Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
ProPride lining up helper.

This is what I've come up with to more easily judge the angle of the receiver. This is a 2" square piece of wood about 20" long with four 3" wood screws located at the entrance to the hitch. Once the wood chingaso is totally inserted, the screws are easily adjusted by screwing in or out with a phillips until the space around the tube is equal all around. The duct tape (one layer) on the end provides a little bit of grip so at a downward angle there is less of a chance for the chingaso to fall out of the hitch.

Chingaso = Gizmo

Keep the dirty side down<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ron's hitching up helper (1).jpg
Views:	208
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	203505   Click image for larger version

Name:	ron's hitching up helper (2).jpg
Views:	248
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	203506  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ron's hitching up helper (4).jpg
Views:	235
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	203507   Click image for larger version

Name:	ron's hitching up helper (3).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	203508  

Old 01-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Use some contrasting tape or paint to outline the hitch opening so that there is contrast that's easily seen with a backup camera.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have tried various gadgets to facilitate day hookups with our Hensley hitch and a 2" wooden bar similar to yours is one that I have settled on and find it very helpful.

The only thing different I did on mine was to fasten four wooden wedges on it to make it an exact replica of the actual bar bar on the Hensley. They serve to centre up the bar in the hitch.

The other trick I use in conjunction with the wooden bar is a backup camera and a wide
bright yellow tape measure.

I lay the tape measure on the ground for maybe ten feet and ensure it is parallel to the longitudinal axis of the AS. one end of the tape is lined up at the end of the wooden hitch bar.

I then just back up the truck ensuring that the stinger tracks the tape measure right back to the hitch.

I stop a little short of contacting the wooden bar (so I have clearance to remove it!) then go back, adjust angles as needed, remove the wooden bar in generally it goes in perfectly.

If for any reason it won't go fully home into the hitch, I find I can use the toggles on the Hensley to pull it in the last 1/4" or so.

Life with the Hensley has gotten a lot better for me with this method!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I have been using a small torpedo level to match the vertical angle of the ProPride hitch box and truck receiver. Back up next to the Propride, check and mark the angle of the truck receiver, then slip the torpedo level part way into the ProPride hitch box, hold it there and adjust the angle to match by raising or lowering the weight distribution bars.

The horizontal angle is easier to judge just by looking at it when backing.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Thanks guys for the reply. What back up camera are you using?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I don't use a backup camera but get real close after many years of backing up to utility and boat trailers.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I use the Swift Hitch

https://www.swifthitch.com

It isn't bad, but I would stop short of giving it a glowing recommendation!

I find sometimes - depending upon direction of sun - it isn't the easiest to see well enough and the fact that the screen is so small doesn't help.

As well, even from the driver's seat to the back of the truck, I am finding that the image sometimes breaks up. Maybe the signal is passing through too many layers of metal going through the cab and tailgate of the truck. Perhaps I can extend the camera antenna higher up.

On the plus side, it has automatic infra red lights on the camera for night vision and that works well.

Also, the camera is quite small and could be used for other uses besides backing up - looking in confined areas etc (especially with the IR lighting being available.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I have been using a small torpedo level to match the vertical angle of the ProPride hitch box and truck receiver. Back up next to the Propride, check and mark the angle of the truck receiver, then slip the torpedo level part way into the ProPride hitch box, hold it there and adjust the angle to match by raising or lowering the weight distribution bars.

The horizontal angle is easier to judge just by looking at it when backing.

When I first made up the dummy bar for the hitch, I also made up a little adjustable locking level bubble gadget that I used with the dummy bar.

Once the truck was backed close, I would the level deviceon the stinger, adjust the level so the bubble was centered, then lock the bubble tube in place at whatever angle was needed to achieve a level setting.

Next I would transfer the gadget (angle still locked) to the dummy bar and adjust the hitch angle so that the bubble was once more centered.

The hitch and stinger would then have exactly the same angle.

It worked fine, but was sort of "overkill!" I guess that's what becomes of being an engineer (retired!) I eventually decided that I could eyeball the stinger and the dummy bar accurately enough to match the angles with no problem.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Brian,

I spoke with the owner of Swift hitch and he told me that they are switching from an analog signal to a digital signal and that should help with the interference that the unit now has.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by carver 1 View Post
Brian,

I spoke with the owner of Swift hitch and he told me that they are switching from an analog signal to a digital signal and that should help with the interference that the unit now has.
Ron,

That's interesting - I assume with digital, you would either get a great signal --- or no signal!

Did he say if the version that they are now selling is digital, or that they are going that way some time in future?

Going to give one a try?

To tell the truth, an old license plate frame camera mount and monitor that I deviously had from Costco and about $70 remed to have a more reliable signal than the Swift Hitch that I think cost me around $200 or so.

Water eventually got into the camera of the Costco one and ruined it. I assumed that the Swift Hitch unit would have at least as good a signal and be a better quality unit. It does appear well made, but the signal was worse.

Wonder if I qualify for a discount on a new digital one!! Not likely!!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-14-2014, 03:51 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Brian,

He indicated that it has been tested and would be available soon.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Not trying to be a total idiot, and please keep in mind that I am posting this as the coffee is readying, but what's the purpose of the wooden bar vs the real thing?

I have marked the top of my Hensley stinger with a dab of orange paint and put some yellow tape on the trailer end - then use the backup camera to line up, check and adjust the trailer jack and in it goes.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Not trying to be a total idiot, and please keep in mind that I am posting this as the coffee is readying, but what's the purpose of the wooden bar vs the real thing?

I have marked the top of my Hensley stinger with a dab of orange paint and put some yellow tape on the trailer end - then use the backup camera to line up, check and adjust the trailer jack and in it goes.

Hi Andy,

Well, it surely sounds as though you don't need it!

Some of us - me included! - can at times be somewhat challenged getting things hook up right on the first go.

What the dummy bar sticking out of the hensley/propride hitch allow you to do is to better visualize the angle of the trailer hitch (i.e. mounted on the trailer) and how well it matches the angle of the incoming stinger.

You can then much more easily make adjustments with the jack screws to ensure the angles match perfectly.

In fact, if you check your hensley manual, they actually suggest to remove the stinger from the tow vehicle, stick it into the the hitch to get a good idea of the angle setting in comparison to when the stinger is on the truck and then make adjustments you feel are needed for a match. Not the best way to do it, especially considering the weight of the stinger.

Much easier to just leave the stinger on the truck and use the light weight wooden dummy bar in the hitch so you can see the two bars as they approach each other and then adjust as needed..

Others have used this same idea for quite some time.

But if you have never encountered problems in hooking up, then don't waste your time (and you have my admiration!)

Before I started doing this, sometimes I could hook up of the first try, other times it was an embarrassment - degree of embarrassment in direct proportion to the number of people watching and trying to help with well meaning suggestions!!

Now I am pretty much guaranteed a hookup on the first try!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks for that. Now of course I am pretty much guaranteed to completely screw up my next hooking up attempts.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote