Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
Questions on Reese WDH

I picked up a used Reese weight distribution hitch recently with 600 lb bars. I had the hitch (pictured) on the left which is quite a bit heavier but never had any bars for it. It appears to be the same and the lighter bars fit. I'm just wondering if it is OK to use them on the heavier hitch assy. Now I have a little ball welded on the A frame for an anti sway control. I would like to install one but how can I attach the smaller ball to the hitch head? I see that most newer hitch heads have a place to attach one. These don't or is there a way to do it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC1301.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	170366   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC1302.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	170367  

Haoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The piece that holds the sway ball gets welded on the ball mount.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The Reese hitch square bars will fit both hitches. I think I have 500's 700's and 1000's for mine, all picked up over the years. The little ball for the friction sway control bar is generally welded on. The larger of the two hitches you show is one with an adjustable mount, and can be set up for different hitch ball heights and tilts of the head. The other is a welded setup and is pretty fixed in how it can be set up.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
Thanks for the info. The bars I got with the smaller assembly are square so I guess I will get a friction control and have my son weld the plate on it. That should take care of the situation. Plan a trip with the Argosy 20 from Minnesota to Florida in a month. I want to have all my ducks in a row when we leave. Anyone know a cheap RV park in the Ft Meyers area? I don't need ammenities and social stuff. Just a place to hook up and search for a home while there.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoleman View Post
Thanks for the info. The bars I got with the smaller assembly are square so I guess I will get a friction control and have my son weld the plate on it. That should take care of the situation. Plan a trip with the Argosy 20 from Minnesota to Florida in a month. I want to have all my ducks in a row when we leave. Anyone know a cheap RV park in the Ft Meyers area? I don't need ammenities and social stuff. Just a place to hook up and search for a home while there.
The Reese dual cam sway control, is far superior to a friction sway control, hands down, and no doubt it.

The friction has no brain, the dual cam does.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Anyone know a cheap RV park in the Ft Meyers area? I don't need ammenities and social stuff. Just a place to hook up and search for a home while there.
Sun-N-Shade
Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
Just want to share this site for those who might be needing hitches:
Largo, FL Trailer Hitch - 5th Wheel Hitch - Trailer Parts
john121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Inland Andy is right on this one

Quote:
... I'm just wondering if it is OK to use them on the heavier hitch assy. ...
Yes.

I have never used a friction sway control bar like the type that mounts between the two balls you mention. After reading about everyone else's problems with them, and knowing how well my Reese dual-cam sway control works, I have no plans to EVER try one.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you do go with the frictional dampener, remember to take it off when you are in tight corners backing into a site. You will bend it if you jack knife the trailer. I sometimes use a frictional in addition to the dual cam for the 34 ft trailer fully loaded. It does improve stability.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Ding Ding Ding!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
If you do go with the frictional dampener, remember to take it off when you are in tight corners backing into a site. You will bend it if you jack knife the trailer. ...
Give that man a CiiiiiGaarrrr!

That's the principle complaint I read about. Even Perry has bent one.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have the same trailer, and Argosy 20' (mine is a '74) and towed for years with no sway control at all with both my Reese square bar and my Draw Tight round bar hitches. The Argosy 20 is a tongue heavy very stable trailer to begin with.

I now use an Andersen, and it is also an excellent combination. The Andersen has sway control built into the hitch.

Just my experience with the Argosy 20, over the past 14 years and probably in the range of over 75,000 miles.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
Well, I picked up a sway control from Harbor Freight. Total cost with coupon was $30.00. I've used these before and they work fine for small trailers. I'll have my son weld the mount for me and I should be good to go. When driving the trailer home, I didn't notice any sway at all and had more than one truck pass me. I guess we'll see how it does on a long trip.