RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I believe the Demco Hitch replaced the Atwood starting with the 2020 model year (so, late Summer 2019).
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Correct, any hitch with an adjustable latch fork fit so the ball is held tight and can't shift back and forth in the coupler will due. I have added shims to the Atwood 88xxx on my 2018 and with a shim in back of the latch fork it works great also, but i suspect most won't want to mess with it. I compared it head to head with my blue Ox and a friend's Equalizer and find it's technical performance is superior. So much easier on the trailer and sway performance is as good or better.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Correct, any hitch with an adjustable latch fork fit so the ball is held tight and can't shift back and forth in the coupler will due. I have added shims to the Atwood 88xxx on my 2018 and with a shim in back of the latch fork it works great also, but i suspect most won't want to mess with it. I compared it head to head with my blue Ox and a friend's Equalizer and find it's technical performance is superior. So much easier on the trailer and sway performance is as good or better.
Brian,

Do you have a picture or two on where you added the shims? I'd like to take a look at my Atwood to see if I want to attempt the same change so I could consider an Andersen hitch.

Cheers,
Dion
qwertyd10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I'll take a couple pictures tomorrow and post them using my phone I suppose. I guess I need to come into the 21st century. My computer and browser is so old it won't post pictures on this site. I work with computer systems at work all day so I try to avoid them off work. My wife got me a new one 4 months ago, I suppose I'll have to set it up.

In the mean time you start by latching up the ball keeping the ball with forward pressure away from the latch fork . Then use a screwdriver or something to check play on the fork when latched. Use some sheet metal strips or cut up a beer or soda can and insert shims behind the fork until you can't get anymore to fit and the fork no longer has play. then take them out, mic one of them and multiply to determine the best shim thickness. I need 25 thousandths and found a paint can was perfect. So I cut the up into a long strip, stuffed it behind the fork and bent it around so it would stay in place. Simple, but still a bunch of hassle. Ill try to post some pictures tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:10 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
I'll take a couple pictures tomorrow and post them using my phone I suppose. I guess I need to come into the 21st century. My computer and browser is so old it won't post pictures on this site. I work with computer systems at work all day so I try to avoid them off work. My wife got me a new one 4 months ago, I suppose I'll have to set it up.

In the mean time you start by latching up the ball keeping the ball with forward pressure away from the latch fork . Then use a screwdriver or something to check play on the fork when latched. Use some sheet metal strips or cut up a beer or soda can and insert shims behind the fork until you can't get anymore to fit and the fork no longer has play. then take them out, mic one of them and multiply to determine the best shim thickness. I need 25 thousandths and found a paint can was perfect. So I cut the up into a long strip, stuffed it behind the fork and bent it around so it would stay in place. Simple, but still a bunch of hassle. Ill try to post some pictures tomorrow.
And I thought you had plenty of server power to run the “Model” simulation software you use to spit out all those specific numbers you use.
Caution! Most advice given here is nothing more than a subjective opinion. Please reference the vehicles owner manual for instruction on towing and hitch use which is based on physics, facts, and research.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Indeed the Company's Matlab server is a beast. The specs on it are impressive. The laptop they provide is also fairly nice.