Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2022, 08:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Driving with the Equalizer hitch was a PI(t)A to me…
The benefits of a nice towing Airstream far outweigh the learning curve of the “PI(t)A” problems associated with a sub par hitch.
Sub par hitch? Subpar rig? Subpar hitch setup? Or subpar you name it...

The assumption that all Equalizer hitch setups sway could not be more wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
2. I leave the truck idling in reverse.
Seriously?! That just destroyed any pretense of a PPP being a safe option. Do that step enough, and it'll bite sooner or later. I'd implore you not to do as such or recommend it to others.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Sub par hitch? Subpar rig? Subpar hitch setup? Or subpar you name it...

The assumption that all Equalizer hitch setups sway could not be more wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Seriously?! That just destroyed any pretense of a PPP being a safe option. Do that step enough, and it'll bite sooner or later. I'd implore you not to do as such or recommend it to others.
I had the same thought on each statement as well.....
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Good point. I have a lot bar but did not get to the point of using it. My sitE was fairly level so I was surprised I had such a rough time. Part of of the issue may have been all the attempts to hitch up kind of dug up the dirt under my tires and that may have changed my approach angle.

Like I said, just venting. Hook up is usually a snap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
JonDrew55 - when you say the angle was too far off, had you adjusted the WD jacks so that the angle of the head matched the angle of the stinger?

I’ve not used a separate jack under anything when hitching. I carry the lot bar for insurance but have yet to use it. I have experienced hitching situations in which a slight adjustment was necessary as I backed the stinger. Say…as the truck goes back it encounters a rise in the terrain thus requiring a slight lift of the tongue jack or adjustment to the hitch head angle. The one situation I was at the cursing point was fewer than 10 hitchings-worth of experience. Luckily, my engineering savvy grandson noticed the angle difference. Five minutes later we were heading to our next campsite.

I keep a thin layer of lithium grease in the PP stinger receiver.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:27 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
When Im disconnecting I release the tension from my jacks every time. It allows the jacks to move freely and gives a lot more flexible to my approach angle when reconnecting.
I also shamelessly borrowed some pointers from Bob, except I use tape instead of o rings on my cheater bar to mark my hitch/stinger height.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
When Im disconnecting I release the tension from my jacks every time. It allows the jacks to move freely and gives a lot more flexible to my approach angle when reconnecting.
I also shamelessly borrowed some pointers from Bob, except I use tape instead of o rings on my cheater bar to mark my hitch/stinger height.

I use white appliance touch up to make a mark on my Hensley jacks, appliance touch up comes with an integrated brush.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I would like to camp next to one of you guys with a hitch other than the PPP type and have friendly race on unhooking or hooking up a trailer - I find the PPP type fast and easy to use once you understand what's involved.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:06 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Little rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I would like to camp next to one of you guys with a hitch other than the PPP type and have friendly race on unhooking or hooking up a trailer - I find the PPP type fast and easy to use once you understand what's involved.

I’ll race you! I use a shocker hitch and drop it on the ball and go. I tow a 27 FCFBT with an F350. Never a hint of sway or pucker on panic stops. I’ve had to hitch and go at extreme angles-not a problem. Happy hitching and safe travels to all y’all
Dtrentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Maybe you really can justify the $3,000 cost of a PPP if it is the fastest easiest to hitch and increases your fuel mileage substantially. Saving you time and money. Wow, this really must be a miracle product.

NOT!, but it sure is fun to read.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
It certainly is strange that someone can use a non-PPP hitch/setup that offers WD and sway control, also experiences zero issues with hook up and detachment, has no issues on the road but yet is still told to get a PPP hitch for $2k more.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:09 AM   #30
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Everything is relative. I've used three different brands of hitches. The PPP is the best.... for me. It is not for others and I'm happy with that. And I'm not encouraging anyone to get a PPP. It is great to have choices.

I wish hooking up was as easy as just dropping the hitch on the ball... but it is not. There is a learning curve (as it is with most things). I've developed a technique using a few tools I've made. But again, to me, it is worth the learning curve to use this design.
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:34 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tallahassee , Florida
Too many engineers

You guys are nuts.
Been dragging SOBs around since 1985 and never used anything but conventional systems with WD bars and friction sway controllers. Never have those elevation/trig issues with a ball hitch.
I full time to the tune of over 20k miles per year.
LU86Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:11 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
This confirms my love for my Eaz-e-lift hitch set up. Hook up the tow vehicle to the trailer hitch, set it down, hook up the bars. Done in 10 minutes no matter what the terrain is like
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:15 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
2022 Interstate 24GT
St. Petersburg , Florida
Aside from whacking my shin on the stinger, the ProPride, in my opinion, is a superb WD and anti-sway hitch...without reservation. While the port and starboard axis and the up and down axis are easy to align in prep for connect, but matching the pitch of the Main Hitch Unit with that of the stinger deserves a bit more accuracy. I think the legacy jacks with the straps were easier to set the pitch but the V2's work well but sometimes requires the little lady step on the WD bars to keep the angle. in some situations, on a rise or coming down into a depression, she adjust the tongue jack as I back the stinger in to "hook it" as we set the wedge then OCLs, passing the safety chains (get 12,000 lb BS hammerlocks), set the jacks, plug in the 7-way (use di-electric grease) and GO. I like not having to rebuild the hitch system each time and the anti-sway four-link design can't be beat. The new stingers are chamfered and that helps, but a few minutes with a grinder can sort that on an older PP.
Salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:14 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
I struggled with my Hensley until I bought a 6" magnetic level. As long as the the angles of the stinger and hitch head are similar--absolutely no problems.
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:10 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamakai View Post
I struggled with my Hensley until I bought a 6" magnetic level. As long as the the angles of the stinger and hitch head are similar--absolutely no problems.
Levels are a good recommendation. I almost never had a problem with hitching up with our Hensley (we have now used it for 20 years), but a post on the Forum several years ago led me to buy a couple of bullseye levels from Amazon. Double-stick foam tape holds flat magnets on the backs. One level goes on the end of the stinger and one on the hitch head.

Stinger to hitch head alignment is now simplified. I adjust the hitch head so it's level matches the stinger's level. Of course, the stinger still has to aim directly into the hitch head, but a rearview camera makes that easy.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:01 PM   #36
Ebb and Flo

Tulsa , Oklahoma
I strongly agree with BruceB and the other posts who say you are doing something wrong if you feel a need to modify the 3P in any way to mate truck and trailer.

The two spring bar adjustments and the tongue jack should be all you need to adjust.

Call Sean at propride. He will happily coach you through the issues you are having.

Ebb - 2015 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Flo - 2012 30' International Serenity
davidlbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:31 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
The usual PP bashing by people with other hitches. Get a life.

What has helped us hitch on, is first of all I coat the stinger with some lithium grease.

Rather than try and adjust the head using the towers I lower the jacks all the way to take the tension off. As someone mentioned that allows the hitch head to move.

To get the height correct, I use a magnetic torpedo level in the hitch head stuck in far enough that is is flat with the hitch. This allows me to look from the side and adjust the tongue jack to the right height.

With all of this if you are straight with the hitch the stinger should slide right in.
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:06 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
The usual PP bashing by people with other hitches. Get a life.
Really?

Jondrew55 starts a thread about the PIA he has with the PPP hitch. Some comment about how it isn't a problem to hook up a PPP, others say it kinda is, while others say they don't want a PPP ever, their non-PPP WD/sway is perfectly fine, expense isn't justified, etc.

I think a thread that starts with the troubles one user has with a PPP then having comments that run the spectrum is perfectly fine.

Glad your PPP works for you and is trouble-free.

The hitch bashing obviously works both ways. I'm sure in the end we will all be ok, and you will be too.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:01 PM   #39
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
You just have to be a bit smarter than the hitch.
If I did it anyone should be able to handle it.

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D21E1C3B-2835-4048-BC18-F90683B644CF_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	416670  
Old 05-30-2022, 05:48 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
All comments welcome. Next thread will be on tire pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post
Really?

Jondrew55 starts a thread about the PIA he has with the PPP hitch. Some comment about how it isn't a problem to hook up a PPP, others say it kinda is, while others say they don't want a PPP ever, their non-PPP WD/sway is perfectly fine, expense isn't justified, etc.

I think a thread that starts with the troubles one user has with a PPP then having comments that run the spectrum is perfectly fine.

Glad your PPP works for you and is trouble-free.

The hitch bashing obviously works both ways. I'm sure in the end we will all be ok, and you will be too.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote