Old 06-12-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Salem , Oregon
Possibly replacing VW Diesel Touareg with Jeep GC

We've been extremely happy campers for the past six years towing our 20 foot FC with a VW Diesel Touareg, now with 76k miles on it. It leveled hills at nice speeds and got great mileage. And it fit in our condo's small parking space. The VW scandal has poisoned the diesel option for other manufacturers as well. As we search for a replacement (VW is giving us a very generous offer!), we are learning that our other diesel options, such as Jeep, BMW, Audi, others no longer exist. Given our parking situation, a large pickup is not an option. So we are looking at the Jeep GC, V6. it has 285 HP and a torque of 260 @ 4,000 RPM, and a towing capacity of 6500. Our FC weighs 4200 empty and probably 5,000 loaded. My question is this: Is that enough hp and torque? Or should we go with the V8 Hemi with considerably more power, but with less mileage? For those of you who tow with a JGC, what kind of mileage do you get towing and not towing? We're a little spoiled with the mileage and power we are giving up.

kathyek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:42 AM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Yes, VW is giving you a very generous offer, BUT since any replacement will certainly not meet your requirements and most certainly cost you more in fuel costs; why not keep the Touareg. I was under the impression that turning the vehicle in was voluntary, not mandatory. However I do understand why you may want to turn the vehicle in now as VW and dealer support for diesel will go away eventually.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyandRon View Post
We've been extremely happy campers for the past six years towing our 20 foot FC with a VW Diesel Touareg, now with 76k miles on it. It leveled hills at nice speeds and got great mileage. And it fit in our condo's small parking space. The VW scandal has poisoned the diesel option for other manufacturers as well. As we search for a replacement (VW is giving us a very generous offer!), we are learning that our other diesel options, such as Jeep, BMW, Audi, others no longer exist. Given our parking situation, a large pickup is not an option. So we are looking at the Jeep GC, V6. it has 285 HP and a torque of 260 @ 4,000 RPM, and a towing capacity of 6500. Our FC weighs 4200 empty and probably 5,000 loaded. My question is this: Is that enough hp and torque? Or should we go with the V8 Hemi with considerably more power, but with less mileage? For those of you who tow with a JGC, what kind of mileage do you get towing and not towing? We're a little spoiled with the mileage and power we are giving up.
My original TV was a Grand Cherokee V6, with the Pentastar engine. I tow a 19' Serenity, soon to be replaced with a 25'. It towed OK, but the power was a bit marginal for merging. It made me a bit nervous in wind, and the TW was rated a 500 lbs.
I upgraded to a truck, and recently completed a trip from Detroit across Canada, through Quebec, Bar Harbor, and Cape Cod, returning across PA and Ohio. It was effortless. The truck controlled speed well up and down grade, shifted smoothly, and ran nice and cool. I hit some really rough roads and even had to brake hard when some rude driver in Connecticut decided to "brake check" a car a few lengths ahead (actually came to a full stop in the middle of the freeway and opened his door). The 16" Michelin tires took the bumps well, although some cabinet door hinges worked loose.
It would have been a different trip with the Jeep. I found 65mph to be the most comfortable speed both up and down grade; I doubt the Jeep would've done that. My input, based on experience with the V6, would be to go for the Hemi.

By the way, I got about 19 mpg not towing, and about 13 towing, with that V6.

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Smile Keep your Touareg!

We have a 2010 Golf GTD with the same, now notorious, VW turbocharged diesel technology. We love it. Tremendous power, acceleration, and unbeaten fuel efficiency.

If you can keep your Touareg, do it.

And, don't let your VW dealer fool with it.

Remember, don't fix it if it ain't broke!

Power to the People.

Sue & Dan
DaytonaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You won't find a better tow vehicle for your FC 20 and daily driver than the Touareg you already own. Our 11 year old VW Jetta TDI is as nice as new. Consider keeping it.

We found little difference between towing our FC 20 and our FC 25, they both cut a similar size hole through the air and that's where most of the resistance is. We towed the FC 25 with a reg cab Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7, a really nice engine with plenty of power, good fuel economy (13 towing and 20 highway solo). The Durango is basically the same as GC with a longer wheelbase, a little more stability and interior space.

We now have a Ram 1500 with a 3.0 turbodiesel and love the engine/8-spd transmission. I think you would miss the Touareg TDI.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
I have an extra 2007 VW V10 TDI with air suspension in perfect condition ( 101K ) that I would very much like to sell. Just did the 100k major service, new batteries, waterpump, tires etc. Black with grey leather $16k. Perfect for towing. It has more towing power than an F250 and much better mileage
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
JGC 6 Cyl

We have a 2014 Jeep GC Pentastar 6 Cylinder and tow a 22 fb Bambi Sport,(3,800 Lbs -4,500 Lbs) we traveled 6000 miles since purchase through NY, NJ, Penn, WV and Maryland. We have had no issues and the Jeep tows great in in the mountains of WV and Western MD. We just returned from Lake Placid New York to NJ and got 16.5 MPG.( 21-22 mph when not towing). I love my Jeep GC.
Having said that: I would not want to tow a heavier AS. There were times when more torque ( long Grades of WV & NY) would have been helpful.
I test drove the Jeep GC Diesel and was ready to purchase when the Sales person suggested issues were ahead with the small diesels and he did not recommend the change. ( great dealer).
The eight Cylinder Hemi is a great choice, if you can find one, they are a bit pricey also.
Good travels / Dave
dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
We have 85k miles on our 2014 Jeep GC Eco Diesel. Towed our 23FB (5,400 lbs loaded, with actual tongue wt about 700 lbs, depending on loading for each trip) over 35,000 miles to date (presently in McCall, ID), including Seattle - St. John's Newfoundland. We use an Equalizer hitch. (We owned two Jetta TDI diesels and passed them to kids who are reaping the rewards of buyback now).

The Jeep Eco Diesel has been fantastic as a TV across the Rockies and the California Grapevine several times and in all types of roads (NL is rugged). We like to stay below 65 mph, but it is very easy to creep up above 70 while going uphill if I am not paying attention. The paddle shifters on the 8 speed transmission allow me to avoid using brakes downhill. 240 HP and 420 torque. The tongue weight is the limiting factor as is carrying capacity with a payload of 1,050 lbs, BEFORE tongue weight is subtracted.

Highway is typically 30 mpg without towing and 16.5 mpg towing. That was over 15,000 miles round trip Seattle - Newfoundland. We have had as low as 14 mpg and as high as 19 mpg towing on other trips, depending on wind, terrain, and speed.

You might find a used Jeep GC Eco Diesel. But be aware that the EPA is presently looking at Fiat Chrysler for violations similar to VW.

We love the Jeep for day trips off road when we are camped! And because it is the Summit model, we really like the creature comforts like vented seats.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
As for keeping a recalled Diesel, you likely will not be able to register it and get plates if the revisions to the emissions are not approved and completed. And those emissions controls will likely affect mileage and performance.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
We are holding on to our 2014 Touareg TDI as long as we can and once everything is finalized we can make a final decision.

We want to keep our TDI because the power it provides and pulls our 23D like a champ. We love the overall consistent mpg it provides and don't need any additional mod to the hitch other than out Equalizer WD hitch setup. We will give it up and move up to a truck if the changes/fix significantly reduces overall performance, we shall see.

Sorry if this was off topic
EarStreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
The 2007 V10 TDI VW is not part of the emission scandal as it was produced prior to the V6 TDI's so it's exempt to any buy back or recall. I just had the one I want to sell ( I have two) pass CA emissions. Only 250 were brought into the US that year
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
We have 85k miles on our 2014 Jeep GC Eco Diesel. Towed our 23FB (5,400 lbs loaded, with actual tongue wt about 700 lbs, depending on loading for each trip) over 35,000 miles to date (presently in McCall, ID), including Seattle - St. John's Newfoundland. We use an Equalizer hitch. (We owned two Jetta TDI diesels and passed them to kids who are reaping the rewards of buyback now).

The Jeep Eco Diesel has been fantastic as a TV across the Rockies and the California Grapevine several times and in all types of roads (NL is rugged). We like to stay below 65 mph, but it is very easy to creep up above 70 while going uphill if I am not paying attention. The paddle shifters on the 8 speed transmission allow me to avoid using brakes downhill. 240 HP and 420 torque. The tongue weight is the limiting factor as is carrying capacity with a payload of 1,050 lbs, BEFORE tongue weight is subtracted.

Highway is typically 30 mpg without towing and 16.5 mpg towing. That was over 15,000 miles round trip Seattle - Newfoundland. We have had as low as 14 mpg and as high as 19 mpg towing on other trips, depending on wind, terrain, and speed.

You might find a used Jeep GC Eco Diesel. But be aware that the EPA is presently looking at Fiat Chrysler for violations similar to VW.

We love the Jeep for day trips off road when we are camped! And because it is the Summit model, we really like the creature comforts like vented seats.

My experience with our 2014 GC Overland EcoDiesel and 2011 FC23FB is very similar to WestiHouse. Same hitch as well. It is a very capable, comfortable and enjoyable vehicle. There is no recall on the EcoDiesel. FCA received a 'notice of violation' and is sorting this out with the EPA. Reports are that a software flash will likely be all that is required. I would personally re-purchase this vehicle without reservation.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I have a 2014 JGC Summit and a 23D FC 2017. Dry weight 4000, loaded 6000 lb.

It tows fine here in Colorado, been boondocking and up and down some serious mountain passes. In a few very steep grade situations, max speed was 45-50, but i am not sure I would tow faster than that anyway. I would think the JGC would do fine for you.

I get 20 MPG mixed normal, and when I tow the AS its between 12-13 mpg. I thought I was going to have to get a F150 or Ram1500, and really didn't want to as I just paid the JGC off. I can tell you after our last few trips in very demanding conditions, the JGC tows great, so I have shelved the new truck idea.

Be warned, the limiting factor is PAYLOAD, at 1150 pounds, and a 600-700 pound tongue weight (depending on how its loaded, I can get 600 most of the time), I can only fit people and the dog in as cargo. Thats is the only reason I would ditch the jeep, if I need extra payload capacity for carrying gear. So far this has worked as I can fit all the gear in the AS.

Thanks
Rich
Old 06-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
As a former Audi A3 TDI owner, I miss that car, I enjoyed my diesel. If your looking for another diesel powered SUV, give a look at the new 2017 Jaguar F-Pace diesel. I took one for a drive and was impressed by the power, pick-up and over all performance. I don't know what the towing spec's are, but I know the one I drove had the factory installed hitch.
Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
Diesel

I have the Chevy Colorado Diesel and love it. Tow a 22 ft CCD and get 20mpg, 30+mpg when not towing, my 1st diesel, very impressed.
bluvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyek View Post
We've been extremely happy campers for the past six years towing our 20 foot FC with a VW Diesel Touareg ... So we are looking at the Jeep GC, V6. it has 285 HP and a torque of 260 @ 4,000 RPM, and a towing capacity of 6500. Our FC weighs 4200 empty and probably 5,000 loaded. My question is this: Is that enough hp and torque? Or should we go with the V8 Hemi with considerably more power, but with less mileage?
Too bad VW decided to game the system rather than licensing MB's Bluetec system as was their orig plan. Touaregs are great SUV's and it'll be tough to replace at a comparable cost. The power and torque of the GC are adequate as long as you are comfortable letting the engine rev into the upper half of its range. GL with your decision, Dave

dasams is offline   Reply With Quote