. I think Roadmaster owns Hitchfinder and they were no better at helping me get service from their 'distributor.' If you want to return something to Hitchfiner.com, good luck! I won't, buy from them again. Go to www.Cableas.com and you can get the 'Rock Tamers' for $199.00.
geosouth is offline   Reply With Quote