Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
riding a bit high

Hi all,

We've got a 2016 flying cloud bambi 19ft and TV is a 2019 jeep grand cherokee summit. (We got both in May). I recently noticed that the front of the AS rides a little high when attached to the blueOx wd system. Not much, but probably about an inch higher if I put a level on the top camper's front frame.

I'm thinking some of this may be caused by the auto air suspension system in the TV. They say that as you get up to freeway speeds, the suspension lowers a bit. My guess is that would thus lower the nose of the camper also.

Towing seems to be okay but I do bottom out occasionally on rear bumper fins.

Any suggestions? Should I worry about it, get a longer shank? If I do get a longer blue ox shank, will that put the bars too low?
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Carrollton , Texas
I'd do some "official" research - Some air-suspensions don't play nice with weight distribution hitches. I don't have an answer, but I think more research is warranted.
grumblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
3rd RV, First Airstream

2021 27' International
Orlando , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to ETroup
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmall01 View Post
Hi all,

We've got a 2016 flying cloud bambi 19ft and TV is a 2019 jeep grand cherokee summit. (We got both in May). I recently noticed that the front of the AS rides a little high when attached to the blueOx wd system. Not much, but probably about an inch higher if I put a level on the top camper's front frame.

I'm thinking some of this may be caused by the auto air suspension system in the TV. They say that as you get up to freeway speeds, the suspension lowers a bit. My guess is that would thus lower the nose of the camper also.

Towing seems to be okay but I do bottom out occasionally on rear bumper fins.

Any suggestions? Should I worry about it, get a longer shank? If I do get a longer blue ox shank, will that put the bars too low?

It is better to be level or slightly nose down .

My 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Limited has four corners airbag suspension. You are supposed to pick a ride height you want to use for towing (Normal) and deactivate the airbags by putting system in Jack Mode.

Go through process of adjusting a WDH. After you are all done hen activate Air Bags. I ended up leaving the Ram on the lower “Aerodynamic” ride height.
ETroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
IMHO, you need to check your WD setup

1. With no AS, measure front and rear on the TV, from ground to the top of the inner fender; lets say it read 24"R /22"F

2. Add the AS on the hitch with no WD, remeasure; lets say it read 20"R /23"F

3. now add the WD and use your current setup. When you measure this time, look at the delta from step one. You are good to go if the delta is close ie -3" each 21R/19F

if the delta is more on the rear, you don't have enough WD, just like step 2 shows

if the delta is more on the front, you have applied too much WD

also its good to go to a truck triple scale and measure twice.
1 when all setup
2. with the WD disconnected

that way you will know real numbers
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The shanks holes are 1 1/4 apart so one hole down would be better than what you describe. As others have indicated level or slightly low is better than slightly high. Trailer inertia is better managed when the trailer is level. Just a touch low is better managed than a touch high.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
An advantage to the 19' is that it has a single axle and thereby lacks the sensitivity to being a little out of level that two-axle trailers have. In other words, a bit off level probably is not a problem.

We have in the past and presently tow our 19' with Jeep Grand Cherokees with air suspension. Use the jack mode (self-leveling disabled) when first setting up your weight distribution so you can see if the Jeep is pretty much level with the weight distribution set at what you intend to tow with.

As far as I know, it is not possible to disable the self-leveling aspect of the air suspension when actually driving/towing. Jack mode is for when the Jeep is not in motion. We like the self-leveling of the air suspension.

Aero mode only drops the Jeep about 1/2".

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
Riding high

Thanks all for your input. I've come to understand like Tim states that for single axel trailers it's ok if I'm riding a bit high. Parked, it's about 2" lower in back than front. I'd have to buy a longer shank in order to correct. I'll just keep as is.

Jim
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Thanks all for your input. I've come to understand like Tim states that for single axel trailers it's ok if I'm riding a bit high. Parked, it's about 2" lower in back than front. I'd have to buy a longer shank in order to correct. I'll just keep as is.

Jim
You can't flip your shank or go up 1 hole, or down one hole?
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:06 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:

Jim
NOT...especially for single axle trailers. They need to be level or slightly nose down with at least 15% tongue weight.
What is your TW? Where is your trailer weight bias, load rear, center, forward?

POI, a lower shank not longer.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Two inches is more than the what I meant with a slight difference. Bob is right, buy a shank that drops the front of the trailer. In our efforts to keep our trailer level over the years, we are now on our third Hensley stinger, each with a different amount of drop.

My point was that dual-axle trailers are sensitive to being slightly off level because one axle or the other is carrying more of the trailer's weight.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I agree with being slightly nose down. Even when pulling a cargo trailer being a bit nose down is better when it is full. Although I am amazed at how many people tow cargo trailers with nose up (visibly).
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Dexter gives good information in their Applications Manual (on page 6 there is instruction about towing level)>
https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...rsn=d837e048_2

In regard to axle load and towing characteristics, the level of the trailer on a single axle trailer is less critical than a dual or triple axle.

IMO, on a single axle trailer, raising or lowering the hitch an inch or so does not change towing characteristics a lot as long as the weight inside the trailer is distributed so that tongue weight is proper. Tongue high can affect the air resistance against the front of the trailer where the top of the trailer is higher than the top of the tow vehicle.

Dexter states in their instruction: On a multi axle trailer having the tongue of the trailer low or high does affect the towing characteristics because it places unequal load on the axles. IMO, if level is not possible, the tongue slightly high is better and will be more stable but tongue weight will increase. Tongue low will increase the tendency for trailer sway because tongue weight is decreased as the trailer weight pivots more on the forward axle load balance is incorrect.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would get the longer shank and go down 1 hole.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 07:41 PM   #14

2020 23' Globetrotter
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
I had a 2018 Grand Cherokee Summit with 19cb and experienced the same problem. The air suspension didn’t solve the height issue so went to a longer shank. That set trailer and truck level but the shank would drag in some driveways. It did pull better.
Dtjeep67 is offline   Reply With Quote