Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Pt Angeles , Washington
Reversing springs

A local mechanic was helping me install an anti-sway hitch to my truck for my new to me first-time airstream. He noted little clearance under the tank cleanout and asked if the springs can be reversed so that I would not have bottoming-out issues on some of the back roads I will be frequenting while fishing. Tried to search but did not find anything. Thanks, You guys are a wealth of info.
akroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
What year and model Airstream do you have?

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroyd View Post
A local mechanic was helping me install an anti-sway hitch to my truck for my new to me first-time airstream. He noted little clearance under the tank cleanout and asked if the springs can be reversed so that I would not have bottoming-out issues on some of the back roads I will be frequenting while fishing. Tried to search but did not find anything. Thanks, You guys are a wealth of info.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Pt Angeles , Washington
Reversing springs

My new toy is a 1994 22 Sovereign. She is a beauty.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
You don't have springs but torsion axles. Therefore you cannot reverse the springs.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroyd View Post
My new toy is a 1994 22 Sovereign. She is a beauty.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Airstream's ride lower than most trailers on the road. This should not be a problem but it is important that the ball height be set so that the trailer is as level as possible when hitched. If you travel on back roads, go slowly. The only issue I've noted is that on rare occasions I've found a sewer inlet that was higher than the trailer's outlet. The Sewer Solution solved this problem when it comes up.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I know what your up against. What I consider a poor design. On the 21' Sovereign the dump system is right behind the wheel and only about 8" off the ground. I always worried that with a flat or with inattention to service station driveways...BANG and it would be a big time problem. Be careful and be aware.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I've always wondered if the low carriage design dates back to the era when Airstreams were towed primarily by passenger cars? The design likely contributes to the positive towing characteristics many of us enjoy having towed other travel trailers in the past. But some TV need a pretty long drop shank to get the ball height low enough to achieve a level ride for the TT. Initially I had real concerns about dragging the tail on the sloped apron on my driveway, but my fears were unfounded. I just go slow and try to attack at an angle rather than head on.

A flat should not by itself allow the sewer connector to contact the ground unless the torsion rods in the axle(s) are extremely worn. The more likely cause of damage would come from flying chunks of tire from a blowout and that could happen regardless of trailer height.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Pt Angeles , Washington
Reversing springs

Thank you all for your responses to my uneducated question. I have a lot to learn and will no doubt come up with some more dumb ones.