Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2021, 07:43 AM   #21
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
The dealer we bought our 25’ GT installed a Reese receiver hitch on the rear frame. 10,000 rough towing miles later, with two bikes on the back. No issues. I jump on it to test it. 230 lbs, it’s as solid now as it was on day one. I think the older AS trailers had weaker frames, but I’m not sure.
FYI, my door still closes fine. No leaks etc..
Many others have done this also. Mine is bolted on, others have welded them on.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
load and weight distribution of course is an issue that has been mentioned, and frame concerns also. On the frame, the Airstream frames are light so they match the characteristics of the shell. The additional torque of up to 450 lb hanging 12-18 inches beyond the rear bumper may well create characteristics in the rear unfavorable for the frame, floor or shell. I suppose that's one of what GMFL is trying to get out of the manufacturer. The too light frames from the past (attempts to better match the frame to the shell), resulted in the famous Airstream sag and that comes to mind.

Edit: Several months ago, I did some rough calculations when we were trying to decide where to put the bikes. I figured a total weight of 150-175 lbs would not be a problem, hitch and receiver included.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:28 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I installed the Airstream approved permanently mounted Fiamma bike rack for my trailer and don't like it much. Already one of the support arms broke, a big issue with this rack noted over and over on these forums.

I'd love a receiver hitch like every other SOB trailer. So often the bike trail we want to ride doesn't begin at the campground, but several miles away. It makes so much more sense to be able move a hitch mounted rack between the trailer and truck for a day trip.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Careful with weight distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
WOW! 450 pounds! That’s awesome. I can put my two bikes, Honda eu2000 and still have room for a decent size Yeti.
And it remains discreet?
It's not a matter of whether you can load the back of your Airstream, it's whether you should:

DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I attached a rear bicycle rack to the rear of my 16’ Bambi. Could notice more sway potential but didn’t feel life threatening. With the weight of the hitch, bike rack and two bikes about 150 pounds hanging behind the rear axle. Now have a 20’ Bambi, going to install same setup. The FB 20’ has the fresh water tank in the rear, about 150 lbs full. When hauling bikes I will adjust fresh water as compensation.
pstetsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Frame is actually the body...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
Thumbs up Rear reciever hitch

When I got my 2019 Flying Cloud I had the reciever hitch installed. I use it for a bike rack or the Segway rack and it works well. I have had no towing issues and if I change to a newer AS I would have another one installed.
soling917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
East Hills , New York
Take a look at KYD. I remember an episode where they welded at receiver on their trailer.
milesinmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstetsonc View Post
I attached a rear bicycle rack to the rear of my 16’ Bambi. Could notice more sway potential but didn’t feel life threatening. With the weight of the hitch, bike rack and two bikes about 150 pounds hanging behind the rear axle. Now have a 20’ Bambi, going to install same setup. The FB 20’ has the fresh water tank in the rear, about 150 lbs full. When hauling bikes I will adjust fresh water as compensation.
Well, you really don't want to feel any sway; ever! Especially if it becomes "life threatening" , right? A single axil trailer is also not as stable as a dual axil, for sure. Whole point of caution is the center of gravity moves when you start adding any weight beyond the rear end; this is especially true of the AS...watch the video earlier in this thread to understand how moving weight around affects towing. To each his own...if you have never encountered sway, your lucky. It can really get your attention, or perhaps scare the heck out of you!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:15 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
I spoke to a support staff member a number of years ago and the simple answer was not to do it. There is a reason they endorse the Fiamma rack and how it's attached.

Honestly, many Airstreams bottom out and a good number of owners have done a 3" lift kit that helps the ground clearance issues. If you place 3-4" of hitch at the bumper, you are going to subject the rear of the coach to excessive force when it drags, far more that the supports that are in the area. **Maybe** if you got the lift kit and were able to get a hitch fabricated to mount north of the bumper on the frame, on the other side of where the body meets the frame, might be able to do it with little issue, but as has been pointed out, the frames are specifically designed for the application. Modifying it will most likely void any warranty claims made in areas in the back of the coach. 150lbs in cantilever type situation may exceed 150lbs of stress to the areas in question.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:42 AM   #31
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Here’s a picture of our Reese receiver hitch installed. I use a Kuat Bike carrier. It’s a pretty strong design. One bike is an ebike. FYI, our AS is the 25FB model. It’s tongue heavy vs other models. I am not concerned about shifting weight off of the tongue with this model. My previous AS was the 23FB. It’s just the opposite. Meaning, it was tongue light. The 25 has twice the tongue weight in a trailer that’s just 2 feet longer.
Hope this helps.
Edit, the receiver hitch hung down lower than the skid plates originally in that location. So, I added the 3” lift. No issues. With sway, stability, etc..
The hitch was installed by AS of Chicago before we bought this one used. Not sure how it will effect warranty.
I don’t like bikes on the front of the truck. I don’t think I can lift the ebike up above the propane tanks. We often have the kayak over the truck bed. This is working well at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E30CA70-08E5-4A4A-A898-EF61597173B0.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	501.3 KB
ID:	388008  
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
It's not a matter of whether you can load the back of your Airstream, it's whether you should:

Can we ban that video?
It's scientific evidence that a NEGATIVE tongue weight is bad.
I see it used to "prove" that a bicycle on the rear is a horrible idea.
KYD was aware of the opinions of adding a hitch to the back frame. How do I know, because I told him in an e-mail and he responded. But in conjunction with Cliff's Welding, who have done this before, he mounted the hitch and purchased a bike carrier that was up to the task of the vertical movement, and also hinged back to access the rear storage.
They've done a loop from AZ to ME and back with no ill effects. Maybe it can be done after all?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:14 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
If you roll the rig, 5 bikes might not be needed on future runs.
Old ex multi million mile accident free Semi driver.Ive never seen any "potential " combination vehicle carnage like that.
I probably don't know what I'm talking about....

Hence the “manage risk, not avoid it” comment. You managed risk across your trucking career, and sometimes did things that had more risk than other times. Understanding it, and managing it well is what matters. Being dangerously irresponsible (fairly subjective definition) is not something I do or condone.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Truckee , California
Maybe I am thinking about this incorrectly, but from all the TV discussions and posts about AS stated tongue weights being actually quite a bit low compared to actual loaded trailer TW's, wouldn't adding some weight to the back bring the TW back in line?
SGandMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:42 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Airstream Rear Hitch

I had a rear trailer hitch installed by the dealer on my 2015 25' International when I bought it new. The dealer had been doing it for years with no adverse issues. I use a 2 bike rack with 2 mountain bikes (total weight about 100 lbs.) and have no extra sway or any other handling issues. When I attended an Alumapoloza event several years ago I asked one of the engineers why they say don't add a hitch and he said it is a legal issue. The lawyers are afraid someone will load up their Harley and then there would be real problems. On my previous International 22 I had the Fiamma rack installed and it may be great for road bikes but mountain bike are too wide. I couldn't fit both on and not have them hit each other no matter how I tried.
hobiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstetsonc View Post
How do measure potential sway and how do you determine if it’s threatening? If you notice sway it’s probably not a good thing.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Fullerton , California
During my walk through last month for our Caravel 16RB, the tech discouraged installing the Fiama bike rack (only 70 lb limit), and said their shop can and does install custom hitch receivers with a 200 lb limit. I don’t need it, but he mentioned it.
NeahBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:04 PM   #38
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I've got one on my Classic 33. After the long list of Flama broken bits and pieces, damage to the trailer skin, not a chance that I would use one. Lots have changed about Airstream construction, new composite floor. IMHO risk is low for any damage and probably none in the lifetime I own the trailer. Don't put your motorcycle on it or tow a 747.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:05 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
I think the practical answer is surfacing:
- Yes, you can install a rear hitch receiver and use that for bike racks and other platform attachments.
- Make sure it is very well attached to the frame
- It will increase potential for sway compared to it not being there at all.
- stay under 200 pounds of total weight (receiver, attachment, gear), and make sure your tongue weight is still in the appropriate +/- 12% range
- Use some kind of anti-sway device to help mitigate risk
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:18 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
How do measure potential sway and how do you determine if it’s threatening? If you notice sway it’s probably not a good thing.
Exactly
B. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote