Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Review Hensley Arrow & Pro-Pride sway elimination

I towed over 7,000 miles using both an Equalizer and Blue Ox Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) which function very similar. They do as intended, they distribute weight to the front wheels which helps immensely with stability. That being said...I decided to sell my (WDH) and purchase a Hensley Arrow... My opinions and experience in this discussion is on the sway elimination hitch (SEH) technology which is both Hensley & ProPride, not a comparison of the two. When purchasing, I looked at both. Quite honestly, I couldn’t see a significant benefit one over the other. I chose the orange one (Hensley) due to being the first one I was introduced to, they gave me $300 in goodies, and the color will possibly save my shin in the dark.
I have been towing trailers, boats and now travel trailers for 29 years. I feel that I am as good behind the wheel with a trailer as anyone. When deciding, I routinely came across a thread from someone stating the (SEH) is too expensive, not worth the money. My guess is, 100% of these opinions came from people who haven’t experienced an (SEH). I was going to use the comparison of purchasing an F150 Platinum over an XLT. Unfortunately, this comparison isn’t accurate, one only has more bells & whistles. This isn’t bells & whistles...this is more like comparing a bird to an elephant. One walks on the ground, the other flies through the air...two completely different animals. (WDH) distributes weight, (SEH) eliminates sway.
I use the Hensley to pair my F-150 to my FC 30 Bunk. Immediately, the most noticeable difference is you can’t feel the trailer at all. Other than the truck working harder to pull more weight, the truck feels and handles as it does without a trailer. Pulling my AS for the past 7,000+ miles with the (WDH) really added to fatigue. On our last trip from Minneapolis to southern Cal, the 20+ mph crosswinds the entire way caused sway. The suction when passing larger vehicles, even slightly from high speed smaller vehicles... It all contributed to fatigue. The entire time driving with the (WDH) I would “think”, this is manageable, that could have been worse, I’m glad my wife’s not driving...
Once up to cruising speed using an (SEH) with crosswinds, passing both oncoming and neighboring large vehicles. I found myself “forgetting” one thing... ”Im pulling a trailer” No exaggeration!!!
I went round and round when I purchased my (WDH) ...should I spend the extra money and buy the (SEH)?
Now that I have an (SEH), I think only one thought. I should have bought it a year ago. Anyone contemplating this dilemma, I whole heartedly suggest you do it. Without a doubt...its worth it!!! I was really blown away how well it works!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Welcome to the pivot point project hitch club I have had a Hensley for 12 years now. They work as advertised.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have a Propride towing a 28’ with my F150. I went from Blue Ox to Propride. What a difference. A friend of mine didn’t want to spend the money. But it was miserable for him towing with his F150. I told him just do it. It will change your whole experience. So this year he laid out the dollars. He just went on a long trip and says it is a world of difference. Well worth the money.

It’s hard to explain the difference to people. But you are right. You know you are towing a trailer, but it is so much more relaxing doing so. It feels like the truck and trailer are one.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
I towed over 7,000 miles using both an Equalizer and Blue Ox Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) which function very similar. They do as intended, they distribute weight to the front wheels which helps immensely with stability. That being said...I decided to sell my (WDH) and purchase a Hensley Arrow... My opinions and experience in this discussion is on the sway elimination hitch (SEH) technology which is both Hensley & ProPride, not a comparison of the two. When purchasing, I looked at both. Quite honestly, I couldn’t see a significant benefit one over the other. I chose the orange one (Hensley) due to being the first one I was introduced to, they gave me $300 in goodies, and the color will possibly save my shin in the dark.
I have been towing trailers, boats and now travel trailers for 29 years. I feel that I am as good behind the wheel with a trailer as anyone. When deciding, I routinely came across a thread from someone stating the (SEH) is too expensive, not worth the money. My guess is, 100% of these opinions came from people who haven’t experienced an (SEH). I was going to use the comparison of purchasing an F150 Platinum over an XLT. Unfortunately, this comparison isn’t accurate, one only has more bells & whistles. This isn’t bells & whistles...this is more like comparing a bird to an elephant. One walks on the ground, the other flies through the air...two completely different animals. (WDH) distributes weight, (SEH) eliminates sway.
I use the Hensley to pair my F-150 to my FC 30 Bunk. Immediately, the most noticeable difference is you can’t feel the trailer at all. Other than the truck working harder to pull more weight, the truck feels and handles as it does without a trailer. Pulling my AS for the past 7,000+ miles with the (WDH) really added to fatigue. On our last trip from Minneapolis to southern Cal, the 20+ mph crosswinds the entire way caused sway. The suction when passing larger vehicles, even slightly from high speed smaller vehicles... It all contributed to fatigue. The entire time driving with the (WDH) I would “think”, this is manageable, that could have been worse, I’m glad my wife’s not driving...
Once up to cruising speed using an (SEH) with crosswinds, passing both oncoming and neighboring large vehicles. I found myself “forgetting” one thing... ”Im pulling a trailer” No exaggeration!!!
I went round and round when I purchased my (WDH) ...should I spend the extra money and buy the (SEH)?
Now that I have an (SEH), I think only one thought. I should have bought it a year ago. Anyone contemplating this dilemma, I whole heartedly suggest you do it. Without a doubt...its worth it!!! I was really blown away how well it works!
I'm glad it works for you and that it more than lived up to your expectations.

Here's an interesting thought though. What if a person with a standard WD hitch setup doesn't experience sway, no suction effect, stable crosswind performance, or anymore fatigue towing than without? There are those of us with setups that indeed get this level of towing performance with a standard hitch.

Would there then be value to switch to a PPP?

You sought a PPP type hitch for a reason, sounds like multiple reasons. Granted you're towing on the upper end of the spectrum with a 1/2 ton and maybe that indeed is the ticket for your specific vehicle and setup. There's many "dials" and "levers" that can be adjusted for more stability, and I agree PPP type hitch is one of the largest change one can make to dial in more stability.

There-in lies the conundrum though. How would one know off the batt that they will need a PPP type hitch. There are even HD owners here that have resorted to PPP hitch because they couldn't figure out the other stability dials to turn, so resort to overkill with HD + PPP. With equal amount of success of people with unibody passenger type tow vehicles, towing long and heavy trailers with aplomb, like those that CanamRV likes to setup.

I believe them and I believe you when it's said towing setups are dialed to a T.

My point is that there's different recipes here and multiple ways to skin a cat. It's always worth digging in deeper to figure out how best to make your setup work for you.

If I can help highlight additional stability adjustments that one can make
- hitch ball as close and tight to the rear bumper as possible (every inch counts here. Wheelbase is somewhat of a lie, it's really about wheelbase to rear overhang ratio. Reducing rear overhang has the net effect of increasing or decreasing perceived wheelbase by ~2" for most vehicles)
- tongue weight is your friend
- reduce heavy weights stored behind trailer axles, or rearmost compartments
- increase tire pressures 3-5 psi, on tow vehicle and/or trailer
- dial in enough WD tension, typically 50% FALR
- trailer is level front to back
- weight/ballast in TV is not completely a bad thing, and can increase TV influence on the trailer to a point. Too many trucks have too little weight over rear axle. Weight preferably carried ahead or over the truck rear axle, to minimize more cantilevered weight behind rear axle
- PPP type hitch!

Enjoy your newfound towing stability
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:23 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I can not comment on the towing experience of others. All I can do is share my somewhat extensive towing experience using a Hensley Arrow with my Airstreams.

We have been Airstreaming for almost fifteen years now. We have over 2,200 nights of Airstream camping, and have towed our Airstreams almost 200,000 miles. We have traveled in our Airstreams to all of the lower 48 States, Alaska, and most of the Canadian Provinces. We have had the same Hensley from the very beginning. It has been on all three of our Airstreams.

In all of our travels we have never experienced the slightest incidence of trailer sway. Regardless of traffic or road conditions. The Hensley has done as advertised, no sway - period. I realize that these high end hitches are expensive. I paid the extra money because I want to enjoy pulling my very expensive trailer.

In my travels, I have become a keen observer of traffic around me. I always watch very carefully when I am traveling behind another travel trailer, and we are passed by a semi-trailer at highway speeds. I never feel any buffeting or experience any sway but, more often than not, the trailer in front of me does what I call the "little trailer dance". If I then pass this trailer, I always check the hitch. It is never a Hensley or a ProPride.

I guess the bottom line is that I am willing to pay more for a comfortable towing experience.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
There is nothing I can say that will help someone understand the difference without experience. I was the advocate for WDH’s. It’s difficult to justify the cost of a SEH until you experience the difference. I did something that completely contradicted my original thoughts and opinions...and my eyes were opened.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:14 PM   #7
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Review Hensley Arrow & Pro-Pride sway elimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre;
There is nothing I can say that will help someone understand the difference without experience. I was the advocate for WDH’s. It’s difficult to justify the cost of a SEH until you experience the difference. I did something that completely contradicted my original thoughts and opinions...and my eyes were opened.

I agree. I had an equalizer and towed a 25 and 30’ airstream maybe 25,000-30,000 miles combined. I really liked the hitch (and still do) and I never had sway or performance issues with the equalizer. I moved to a propride a couple years ago and now have maybe 5,000 or so miles on that hitch with my 30’.

I agree that you need to drive one to appreciate the difference.

All I can say is that there is absolutely less mental fatigue driving long distances with the pro pride. Hard to explain. The entire train just handles better at all speeds.

I bought my propride gently used for $1700 bucks and sold my equalizer on Craigslist for $200 or so. So $1500 net cost.

Couldn’t be happier.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote