Old 10-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #1

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Kenmore , Washington
Pro Pride hitch

We just got a RAM 2500 and are getting a Flying Cloud '27. Right now I'm looking for a hitch. From reading the forums, it sounds like the Pro Pride 3P is one of the better hitches available. My question is how hard is it to hook up the trailer using the PP? Does it take 30 minutes of work or is it relatively painless?
Also, give the roughly 800# touch weight (unloaded) I assume 1000# bars would be the way to go here to add some leeway correct?
DarthScotius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I think your question is completely legitimate—I also think it's a bit of a religious war on these forums.

I have a 3P. It's the only hitch I've had. I think it's great and had no issues on 100+ days of traveling last year to and from Alaska. It's probably a little more involved than most hitches to dock and undock (that's the term I use for the PP)—you have to line up a 2" stinger into a 3" tapered hole. In some situations it's more difficult than others, but most of the time I get it on the first try. I have a lot of experience hitching and unhitching with tow balls; I don't think sliding the stinger in is any more difficult than getting a ball under (and in some ways it's easier). Both types benefit immensely from having a backup camera.

Can't say on weight. Make sure you're going with a measured tongue weight rather than the brochure. I've got 1400 lbs on my GT because my measured TW was over 1000lbs.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #3
Is it January yet?

Currently Looking...
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Call ProPride and talk with Sean or Brent; they will recommend the best spring bars for your application.

There is a bit of learning curve when you first start with this hitch, but you'll figure it out quick quickly. I don't find that "docking/undocking" takes any more time than any other weight distributing hitch.

The 2 biggest aha moments for me were
  1. Application of lube on the draw bar and the inside of the ProPride receiver. Before I was doing this, occasionally I had trouble inserting or pulling out. I find that dry PTFE (e.g. Teflon) works great for this purpose.
  2. When undocking, you really want to have the hitch height match the natural height of your TV receiver. Use the tongue jack to raise the trailer just until ProPride stops moving but trailer keeps moving up. This will allow easy, safe withdrawal .
Maybe everyone else already knew these things, but I feel like a hitch genius now that I know these tricks. I have had zero issues when docking/undocking at any campsite at any angle on any surface.
ProPride 3P w/ 1400 lb. spring bars
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
The only time I have had difficulty with my ProPride is when there was a change in the plane of the ground from where the trailer was to where the truck was. When unhooking I release the tension on the WD jacks. I put my hand on the ball coupler and raise the trailer with the tongue jack. When I feel the ball move slightly I know the tension is off. If I don't feel that, the truck is either pushing or pulling on the trailer. I put the truck in neutral momentarily with the brake off to release tension and then go back to park/brake on.

When hooking up there are several degrees of alignment that have to be close to correct. The stinger (part that sticks out from the truck) has to be at the same height as the tapered opening of the hitch body and the hitch body has to be inline horizontally, vertically and with respect to twist with the stinger.

It sounds more complicated than it is. I just back up close on the right line, eyeball it and adjust the tongue jack and WD jacks to get everything lined up. In three years of towing (almost 100 stops, with more hookups and unhooks) with the ProPride I have had only 3 instances where hooking up or unhooking was really difficult. Some times I get it right on the first try, sometimes I have to position the truck a couple of times to get it right but the benefits of the ProPride outweigh the inconveniences.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthScotius View Post
We just got a RAM 2500 and are getting a Flying Cloud '27. Right now I'm looking for a hitch. From reading the forums, it sounds like the Pro Pride 3P is one of the better hitches available. My question is how hard is it to hook up the trailer using the PP? Does it take 30 minutes of work or is it relatively painless?
Also, give the roughly 800# touch weight (unloaded) I assume 1000# bars would be the way to go here to add some leeway correct?
Hello and welcome to the forum. It’s great to have you with us.

I have a RAM 2500 and tow a 27’ Globetrotter. I am using the Propride hitch and I installed it myself. As suggested I would call Sean at Propride and he will make a recommendation on the size of the bars.

Originally I had some challenges hooking up but, with experience, now it’s easy. The key, as others have mentioned, is to have the stinger on the same angle as the receiver and at the correct height. I actually made a stinger out of wood to insert into the receiver to help adjust the angle of the receiver match. With the camera in the RAM I can see everything which definitely makes it easier.

Also, as mentioned, I found lubricating the stinger to be helpful.

I like the Propride hitch system.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I towed with a traditional hitch (equalizer) for ~10 years - both a 25' and a 30'. I have a 2500 as well.

Made the switch to a propride 2 years ago (bought one used locally, but like new @ $1700 bucks). Will not go back. Many advantages, not just stability. I have no issues whatsoever hitching / unhitching.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #7

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Kenmore , Washington
Thx so much for the info! That really helps!
DarthScotius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
BTW you will want the 1,400lb bars for your trailer due to tongue weight near 1,000lbs (Sean will tell you this if you call). I run mine at 6" - not too much tension. Tension is not required for sway prevention, that is built into how the hitch fundamentally works...
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Just to add in what others have said. It’s a great hitch. And you will love being able to adjust the distribution on the fly. I have on occasion adjusted the WD part to make for better handling.

And a back up camera is really critical. But you can also purchase a devise that will move the tongue from side to side if necessary. But my guess is you have a back up camera.

Also be patient with the learning curve. It will take you a number of times to get the hang of it. But once you do you will be able to hitch up and adjust the bars in about 5 to 10 minutes. Also you want to get a 20V battery drill to adjust the Weight Distribution bars. Much easier and faster than the hand one provided.
Daquenzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Daquenzer—20V? I do fine with my 12V.

I second the “lube the receiver” tip. I just have a can of silicone lubricant in the same box I keep the wrenches in (front storage compartment). Shoot some in there while I’m up front of the trailer, getting the chains and stuff ready. Makes things much, much easier.

A trick I came up with while I was on my trip to Alaska was I put a bright orange stick on the ground directly in line with the receiver. It is SO much easier to align the line on the screen on top of that stick than it is to try and line it up with the receiver itself (which is usually dark, in shade, etc.

Anyway, everyone has their own processes and tricks and it all becomes natural with practice...
Old 10-02-2020, 05:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Daquenzer—20V? I do fine with my 12V.

I second the “lube the receiver” tip. I just have a can of silicone lubricant in the same box I keep the wrenches in (front storage compartment). Shoot some in there while I’m up front of the trailer, getting the chains and stuff ready. Makes things much, much easier.

A trick I came up with while I was on my trip to Alaska was I put a bright orange stick on the ground directly in line with the receiver. It is SO much easier to align the line on the screen on top of that stick than it is to try and line it up with the receiver itself (which is usually dark, in shade, etc.

Anyway, everyone has their own processes and tricks and it all becomes natural with practice...
I use a 20V because it has more applications in the house for drilling etc. Plus I got a heck of deal on it
Daquenzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Pro Pride hitch

Yup. Great hitch. I have a set of “Overkill Engineering Department” powered WD jacks to make setup super easy (Thanks, Barry!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4580.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	379902

Push button easy WD tensioning, all I need is a tape measure. Eventually I’ll put an Arduino computer in charge of adjusting the jacks.

Hey, it’s what engineers do...complicate the heck out of simple things!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I use a 20V because it has more applications in the house for drilling etc. Plus I got a heck of deal on it
Ah, OK—yeah, 18-20V are great all purpose drills. I keep a 12V set in the truck. Nice and small.

Also I didn’t realize you were also in Wisconsin...