Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #1

2016 27' International
Wilsonville , Alabama
Please help / changing tow vehicle

Looking for advise, first time airstream ownerI changed from a Ford F-150 Eco boost to a 2016 gmc 2500 diesel Denali .
Towing a 2016 27' international signature that the dealer set up w a fast way equilizer.

I have been told that the 2500 rides better w more weight on the hitch and less weight distribution is needed.

Is this true?
If less w/d is used does that change the sway control?
Is this the correct hitch for my set up?
Will it beat the trailer up?

Thanks in advance
Rukjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
We have a 2015 Denali Duramax. It is a great towing machine. I think the newer 2500s ride much smoother than versions in the past. We also had a bed slide and a topper which adds weight plus the various things we bring along in the bed.

I cannot speak about the Equalizer hitch as I have never owned one. I use the Blue Ox Sway Pro and have had good results from it. Their WD bars are round and I have read that they flex easier than square bars.

Many, many folks on this forum have Equalizers and speak highly of them. Perhaps they can give you a more detailed answer to your questions. My guess is that you and your Airstream will be pleased with the Denali.
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukjon View Post
Looking for advise, first time airstream ownerI changed from a Ford F-150 Eco boost to a 2016 gmc 2500 diesel Denali .
Towing a 2016 27' international signature that the dealer set up w a fast way equilizer.

I have been told that the 2500 rides better w more weight on the hitch and less weight distribution is needed.

Is this true?
If less w/d is used does that change the sway control?
Is this the correct hitch for my set up?
Will it beat the trailer up?

Thanks in advance
I found this is true. If the hitch has built in sway then some WD is needed. If the hitch has sway bars separate then it makes no difference. Use lighter rated bars.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
We just made the switch to the same TV, but from a 2008 Tundra SR5. I have the same question as Rukjon. I already plan to switch the stinger out for the 2 1/2
" model. My question is should I also drop down the weight bars from 1000# to something lighter? Would be great to hear from someone who made the 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton switch with the Equalizer system.

Rukjon, hope you are enjoying the new truck, we really like ours. Picked it up last Wednesday and loaded it up to go fly fishing in Montana on Friday (without the Airstream this time). Ride was very comfortable and the Duramax loves to climb mountains!
MIFC is offline   Reply With Quote