Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
chalk hill , Pennsylvania
Reese dual cam help

Hello tow and hitch experts,
I switched TV to a Touareg from f-250. Had Canam do hitch reinforce. Trailer was not with me. I now have a shorter shank to put the trailer closer to the TV. Arrived home and went to hook up to the trailer and find that I need to make adjustments on the trailer since the WD bars won't fit as they did on the truck.. I've attached photos showing the cam and it looks like I have some adjustment there to make it longer or do I need to move the cam back from where its mounted on the trailer. From the center of ball to the where the cam hangs down is close about to 19..75". I can loosen the bottom lock nut on the cam but can't get at the top nut to turn it. How is that done?
thank you,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reese 002.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	194646   Click image for larger version

Name:	reese1.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	194647  

Getahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
If you are using the same hitch head, and nothing was changed on the trailer, it should fit. You do not show the bars lifted up. ???
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Same hitch head. Different shank. Shouldn't the chains hand straight down?
Old 08-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
When rig is straight, both cams should sit in the indents on the arms. From the photo it doesn't look like the chains would be vertical any way. Are you sure they were before?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The chains would be pretty vertical if the bars were tensioned properly. With the chain like in the photo, you have absolutely no sway control or weight transfer.

The hook should be in about the 4th or 5th chain link to have enough tension on the bars.

Run the jack up quite a bit and put the hooks in about the 4th chain links. Lock the hooks up and there should be some curve to the bars when you run the jack back down. Without curve in the bars, the hitch is useless.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Been a while since I have done that. My chains are almost vertical when fully hitched. To adjust the length of the arms you release the locking nut and then screw the arm in or out of the fixed nut in the cage. At least that is what I think I did. I think you need to go ahead and hitch it up and then adjust. I aslo do not see why it would not be as before? Same bars? Maybe there are different sizes of hitch head? Once you get it adjusted for height, tilt, sway arm length, then you can move the chain lifts if you want or have to. Did the new hitch head come with the Reese installation instructions? That is how I set mine up. Maybe the instructions on the web?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
You don't have to put a wrench on the top nut. Once you loosen the bottom nut, you should be able to adjust the cam out as needed. Worked for me.

It also looks like the head is tilted quite a bit forward.
NHdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The chains would be pretty vertical if the bars were tensioned properly.
True. And they don't have to be perfectly vertical.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hi Dave, this is an easy fix. 1, un hook the chain from the bracket. 2, loosen the bottom nut on the cam arm and extend the cam arm until it is just about as long as you can make it. 3, your chain has a mark on the 5th loop. Put that loop in the bracket with the cam assembly under the bar and lift into place. 4, note where the cam is riding in the bar. With the vehicle straight, the cam should be dead centre in the grove in the bar. 5, adjust the cam arm length to ensure that it is dead centre. 6, retighten the lock nut.
Now, your chains should be close to vertical but it is no big deal if they are not. I think yours are going to have about a 10 degree angle.

7, take the pressure off the chains. 8, measure the height at the front and rear fender wells and note the difference. (Car off, no airbag stuff going on) 9, hook up the chains again. 10, re measure fender well height, the difference should be the same as your first measurement. If it is, you are done, go camping. If it is not, there is two things you can do. 1, lengthen the chain by moving to loop 6. This will lower the back of the car. you cannot shorten the chain because you need at least 5 loops for making the thing function properly. 2, increase the downward angle of the wd bar by adjusting the assembly on the hitch head. This all may take some messing about over a few trips, but by doing all this stuff you will get the hang of what's going on and soon have big time faith in the system. Jim
Old 08-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Also, before you do all this stuff, just try what Pahaska said because he is correct and you may have been having no weight distribution before and didn't notice it because of the heavy duty vehicle. Jim
Old 08-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
As I stated, you do not have the bars loaded. Looking at the photo, there is a black mark on the fifth link up from the bar. Raise the trailer with the jack, put the fifth link in the hook and raise (pry) it up and over. Now see how the bar fits.
AIR #30685
Old 08-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
As I stated, you do not have the bars loaded. Looking at the photo, there is a black mark on the fifth link up from the bar. Raise the trailer with the jack, put the fifth link in the hook and raise (pry) it up and over. Now see how the bar fits.
I revisited and agree. After he try's this and if it's out of wack, then he can fiddle with it like I outlined. Might just be not understanding the theory of wheelbarrow. Jim
Old 08-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
IMHO,,, get professional help, some stuff is too serious to guess at, the stakes are just too high.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
I think I've got it

Here's the rig with the weight on the VW. Where the trailer sits is pretty level but the driveway slopes down a bit where the VW is. When I snap up the chains when the trailer is lifted up by the jack how much force should need be applied? If i made the chain 1 link longer just a little hand force was required. For the next one I had to use the bar to snap it up, which is what is shown in the picture. The next one would have required a good deal of force with the bar.
thanks,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reese2 001.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	480.3 KB
ID:	194797   Click image for larger version

Name:	reese2 002.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	194798  

Old 09-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Looks to me like you need to lower the hitch at least one maybe 2 holes down. The trailer is sitting to high in the front. The bars also need more of a load on them. I raise my trailer up almost all the way on the jack, and still have to muscle the hook over with the pry bar. Try that link that has the black mark on it and see how it does. I believe it is the 5th link up.
AIR #30685
Old 09-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The jack is down in both photos. You can't tell anything with the jack down. Raise the jack and then see how the trailer sits.

It should take at least moderate force on the bar to tip up the chain hooks, even with the nose of the trailer raised with the jack. Unless there is some bend in the bars, there is no weight transfer..
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
It looks like you are slowly getting closer to having the hook up ok. You have to do as advised. Put the 5th loop in the bracket and reef on the thing to get it in position. Make sure you put the lock pins in. Retract the jack. Shorten your safety chains a link or two. Tie up your plug in cord with some plastic ties. You will still have to do the wheel well measurements in order to ensure the delta is the same as preload. If its not, follow my previous instructions. Jim
Old 09-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hitch works great!

Thanks to all for the advice. Made it to Myrtle Beach with no trouble. Great ride with the Touareg, much improved over the truck. 14 mpg. No sway. Hitch is quiet on the highway. I'll be streaming much more now.
Dave