Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
North Ogden , Utah
reducing tongue weight

I am an utter newbie ... I have never towed anything at all... I am just jumping into the deep end... well, I suppose there are much heavier things a person could tow than an airstream trailer, but still....

I've got a Flying Cloud 25FB on order... tongue weight empty is 837 pounds witch is 15% of the base weight of 5500. The max total weight is 7300 pounds. I see the recommended tongue weight is 10% to 15% of the trailer weight. So that would be 730 pounds to 1100 pounds. 730 is less that 837!

Would it be safe / reasonable / smart to load the trailer in such a way that the tongue weight even goes down vs the base weight?

I just bought a RAM 2500 diesel to tow the airstream. The payload limit on that is 2188. If I start adding up the bits and pieces, 2188 is a bit snug. I am planning to get a cap for the truck so that's maybe 175 pounds, and maybe I will get the ProPride hitch is 200 pounds, then two adults and two small dogs, call it 400 pounds maybe. A few road snacks, call it 800 pounds of truck payload at a bare minimum, leaves 1388 for the tongue weight plus whatever we want to put in the truck bed. If I can load the trailer at the lower limit of tongue weight, that doubles how much I can carry in the truck bed.

I am sure many folks have explored all these combinations... would love to gather any wisdom... we don't expect the trailer to show up until April some time, but we're sure planning as we wait!
kukula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
You're right, this is not a new question. Trailers that have the weight concentrated near the axles have low inertial moments and will not sway so they do great at 10% tongue weight. Airstreams have cabinets, benches, beds and appliances evenly distributed throughout the trailer. they need the center of gravity well forward of the axles so the mass of the trailer pulls the axle, keeps the wheels in alignment and prevent the trailer from swaying side to side.

So travel trailers should be loaded for camping with 13-15% tongue weight. You can get by at 12% since you have a hefty vehicle if you install an excellent performing sway control hitch. You don't want to go over 15% because the tongue weight has to be managed by the tow vehicle rear axle in corners so if you put too much weight on the tongue the tow vehicle will oversteer and jackknife. It is a balancing act and best practice is 15%. You can deviate but you need to have good reason and you need to compensate for it.

Your Ram 2500 has an artificial GVWR to stay below the point DOT regulations kick in at 10,001 lbs. I would get out the pencil and estimate the vehicle's true load capacity knowing of course you'd be running afoul of the letter but not the spirit of the law in some states regarding weight. This is a safer strategy than pushing tongue weight below 13%.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
North Ogden , Utah
Thanks that is just splendid information, super helpful. The physics of sway is still a mystery to me, but not as deep now!

If I shoot for 13% of 7300, that's 950, which gives me 430 pounds of payload in the truck... that's really quite reasonable. A couple folding bicycles, folding chairs, a tent... it's going to take a while to work out what we'll be carting along, but 400 pounds is a decent budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Your Ram 2500 has an artificial GVWR to stay below the point DOT regulations kick in at 10,001 lbs.

And that is a great tip, too! Another research topic!
Old 12-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Milpitas , California
I tow my FC 30RB with a 2015 Ram 2500. The 30RB has a GVWR of 8800 and mine comes in at about 7640 with an 800 lb tongue weight. Fully loaded the truck weighs in at about 9500 when hitched up leaving me 500lbs of unused payload. I don't have a cap, but I do have a metal tonneau cover. Two adults, one small dog, a good selection of tools, etc. You should be fine.

Side note: you really don't want to start trying to reduce your hitch weight. The implications can be serious. People often suggest moving heavy items from the front of the trailer to the rear. This causes multiple problems that can cause serious sway.

Good luck and enjoy your new 25FB!
2015 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7L
JayOhBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
North Ogden , Utah
I was watching some videos like:

which gives me a general sense of the possibilities... my hope is to use the numbers to keep myself well distanced from experiencing the full range of what can happen!
Old 12-30-2020, 10:26 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Milpitas , California
Excellent! Education is the key!
2015 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7L
JayOhBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Manufacturers set payload limits based on a number of performance criteria for various components including structural capacity. Then if all the component tests are met, payload is capped at the sum of a driver and fuel plus the amount of weight directly centered on the rear axle to bring it to RAWR. You can use this method to estimate true load capacity when the manufacturer caps GVWR at 10,000 to help commercial short distance haulers with DOT requirements. For non commercial RV use 13 states have laws that in letter, require recreational folks to keep the hitched combination below the sum of the vehicle GVWR + trailer GVWR. They don't concern themselves with how it is distributed. Thus, to follow the letter of the law, keep your GCW less than TV GVWR+ TT GVWR. In practice even these states are only concerned with RV's used by commercial enterprises like the entertainment industry etc.

13% as a target for tongue weight is a good choice for this combination. A competent WD and sway control hitch plus a bit of extra pressure in the rear tires will put you in a safe combination. Run the rears near 80psi, keep the fronts at recommended pressure, 60 psi I think. This will help the rear to better control trailer yaw in corners and maintain stability.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:00 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard👍

POI not mentioned...the stated factory TW is rarely if ever the actual loaded for camping weight.
Our's increased 340lb and ended up at 1200lb.
I've found it better to load the AS with weight focused over the axles with heavier items forward. Think arrowhead, with feathers at the other end.
You want to be aware it's always there...under your control, not even there should not be the goal.
Keep the trailer level with WD set, stay under axle and tire ratings, drive carefully and don't worry it ain't rokit sience.😂
Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-31-2020, 06:03 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
I tow a 2021 Classic 33 with the RAM 2500 Diesel, I’m good weight wise and it drives like nothing is behind me.

Welcome to the family.
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You do not know what the tongue weight of that trailer will be until it is sitting in your driveway loaded. You have purchased an adequate TV. The listed payload does not include the driver and fuel (so we just got you another 150 lbs there) and is totally adequate for your trailer. (Unless you are carrying a motorcycle). Probably the worst single move you could make on that trailer towing wise is to try to reduce the tongue weight. Buy a good hitch. Put the heavy items in the front of the bed of the truck and tow on. I tow with a Dodge diesel and a 25'. I expect you are going to love the rig.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote