Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 11:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

martinez , California
popping rivets while towing?

I just read a post about popping rivets while towing on somewhat bumpy freeway, to me this freeway is normal in California. Is this a common thing to happen with airstreams, New, old, etc?
jackvosney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:50 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
When I bought my first new airstream , ( 19 foot) , I drove home approx 300 miles , on normal roads and it popped two rivets on the the ride home, I was told this is normal , I had no weight distribution bars on , I'm told if the bars are on and too strong this can happen more . I did install proper weight distribution bars and had the missing rivets replaced and never loss any more until I sold it a year later. I replace the 19 footer with a 16 footer airstream and the 16 footer never loss a single rivet from day one. I would guess the 16 footer is more rigid and has less flex . From what I heard its normal to loose a few rivets now and then in a new or old airstream .

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
In my experience, it is more common in new trailers. Because they are hand built...and in sections....after it is all assembled, there are bound to be stresses all over the trailer that are only relieved after the "settling" of the assembly, in its entirety, after miles of jouncing and flexing. I lost a few early in the life of the trailer, then nothing....well, one in the exterior of the rear compartment door frame. But that was definitely associated with a pretty firm tail drag while exiting a gas station in the Keys on the left rear corner only.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We popped rivets on a 2011 30' AS on every trip towing with an F250 Diesel. In 10,000 miles with a new 30' FC being towed by an F350 much stiffer ride we did not pop one rivet I could find. Go figure, because I cannot. Popped the kitchen cabinet with the sink in it away from the wall because the factory never attached it.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think there are always some interior rivets that are going to pop. More a factor of soft, short rivets that maybe were not in good than anything else. There is nothing really strong about the interior rivets. After I replaced a few it mostly quit happening.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

martinez , California
good info from everyone thank you! So from what I'm understanding this is typically interior rivets that pop and are relatively an easy repair for someone who is handy or skilled?
jackvosney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The exterior are bucked rivets and I have never seen one pop loose. I think the skin would tear first.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackvosney View Post
I just read a post about popping rivets while towing on somewhat bumpy freeway, to me this freeway is normal in California. Is this a common thing to happen with airstreams, New, old, etc?
There are a number of reasons that cause interior as well as exterior rivets to "pop".

I base this on my 50 years experience with the Airstream products, as well as having written the crash book in 1970, for what then was the insurance division of Airstream.

Excessive rated tow vehicles, excessive rated hitch bars, unbalanced running gear and/or an out of round tire, and bad axles.

For some reason, some owners as well as some dealers spell out heavy duty load equalizing hitches with excessive rated tow vehicles.

Simple Physics demonstrates that with any given Airstream trailer,
the heavier duty the tow vehicle, the lighter rating bars must be used.

Many owners on this Forums have made that change and not one of them has ever said anything other than "WOW" what an improvement, or words to that degree,

Yes, scalloped road can cause rivets to shear, but very rarely.

What must be kept in mind, it that an Airstream trailer or motorhome, "FLEXES" to some degree when towed. The more the shell flexes, the greater the chances of rivets shearing, both pops well as buck rivets.

Keeping the ride for an Airstream trailer "SOFT" which it demands, is keeping rivet shearing in check.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
If I remember right there is (2) different lengths of interior rivets in a newer model AS. My memory is (1/8" by .5 long) and (1/8" by .75 long. Is that correct)?
Thanks
Old 04-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
We have towed our 2005 Classic over 30,000 miles including a trip to Alaska and have never popped a rivet towing with a Ford F250SD.
Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackvosney View Post
good info from everyone thank you! So from what I'm understanding this is typically interior rivets that pop and are relatively an easy repair for someone who is handy or skilled?
I am not particularly handy or skilled but a little reading, sourcing the correct pop rivets and riveter and a number 30 drill (i think that was the size for clearing out the interior rivets) and this task is not really a challenge- just take it slowly and carefully. I would agree with others that over time, the rate of poppa slows.
Martin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
We have towed our 2005 Classic over 30,000 miles including a trip to Alaska and have never popped a rivet towing with a Ford F250SD.
Dennis
Does a 2005 Classic have interior aluminum panel rivets?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Does a 2005 Classic have interior aluminum panel rivets?
Yes

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
We used to pop between one and three interior rivets annually in our 2009 International 28. When we switched to 16" wheels and Michelins w Centramatics last year, we now lose about one a month. I currently see about 6 interior rivets that are loosening up (you can get a fingernail under the head.) Our only conclusion is that the higher tire pressures (we've lowered from 78 to 73, but this is still higher than the old Marathons and TowMax at 65) are bouncing the rig uo and down more in rough roads.

The occasional popped interior river seems to be normal--lotsa shear loads going down the road, particularly when you go over a driveway at an angle and one side lifts before the other for a nice twisting if the fuselage.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #15
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
While getting the AS ready for an upcoming trip, we noticed a rivet head on the bedspread. It's been under covered storage, not moved for the last 6 months. A bit of a surprise.

My guess is expansion/contraction due to temp changes is the culprit.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
If I remember right there is (2) different lengths of interior rivets in a newer model AS. My memory is (1/8" by .5 long) and (1/8" by .75 long. Is that correct)?
Thanks

Can anyone confirm this? I have the ability to purchase some tomorrow and want to ensure I'm getting the correct ones
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Andy,
I have a 19' 2007 Bambi 75th SE. It came with the HD equalizer hitch I think rated from 6-10,000 lbs. bars seem to be 1.5" square. I am towing with a new Toyota Tundra. Have owned As since Oct. just did a cross country road trip 7200 miles highway driving. It popped one rivet over the door has another loose one. Marathon tires and I am getting ready to upgrade to 16" wheels and Michelin tires. My question is are my tow bars to heavy and are the Michelin upgrade tires going to encourage more rivet popping? Also, do you have any experience with Centramatic balances that keep popping up (no pun engender). I was towing at 65mph due to flow of IS traffic. The past owner had popped a couple near the door also.
Thanks for your help.
Ken
pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Can anyone confirm this? I have the ability to purchase some tomorrow and want to ensure I'm getting the correct ones
Thanks

I've only used 1/8 x .5 for interior rivets.
Not sure where 1/8 x .75 would be needed, but it would not hurt to have a few.

I use all aluminum, not the aluminum cap with ferrous center shaft.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I've only used 1/8 x .5 for interior rivets.
Not sure where 1/8 x .75 would be needed, but it would not hurt to have a few.

I use all aluminum, not the aluminum cap with ferrous center shaft.

Thanks for taking the time to get this for me

Cheers
Doug

Old 04-15-2016, 07:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
We used to pop between one and three interior rivets annually in our 2009 International 28. When we switched to 16" wheels and Michelins w Centramatics last year, we now lose about one a month. I currently see about 6 interior rivets that are loosening up (you can get a fingernail under the head.) Our only conclusion is that the higher tire pressures (we've lowered from 78 to 73, but this is still higher than the old Marathons and TowMax at 65) are bouncing the rig uo and down more in rough roads.

The occasional popped interior river seems to be normal--lotsa shear loads going down the road, particularly when you go over a driveway at an angle and one side lifts before the other for a nice twisting if the fuselage.
That's interesting...my experience is completely different. Since I switched to 16" Mich (@ 80psi) and Centramatics (along with modifying loading and WD), I can't say I've noted any more popping. Now, I do have mouse fur and vinyl covering, so it isn't quite so obvious....but the aluminum dust from rivet chafing does show through the mouse fur.