Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2018, 11:20 PM   #61
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The driver's door sticker states the two axle ratings. Adding airbags, stiffer springs or higher load range tires does not change the axle rating. So the extra springs or airbags are adding weight to the truck and reducing the net payload for the trailer and stuff in the truck.
Thank you. One free can of Spinach to you sir.

It scares me to read what some people 'think' they can do to their scooters and think they'll end up with a Harley.

IMHO.

Popeye

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:24 AM   #62
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yep, pretty sure the only way one can increase an axle rating is to actually replace the existing axle with a stronger one. Everything else is jewelry.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:33 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Yep, pretty sure the only way one can increase an axle rating is to actually replace the existing axle with a stronger one. Everything else is jewelry.

And while you would have a heavier duty axle, afaik the only way you can then use it is to convince the appropriate office at DOT to re-rate your vehicle and issue a new door sticker or sticker amendment.
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:53 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Factory is welded. Bolt on is dealer addition. My rig deformed the bolts. REESE #45299 a far better piece than factory.

+1. I replaced the factory receiver on my ‘12 Ram 3500 SRW with the same Reese 45299 based on what I read online (which included photos of broken hitches).

I plan on keeping this rig (since I retired last year) so I’ve done what I can to improve it’s shortcomings (which are actually very few) and have the fluids changed regularly.

To me, safety equipment is non-negotiable (and this includes the hitch receiver).
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:17 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Does the 6.2 liter GM engine require premium fuel? Also, curious about your real world MPG when not towing?

Just curious!

Thanks!

6.2 engine is “premium recommended.” I usually use premium while towing but occasionally used midgrade or even regular when that was all that was available (we went very far off the beaten path). No ill effects that I could see. Best 400 mile average fuel economy not towing is 24.6 mpg, running midgrade (which I almost always use when not towing).
Also, still on original brake pads at 67k miles. Original tires due for replacement now. And, yes, we did drive thru Montana, staying at Glacier National Park.
We used a ProPride weight distributing hitch.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbandeddie View Post
And while you would have a heavier duty axle, afaik the only way you can then use it is to convince the appropriate office at DOT to re-rate your vehicle and issue a new door sticker or sticker amendment.
Only required for commercial vehicles.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Yep, jewelry ?...: driveline, transmission, oil cooler, brakes....it never ends
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:10 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Yep, jewelry ?...: driveline, transmission, oil cooler, brakes....it never ends

Good one, though none of those will increase axle ratings. 🤣

Old 04-29-2018, 12:07 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Why not go with a 2500...then everything is heavy enough?
Old 04-30-2018, 07:53 AM   #70
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Why not go with a 2500...then everything is heavy enough?
Because it’s a worse vehicle on every count. Suspension and steering after weight increase per near-identical tire contact patch, primarily.

If the Steer is fully independent, and features rack & pinion and the truck is no taller in height then its the longer wheelbase that’s the real detriment.

Assuming a pickup was ever needed in the first place. (It wasn’t).

IOW, only the GM as a comp. Where heading the wrong direction in TV choice is de rigueur.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:54 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Because it’s a worse vehicle on every count. Suspension and steering after weight increase per near-identical tire contact patch, primarily.

If the Steer is fully independent, and features rack & pinion and the truck is no taller in height then its the longer wheelbase that’s the real detriment.

Assuming a pickup was ever needed in the first place. (It wasn’t).

IOW, only the GM as a comp. Where heading the wrong direction in TV choice is de rigueur.
Would love to know more about the tow vehicle you use with your Airstream, and how you chose it.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Not sure it’s productive to get snarky about folks’ choice of TV when it’s between 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickup to pull a 7600 lb. GVWR 27 foot Airstream. We’re not talking about a 35 foot fifth wheel here. In my own case, when we decided to take the plunge and go Airstreaming, we test drove 3/4 tons — gas and diesel— from Ram and GM as well as 1/2 tons from Ford and GM. Even, empty the 3/4 tons felt large and ponderous compared to the half tons—and they are. If memory serves, the typical diesel 3/4 ton weighs between 1000 and 1500 lbs more than the typical 1/2 ton, empty. And, if you go for the short box 1/2 ton like we have, there’s a noticeable difference in overall length and turning radius. Finally, all of the 3/4 tons we drove “rode like a truck” in comparison to the 1/2 tons, including mine, which has the max tow package (different rear axle and springs) that adds 400 lbs. to the payload. If memory serves, the Ram 2500 diesel has only 250 lbs. greater payload than my truck (both “loaded” crew cabs) and the difference between the Ram and some of the aluminum F150s may be even less or not at all. So, I get where the OP is coming from in his preference for a 1/2 ton even though I think the little 3 liter diesel is a bad idea on many levels. The one significant drawback to my truck vs. a 3/4 ton diesel is range. My tank is only 26 gallons; the 3/4 tons will have 30 or more, stock. Given that our fuel burn towing is about the same, that means the 3/4 ton has about 40-50 miles more range. There were a few times in remote parts of Nevada where we got uncomfortably close to the last drop, even though we fueled up at the last outpost of civilization. We could have carried a Jerry can in the bed for a reserve, and we did have a 3 gallon can for the generator. There were only 2 of us and a 100 lb. dog. If we were a family of 4 pulling a 30-foot bunkhouse with more stuff in the bed, the bigger truck would have been required. But just for 2 plus a big dog, our truck was absolutely fine, and we went anywhere, including a road to access the California “lost Coast” that was signed “RVs and trailers not recommended” (a ranger said we could do it).
Old 05-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Yep, after reading some of these posts...I am sure happy with my Ram, the turning radius is short , way shorter than my last ford...it handles our 31’ Classic easy....with 14 mpg...has a good ride..coils on the rear..and it is heavier than the trailer..will have went 6000 miles this trip out west..when we get home at the end of the week....you can have all the 1/2 tons you want...I been there and done that...
Old 05-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
Not sure it’s productive to get snarky about folks’ choice of TV when it’s between 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickup to pull a 7600 lb. GVWR 27 foot Airstream. We’re not talking about a 35 foot fifth wheel here. In my own case, when we decided to take the plunge and go Airstreaming, we test drove 3/4 tons — gas and diesel— from Ram and GM as well as 1/2 tons from Ford and GM. Even, empty the 3/4 tons felt large and ponderous compared to the half tons—and they are. If memory serves, the typical diesel 3/4 ton weighs between 1000 and 1500 lbs more than the typical 1/2 ton, empty. And, if you go for the short box 1/2 ton like we have, there’s a noticeable difference in overall length and turning radius. Finally, all of the 3/4 tons we drove “rode like a truck” in comparison to the 1/2 tons, including mine, which has the max tow package (different rear axle and springs) that adds 400 lbs. to the payload. If memory serves, the Ram 2500 diesel has only 250 lbs. greater payload than my truck (both “loaded” crew cabs) and the difference between the Ram and some of the aluminum F150s may be even less or not at all. So, I get where the OP is coming from in his preference for a 1/2 ton even though I think the little 3 liter diesel is a bad idea on many levels. The one significant drawback to my truck vs. a 3/4 ton diesel is range. My tank is only 26 gallons; the 3/4 tons will have 30 or more, stock. Given that our fuel burn towing is about the same, that means the 3/4 ton has about 40-50 miles more range. There were a few times in remote parts of Nevada where we got uncomfortably close to the last drop, even though we fueled up at the last outpost of civilization. We could have carried a Jerry can in the bed for a reserve, and we did have a 3 gallon can for the generator. There were only 2 of us and a 100 lb. dog. If we were a family of 4 pulling a 30-foot bunkhouse with more stuff in the bed, the bigger truck would have been required. But just for 2 plus a big dog, our truck was absolutely fine, and we went anywhere, including a road to access the California “lost Coast” that was signed “RVs and trailers not recommended” (a ranger said we could do it).
Snarky happens on the Forum sometimes...some of these folks get pretty overboard with their resentment of newer technology as being "better", or someone who happens to disagree with "their way" of doing things...God forbid someone could actually think different and be correct in their thinking!

Anyway, I also loved my 1/2 Ford EB Platinum 4x4 for my 25' AS's, but payload sucked. It was only 1039lbs. I did not understand "payload" when I purchased it in 2012, but sure learned a lot from reading the Forums. I was wondering when you looked at your 1/2T's, and 3/4T's? I know I felt same way until I drove the 2017 models...night and day difference in the new 3/4T's ride and handling for the Ford F250. Payload also was the key for my choice. Miss out on the easier maneuvering of the 1/2T when not towing for sure; but I bought it to tow my 28'; and it sure does that well. Bigger payload allows us to bring along more stuff...kayaks, generator, camping gear, etc...most all of the 4x4 1/2T's I looked at last year were around 1200-1500lbs payload unless you order one with minimum upgrades...then you could get up close to 2000K with the Fords...I know Toyota and Dodge were not even close in the payload category in 1/2T's.

Your point about fuel tanks and mileage is also interesting. My F150 had 36 gal. tank; my F250 has 34 gal. I know some of the other brands only offered 24-26 gal tanks... I got 10-11mpg towing and 16-17mpg with my F150 EB; I get 13mpg towing and 17mpg when not towing with my F250. I have heavy foot when not towing... But fuel costs are higher by about 30cents/gal, and oil changes higher by about $100 per change. I am very happy with the results towing my AS, however...more control, power, and capacity which again, is why I purchased.

As a side note, I try to keep up on all the latest mfg. recommended limits for towing since learning how out of whack I was with my F150 limitations. I also try not to get too aggravated when some of the "know it all's" on this Forum start ranting or preaching about how "their experience" makes them the only experts on the road...in the end, I try to do what keeps the family and my neighbors on the road, safe while driving.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:18 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Snarky happens on the Forum sometimes...some of these folks get pretty overboard with their resentment of newer technology as being "better", or someone who happens to disagree with "their way" of doing things...God forbid someone could actually think different and be correct in their thinking!

Anyway, I also loved my 1/2 Ford EB Platinum 4x4 for my 25' AS's, but payload sucked. It was only 1039lbs. I did not understand "payload" when I purchased it in 2012, but sure learned a lot from reading the Forums. I was wondering when you looked at your 1/2T's, and 3/4T's? I know I felt same way until I drove the 2017 models...night and day difference in the new 3/4T's ride and handling for the Ford F250. Payload also was the key for my choice. Miss out on the easier maneuvering of the 1/2T when not towing for sure; but I bought it to tow my 28'; and it sure does that well. Bigger payload allows us to bring along more stuff...kayaks, generator, camping gear, etc...most all of the 4x4 1/2T's I looked at last year were around 1200-1500lbs payload unless you order one with minimum upgrades...then you could get up close to 2000K with the Fords...I know Toyota and Dodge were not even close in the payload category in 1/2T's.

Your point about fuel tanks and mileage is also interesting. My F150 had 36 gal. tank; my F250 has 34 gal. I know some of the other brands only offered 24-26 gal tanks... I got 10-11mpg towing and 16-17mpg with my F150 EB; I get 13mpg towing and 17mpg when not towing with my F250. I have heavy foot when not towing... But fuel costs are higher by about 30cents/gal, and oil changes higher by about $100 per change. I am very happy with the results towing my AS, however...more control, power, and capacity which again, is why I purchased.

As a side note, I try to keep up on all the latest mfg. recommended limits for towing since learning how out of whack I was with my F150 limitations. I also try not to get too aggravated when some of the "know it all's" on this Forum start ranting or preaching about how "their experience" makes them the only experts on the road...in the end, I try to do what keeps the family and my neighbors on the road, safe while driving.

Since my wife and I intended to go from no RV experience to full timing after I retired and we sold the house, my pre-purchase research on the TV was obsessive. We had bought the Airstream (did a bunch of research on that vs. motor homes, too) in fall of 2014 then made a visit to Colonial Airstream in NJ, since they have the biggest inventory on E. Coast. After physically inspecting all of them, we decided we wanted twin beds (the “queen” is an inch shorter than I am tall) which are extra-long. For reasons known only to Airstream, only the FC 27 had a propane oven and a microwave. We liked that because we didn’t want to be tied to availability of a/c power. The extra 3 feet of room in the 30 didn’t seem all that useful, so the 27 it was. Also, my research showed that a number of National Parks didn’t want trailers over 27 ft., and we wanted to camp in National Parks. With the significant production lag time and the fact that Colonial had an FC 27 on the lot with twins, we bought the trailer; on condition they would store it for us over the winter in NJ.
With the exact knowledge of what we were going to tow, we could be better TV shoppers. My initial inclination was for a 3/4 ton, for the payload. Our first test drive was a Chevy 2500 with the Duramax. Diesels are noisy when they’re cold, and even as a passenger, my wife rebelled at the whole thing. Having worked construction when I was young and having driven some 6-wheel dumps, I was not bothered. We drove a 1500, and the difference was big. We drove a 2500 has, but it seemed underpowered, even when empty. Our experience with the Ram 2500 with the 6.4 gas engine was better. If we had not been able to get a 1/2 ton that worked, that would have been our choice. At the time, F150 Lariat crew cabs with the 3.5 liter Ecoboost could be found with about 1700 lbs. rated payload. You had to have the max payload and the max towing packages. We test drove one of those and would have taken it, but I just couldn’t get comfortable in the seat.
We knew that the Chevy/GMC with the 6.2 and the max trailer tow package met our specs, but they were very rare and GM wasn’t taking orders (some supply issues with the rear axle). Eventually, using cars.com I did a search and found a truck in metro DENVER that was 6 months old. After researching what it would cost me to fly out there from DC, I negotiated a deal over the phone, flew out, got the truck and drove it back home in 2 days.
We carry a 2kw Honda generator, small gas grill, big toolbox, ground cover, out of season clothes (we had to be prepared for 4 seasons), boots, fuel for generator, big container of dry food for the dog, air compressor, and a portable satellite dish and tripod in the bed. We have a tonneau that covers the whole thing and keeps everything dry.
I never drove onto a scale, but given that, after 68,000 miles (maybe 30,000 plus towing) we’re on the original tires and brake pads, I feel pretty confident in saying that we were not overloading the truck. It makes a far better daily driver than any 3/4 ton would have been.

Tags