Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2021, 10:33 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Four seasons, three trucks, still managing debt

Not proud of the way it worked out - but here is the story:
A year before retirement, traded the commuter sedan for an F150 Ecoboost 4X4 Crew with all the bling mama wanted. Man assured us towing was in the bag. Mama found a lightly used AS bigger and heavier than we had originally thought, and the advertised tongue weight was short by 300# (1200 actual TW). Had saved and was able to pay cash for both.

First season I found myself anxious before every trip due to weight (payload of 1480) and sway performance. Paid the $$$ to ship a propride to AK. Solved sway but still anxious about weight and general feeling of being on the edge of control on some of our bigger mountain passes. I used to drive 18 wheelers on the haul road and know all the tricks; was just uncomfortable.

Sold the airplane and had some cash, so found a one-year-old F350 SRW SB 4X4 Platinum Crew and had it shipped to AK - none available here over that winter and spring. Mama was now addicted to the bling. Intent was to sell the F150, but mama hated the ride and the beasty look and feel of the F350, except when towing - she could collect all the rocks she wanted and have room to spare.

Three seasons of real AK camping and boondocking behind us, we recently traded both trucks for a leftover 2020 F250 with plenty of payload for the way we camp, including the topper, generator and bed slide - and rocks - just in time for mama to actually retire and travel more. It bugged me no end to have the F350 sitting most of the winter and it became a real job to periodically warm it up and drive some distance to keep it limber - not to mention insurance and oil changes (by calendar or miles) for both.

The lighter spring pack has a better ride and I keep it in the garage where the F150 used to live. Not sad about the new 10 speed - i get the same mileage as the F150 on both short and long trips, so far, and expect better as things wear in.

Don't try this at home, your mileage may vary, enjoy the adventure and hopefully this story helps you avoid some of the transaction losses I experienced by being in a hurry to get everything just right - NOW.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Good advice my friend. And yes my order is with Can Am. I can send you the 3 page discussion document they sent to me which i had to read several times to get the main points. Nonetheless, an interesting read. Let me know if you want their 3 pager.
Danishgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danishgod View Post
Good advice my friend. And yes my order is with Can Am. I can send you the 3 page discussion document they sent to me which i had to read several times to get the main points. Nonetheless, an interesting read. Let me know if you want their 3 pager.
I don't consider myself an expert but FWIW, we have 84,000 km. on our 28 ft. trailer pulling with a Ram 1500 SLT with the tow package. This includes 3 years of full timing around North America with several trips through the western mountains in B.C. and California. This combination has been fine although if starting out again I might look at an F-150 with greater payload capacity.

The rig was set up by Andy at Can-Am using an EAZ Lift weight distribution hitch with anti sway bars. We've had no problem with sway even in a very strong cross winds or being passed by large trucks. Our truck tires are Michelin LT 265/70R17 Load Range E. When towing I add about 5 lbs. extra pressure and travel about 60 MPH (I'm in no hurry).
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Towing 28 - Airstream Flying Cloud

We have a 28 foot Flying Cloud Rear Bedroom. We have towed it with a Ford F-250 diesel and our current Ram 2500 diesel with the Cummins engine.

One feature on both trucks, which is great when towing in the mountains is the Diesel Exhaust Brake System. It kicks in extensively in the mountains of N.C. and when we went out to Yellowstone a few years back.

In my opinion this is a big plus of the larger diesel trucks.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:49 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
We have a 28 foot Flying Cloud Rear Bedroom. We have towed it with a Ford F-250 diesel and our current Ram 2500 diesel with the Cummins engine.

One feature on both trucks, which is great when towing in the mountains is the Diesel Exhaust Brake System. It kicks in extensively in the mountains of N.C. and when we went out to Yellowstone a few years back.

In my opinion this is a big plus of the larger diesel trucks.

But if the diesel is beyond your means, a gas engine will do well if you downshift. 4000 to 4500 rpm to hold speed on a downgrade is no problem. I might use brakes intermittently if the grade is steeper than about 7% or a turn is coming up.

The key is to plan ahead. There’s nothing wrong with taking it slow in the mountains.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:47 PM   #26

2012 27' FB Classic
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Congrats on your 28ft FC.

I found this website the most helpful when considering a tow vehicle for my 27ft Classic.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...ight-tt.shtml?

After a few seasons with a 1/2 ton, I moved to a 3/4 ton GMC Duramax Diesel this year to feel more comfortable with payloads and with mountain passes, especially downhill and engine braking.
chrisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #27
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Give your current TV a chance to prove itself

Everyone that asks this question each week receives a wide range of advice and yours is no exception. Many other sources of advice are available on YouTube, “Keep Your Daydream”, “TFL Trucks” with their towing tests going up I-70 E from Dillon, CO to the summit at Eisenhower tunnel (Golden Hitch Test) and “Big Truck, Big RV”. PLUS you should visit some RV parks and see what other folks are towing their rigs with.

You own what many truck journalists describe as the class leader for interior design and probably ride comfort. Give your truck a chance to convince you it is the right vehicle before jumping in to the costly process of trade and purchase.

Get a good WD/anti-sway hitch and it will be transferable to a different TV if needed. As others have mentioned, you should consider E rated tires and tow mirrors.

CAT scales will help you determine how close you are to any of your truck’s weight limits. You can evaluate your GCVWR, GRAWR, and payload. As many others have said, it is difficult to always be evaluating what you can put in the bed of your truck.

Do you need diesel? We purchased an F250 with a gas engine and traveled over Monarch and Lizard Head Passes in June of this year with the 26’ AS. We were passed by super duty diesels on the way up and 2 minutes or less later, we saw them at the summit gift shop. On the decent we put the transmission in a gear that kept the RPM’s around 4,000 with just a few brake applications and had no difficulty with overheated brakes or white knuckle driving/towing. Since the mountains represent about 1% of our towing, it just did not make sense to pay over $10K with added maintenance cost. By the Way - our 4x2 F250 has a payload exceeding 3,500 lbs.

Folks that are towing 27’ or longer AS’s with 1/2 tons rarely share their payload on the door compared to actual weights. Toppers are about 200lbs, driver & passenger about 350, Tongue weight about 1,000lbs for a total of 1,550 lbs for payload. This includes and empty bed and backseat for crew cabs. We all know you can make adjustments to the rear suspension to keep the 1/2T TV more level, but with that you are still probably exceeding payload and/or GRAWR. Please find a responder towing with a 1/2T that is around 2,000 lbs and that will provide a safer option. There is a recent thread where someone claimed to increase their payload by adding rear suspension support. For consideration - a friend of mine purchased a 2018 F250 King Ranch 4x4, diesel with a topper. He tows a vintage 30’ AS. Guess what his payload is? 1,950lbs.

Enjoy sifting through all the advice on YouTube, this Forum and RV parks to set your expectations and then your personal seat of the pants experience with your current TV. Perhaps you will drive down to AS International rally next summer near Gatlinburg, TN?
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
I don't consider myself an expert but FWIW, we have 84,000 km. on our 28 ft. trailer pulling with a Ram 1500 SLT with the tow package. This includes 3 years of full timing around North America with several trips through the western mountains in B.C. and California. This combination has been fine although if starting out again I might look at an F-150 with greater payload capacity.

The rig was set up by Andy at Can-Am using an EAZ Lift weight distribution hitch with anti sway bars. We've had no problem with sway even in a very strong cross winds or being passed by large trucks. Our truck tires are Michelin LT 265/70R17 Load Range E. When towing I add about 5 lbs. extra pressure and travel about 60 MPH (I'm in no hurry).
Well Cyclist, I have ordered through Can Am also. We will have to chat more and you can show me the ropes maybe some day. Will be down there in August in or about.
Danishgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:22 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
If your acceleration and more importantly, your deceleration are good enough for you, then you are golden. I have never had a problem living on the safety margin built into the gvwr numbers. If you have thoughtfully balanced your load and used a state of the art trailer hitch combined with Airstreams benign shape you will have no problems.

I'm never sure what people are doing that need 250's or 350s to tow Airstreams. If towing an sob with boxy sides with 2x2 construction then you will need a longer wheelbase tow vehicle and possibly the power larger pickups.

Go enjoy your truck you will love it when you are not pulling a trailer.

Mike
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
Congratulations on your new AS. Yes you can tow with your 1/2 ton but your at or near capacity. That means more wear and tear and increased maintenance costs. You may want to consider a 3/4 ton. After all, what price do you want to put on safety? And no you don't need a diesel. For towing 12k or less a gasser is a great alternative. Diesel is great for towing heavy. But you lose capacity in the truck due to the weight of the diesel engine. Also they are about 10k more and maintenance cost is higher. Then there is that damn diesel emissions fluid!!!
JohnandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:41 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
This certainly is a well discussed subject but it is important.
My response is always the same. For an AS 25 feet and up, a 2500 diesel pickup truck is clearly the best tow vehicle. Almost everyone that says you can tow safely with a 1500 go on to mention the limitations, payload being the big one. And then braking in the mountains, not driving over 60 to 65, worrying about correct axle ratios, trying to get setup exactly right for a marginal combination.
Yes a 1500 will work especially for short trips, not in the steep mountains, carefully making sure you don't put too much stuff in and the list goes on.
All you have to do is read these numerous posts and there will be no doubt what the best tow vehicle is for the larger Airstreams.
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:17 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Danishgod-
Congrats on joining us here on AF and getting you new AS. Besides payload, hitch / tongue weight factors, and trailer weight / TV capacities, also be sure to check on frontal exposed area when considering towing. BayouBiker can fill you in.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandDonna View Post
Congratulations on your new AS. Yes you can tow with your 1/2 ton but your at or near capacity. That means more wear and tear and increased maintenance costs. You may want to consider a 3/4 ton. After all, what price do you want to put on safety? And no you don't need a diesel. For towing 12k or less a gasser is a great alternative. Diesel is great for towing heavy. But you lose capacity in the truck due to the weight of the diesel engine. Also they are about 10k more and maintenance cost is higher. Then there is that damn diesel emissions fluid!!!

Well, we agree the diesel is great for heavy towing...and a larger AS is heavy towing. Capacity? If your concerned about capacity on a 3/4T, get a 1T..not much difference in price. I have found 2200lbs for our needs to be more than sufficient with 95lb generator, camp gear, tools, 2 bbq grills, fire pit, extra propane bottle, and 2 kayaks loaded, still under 2klbs.

The DEF is not a big deal; ask any of us who have made the move to diesel. Fuel prices vary state to state- TX it has been same as gas in many locations this past year. Maintenance cost is higher for oil and fuel filter changes, but overall, the diesel will last a long, long time with proper maintenance compared to most gas engines with same mileage, statistically. Guess it's all about your use model and what makes you feel safe and confident while towing.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:33 PM   #34

1970 27' Overlander
Omaha , Nebraska
I replaced my 2008 F-250 with a 2020 Ram 1500 Crewcab 4x4 with the 5.7 and 3.92 gears. The Ram pulls my 1970 27ft Overlander better than the Ford. I did buy a new Curt 17500 hitch. I balanced the hitch level and have not pulled a trailer with less effort. The 5.7 has plenty of power. I load pretty heavy most trips as well. Happy Trails!
overlander19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:38 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Myers , Florida
Congrats on new Airstream,
You will have no problem with your Ram 1500. Get a Good WD hitch set up properly and you will be good to go
stevenson748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:10 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Virginia
1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton

We have a 2020 FC 30 and a 2020 F-150 equipped for max towing. We’ve towed over 5000 miles so far, over all kinds of terrain (including WV, NC, and SC mountains) and wind conditions. The truck does great.
Two suggestions:
Get your rig weighed at the CAT scales when embarking on a trip. This is real easy with their iPhone app. (There’s a YouTube video about this.)
We use the ProPride hitch. It eliminates sway and provides a great sense of security.
Good luck and best wishes! You’re in for a ton of fun!
David in Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:24 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Lex View Post
We have a 2020 FC 30 and a 2020 F-150 equipped for max towing. We’ve towed over 5000 miles so far, over all kinds of terrain (including WV, NC, and SC mountains) and wind conditions. The truck does great.
Two suggestions:
Get your rig weighed at the CAT scales when embarking on a trip. This is real easy with their iPhone app. (There’s a YouTube video about this.)
We use the ProPride hitch. It eliminates sway and provides a great sense of security.
Good luck and best wishes! You’re in for a ton of fun!
Glad your happy. Did you special order your F150 or did you find one with heavy duty towing package and descent size payload? Can you share your "payload" info off your drivers side door jamb sticker? Many 1/2T's (including my old F150) do not have sufficient payload for that size AS.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Yeah an F-150 even in max tow configuration will likely be over Ford Towing limits for tongue weight (Ford has 920 - 1200 for max tow except one very special configuration and that is still only 1300) and Frontal Area of 60 sq. ft. which applies at max limits. The Airstream 30 will have a tongue weight of 1100-1500 loaded for camping and has a frontal area over 70 sq. ft. It will tow just fine under normal circumstances but the trailer will overpower the vehicle if the driver happens to let the combination get too far out of alignment. People who put these combinations together must be okay accepting more risk than Ford and the SAE thinks is wise.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #39
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Yeah an F-150 even in max tow configuration will likely be over Ford Towing limits for tongue weight (Ford has 920 - 1200 for max tow except one very special configuration and that is still only 1300) and Frontal Area of 60 sq. ft. which applies at max limits. The Airstream 30 will have a tongue weight of 1100-1500 loaded for camping and has a frontal area over 70 sq. ft. It will tow just fine under normal circumstances but the trailer will overpower the vehicle if the driver happens to let the combination get too far out of alignment. People who put these combinations together must be okay accepting more risk than Ford and the SAE thinks is wise.
You are making it sound like the frontal area is in fact a limit. You know it isn't.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:07 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Ford calls it "the maximum trailer frontal area" and a "Frontal area limitation/consideration". Ford thinks it's important or they wouldn't mention it in their guidance. I'm also not sure what a limitation is if not a limit... It comes into play when the the other parameters are also at or near max limits.

Again the Ford F-150 towing modern 30' and above trailer will generally exceed Ford's guidance for tongue weight and frontal area when loaded for camping.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags