Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Roadmaster suspension kit

I wanted something to give more stability towing my 28' AS with my 2017 F150. I did a fair amount of research looking at airbags, shocks, and other add ons.

I finally came to the conclusion the Roadmaster Suspension kit was the best option.

https://activesuspension.com

It raises the rear of my F150 about 1 inch, but it clearly stabilized things a great deal. I had zero porpoising. The rear of the truck felt much more stable. The ride was improved some. My wife got headaches before in the pickup when we traveled (prone to migraines) due to ride. This time out she would start to get a headache after 2 hours. So we figured 2 hours, we stop, get out, etc Her headache went away after about 10 to 15 minutes. Headache issue solved.

Also it clearly levels things out on the back of the pickup. It squats an inch less after the WDH is applied. I think that causes the improvement in the ride.

Anyway it might be something worth checking out if you want to help improve your suspension in the F150 without spending a fortune.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Chester County , Pennsylvania
About to pull the trigger on a set, HD or standard is the Q?!
Sidwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidwar View Post
About to pull the trigger on a set, HD or standard is the Q?!
I have the HD. Work great. I have an F150XLT.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We installed the Roadmaster kit on our Airstream B190 van (Ford E-350) and we liked it. I recall the price seemed reasonable, installation wasn't too bad (a few hours) and it has several adjustment features to dial in the amount of compensation needed.

For some reason, who knows why... I decided to use a different system on our GMC 1500 truck - SuperSprings SSA28 also fits the F-150. The kit has stopped the porpoising and generally makes the truck ride better in my opinion. Time will tell if we like the SuperSprings solution years from now.

The Roadmaster and SuperSprings solutions are in the $450 price range and buyers can often obtain a 10-15% discount meeting with the factory rep at a trade show.

Good to hear that the Roadmaster kit solved your issues. And good to know there are alternate solutions too. Competition in the aftermarket industry is a good thing.

On Edit: OOPS! I was wrong about the prices. The Roadmaster kit is $450 - $550 (regular - HD) and the SuperSprings kit is $388. I'm not trying to sway anyone one way or another. I didn't realize the prices were so much different. Perhaps the price is why I chose SuperSprings for our truck... really can't recall. The prices mentioned above are from the manufacturer web sites. Other retailers may offer lower prices.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Daquenzer, are you using in conjunction with a WD hitch? Just curious your setup and why you chose the HD. I was hoping the standard would be less "impact" while not towing and also be a good combo for use with a WD hitch.

I have a 28' FC, 2020 F150 XLT MaxTow and a Reese Steady Flex WD setup. Still dialing in but regardless the wavy ride has got to go. Plenty of power and stability already but I can tell the ass end of the truck needs a little help!
Old 06-15-2021, 07:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Another gimmick……just buy a 3/4 ton
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Great input tjdonaoe........
Old 06-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I’ve had the Road Master on my Titan XD for about three months now, about 1500 miles of towing.

I got it because my new(er) 27FB has a higher tongue weight than my previous AS (31’ Sovereign) and there was a bit of bounce going on, especially on segmented concrete roads/bridges.

With the RM installed I get a little less sag when i drop the trailer on the ball so I had to adjust the stinger up a set of holes. TV and trailer dead level.

The new setup vastly dampens any tendency to oscillate vertically, Before, if I hit a pothole or a malformed expansion joint, it would take a couple of cycles to dampen out. Nothing violent mind you, just a few waves but annoying. Now, in the same scenario, any displacement vertically is dampened almost instantly. I really Ike the improvement.

It is a pretty easy install if you have a set of jack stands and a floor jack, no drilling or welding. I didn’t have the jack so I paid to have it installed. Cost me 1.5 hours stop time (about $200).
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Got the roadmaster kit installed on my 2020 F150 Supercrew. Went with the standard version and first had it set to the 40% setting. When drove, the truck was beyond stiff unloaded so I readjusted to 25% setting and unloaded it handles and drives much better. Takes bumps with less wavy suspension and handles a bit sportier as well. Have yet to tow with kit installed but will come back and update if there is interest in the thread.

Truck sits about 1/2 inch higher in rear with 25% setting and 1 inch higher when was set to 40%. Front increase is nominal at 25% to about 1/4 inch on 40% setting.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Another gimmick……just buy a 3/4 ton
Because I don't like the 3/4 ton ride and turning radius. I am a real estate appraiser and use my truck for work. If I had a 3/4 ton I would be in constant trouble with narrow driveways.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidwar View Post
Daquenzer, are you using in conjunction with a WD hitch? Just curious your setup and why you chose the HD. I was hoping the standard would be less "impact" while not towing and also be a good combo for use with a WD hitch.

I have a 28' FC, 2020 F150 XLT MaxTow and a Reese Steady Flex WD setup. Still dialing in but regardless the wavy ride has got to go. Plenty of power and stability already but I can tell the ass end of the truck needs a little help!
The HD was recommended on their site if the tongue weight was above a certain weight. And mine was.

Also I don't need to crank up the WD quite as high to level out the truck. I bring up the tower on my propride hitch about 1/2 inch lower. The truck rides just about at the angle like nothing is hitched in terms of the feel inside.

Frankly it is really like adding a spring to the back of the truck.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Roadmaster and ProPride hitch have been my final efforts to keep the F-150 as a tow vehicle for my 2017 International 25FB. Eliminated porpoising. Front end of TV near unhitched level. All good there.

Except, very little payload remains after 1000# of tongue, full fuel, two smallish humans.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
Roadmaster and ProPride hitch have been my final efforts to keep the F-150 as a tow vehicle for my 2017 International 25FB. Eliminated porpoising. Front end of TV near unhitched level. All good there.

Except, very little payload remains after 1000# of tongue, full fuel, two smallish humans.
Everyone has different needs. I just pack the bed of the pickup with the light stuff. Also we have a rear bedroom, so my tongue weight doesn’t balloon due to front storage. Plus at this point in our lives we are not out for long extended periods. If we went on long extended trips (which I doubt we will ever do because my wife doesn’t like driving and riding) I might go with a 3/4 ton.

One thing I did is order my 2020 F150 with 20” wheels. Added 200lbs more to the rear axle weight rating. Plus I’m more concerned about the overall weight on the axles. Not so OCD on payload. I know that is anathema to some. And I certainly am aware of it.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Everyone has different needs. I just pack the bed of the pickup with the light stuff. Also we have a rear bedroom, so my tongue weight doesn’t balloon due to front storage. Plus at this point in our lives we are not out for long extended periods. If we went on long extended trips (which I doubt we will ever do because my wife doesn’t like driving and riding) I might go with a 3/4 ton.

One thing I did is order my 2020 F150 with 20” wheels. Added 200lbs more to the rear axle weight rating. Plus I’m more concerned about the overall weight on the axles. Not so OCD on payload. I know that is anathema to some. And I certainly am aware of it.
All good points.

Leaving off some options, such as my useless sunroof, increases payload.

If all our trips were short and nearby (no need for full fuel, no longer drive days, avoid inclement weather), and we always had shore power (no need for the generator), the half-ton truck would be fine.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:06 AM   #15
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Looks pretty good. Curious why you chose this approach over after market air bags which can be adjusted as needed to match load?

I tow near max rear axle weight rating on my gmc 2500 and airbags do a nice job improving ride quality, handling and keeping things level when towing. I back down pressures when not towing to ensure I’m not over sprung on lighter loads…
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Looks pretty good. Curious why you chose this approach over after market air bags which can be adjusted as needed to match load?

I tow near max rear axle weight rating on my gmc 2500 and airbags do a nice job improving ride quality, handling and keeping things level when towing. I back down pressures when not towing to ensure I’m not over sprung on lighter loads…
When I was researching I talked to a company in Green Bay that works with accessories like suspensions (specialty). The owner dissuaded me from putting airbags on. 1) He said airbags will not stop axle wrap and stabilize the back end. 2) He said airbags are expensive and require more maintenance; especially if one gets a hole in it. 3) He said the roadmaster is what he uses on his pickup for pulling his RV.

He could have sold me a air suspension system for $2,000. But the fact he was pushing something far cheaper and easier to maintain made sense. I figure listen to the experts.

The roadmaster has not really affected my ride in any noticeable way. I never have to think about it. I never have to mess with filling and releasing the air. The simplicity and effectiveness is its allure. And it is way cheaper.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:07 AM   #17
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer;
When I was researching I talked to a company in Green Bay that works with accessories like suspensions (specialty). The owner dissuaded me from putting airbags on. 1) He said airbags will not stop axle wrap and stabilize the back end. 2) He said airbags are expensive and require more maintenance; especially if one gets a hole in it. 3) He said the roadmaster is what he uses on his pickup for pulling his RV.

He could have sold me a air suspension system for $2,000. But the fact he was pushing something far cheaper and easier to maintain made sense. I figure listen to the experts.

The roadmaster has not really affected my ride in any noticeable way. I never have to think about it. I never have to mess with filling and releasing the air. The simplicity and effectiveness is its allure. And it is way cheaper.

Sweet thanks so much for sharing this feedback I appreciate it. It sounds like that’s a great system. I hadn’t looked into that when I got my airbags. I would’ve definitely considered it.

Just a note on the cost of airbags… As with anything the Devil is in the details :-) I paid 400 for my airbags and I installed them myself.

A dealer quoted me 800 installed. That did not include an automatic compressor so I can see that if you start adding that gear plus additional labor hours for the install the price could most definitely head towards the 2000 mark including taxes.

Thanks again for sharing your insights here that sounds like a great system you’ve got. I’m a big fan of supplementing factory leaf springs for improved ride characteristics when towing when appropriate. Ram I think have got this right I think with Air suspension that’s available from the factory.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote