Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
old, I mean, vintage hitch systems

Here is a question for the restore crowd: Is anyone rebuilding/restoring vintage towing hitch equipment? I see many with vintage trailers and TV's, but have never paid attention to the hitching arrangement. I am still looking for someone to tow their vintage AS into camp with the front wheel drive Toronado or Caddy with the rear wheels removed...like the old "trailer life" ads....
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I know this doesn't answer your question, but my trailer came with one half of a very old equalizer hitch. I don't know if it's an Airstream product or not. I also don't know what to do with it. I'll probably hold on to it for the time being. I suspect that someday, someone will want it.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
This is an old WDH system that I use. My neighbor gave it to me when we got our Trade Wind 6 years ago. He said that it was old and was given to him 'years ago'. I think it's an Equalizer....if it isn't someone correct me. Fortunately it has the 1000# bars, just what I need.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3170774.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	161122  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
Don't know what year(s) Wmarsha is refering to by vintage?
FreshAir - the picture you posted is indeed a WDH. Great gift that you received. It's not much different than standard WDH's that are used today. Notice that yours has a sway bar attachment.
Like the old saying goes " If it's not broke - don't fix it"!! Selling price today for a similar set up would be $ 500.00 to $600.00 I know the cost as someone stole the WDH off our GMC truck while it was parked in our deiveway at home and I had to replace it. Everyone should have a locking pin for the WDH - I didn't, although I had looked at them in a store last winter and thought it was a good idea.
FreshAir -Great to see a sedan in harness and ready to pull!

Bob
nairnchyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
In 1979 I purchased a Reese straight adjustable trunion bar WD hitch, 750# bars. I have used it for towing probably 100,000 miles and still use it, or my similar age Draw Tight round bar. That one has gone another 100,000 miles. I towed 400 miles with it today in fact. Both hitches work just like they did when new.

However, I have an Andersen WD on order now and would have used it for this trip if the order had not become confused and it did not arrive on time (see the Andersen thread). Reason for the new hitch? I wanted to try it out, it is much lighter than the old ones, and it will not be greasy. But, honestly, the old ones work very well still, and there was no "have to" in my purchase. I have never,ever, had any issue with sway on my trailers, but the Andersen has a built in sway system. That will be interesting to evaluate and see if I can tell any difference from years of towing Airstreams up to 25' with no sway control.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I was facinated with the slimp dollys on a thread. These were very early weight dist and sway control all built into one. Unfortunately they had drawbacks but I hope someone may revisit this who could overcome some of these problems. It is a very good idea.

Dan
Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I forgot about the dolly. In the 60's I had a dolly on a Shasta 16' trailer. We towed it with a 60 hp Mercedes 190 Diesel. My dad and I wrote an article for Trailer Life called "A Diesel and a Dolly". I wonder if there are any copies of that around. Are there any Trailer Life archives?

I had not thought about that in years. Thanks for the memory.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Idroba, when I saw pics I was facinated with the wd possibilities and the sway control. Apparantly backing was a problem as the dolly added a pivot point or changed it, and highway speeds were also difficult.

Dan
Old 06-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Dolly?

Did someone say, 'dolly'. This is me in 1952 hooking up the family trailer to the famly Nash......somewhere along RTE 66.

Neil
Attached Images

FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 06-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
This is an old WDH system that I use. My neighbor gave it to me when we got our Trade Wind 6 years ago. He said that it was old and was given to him 'years ago'. I think it's an Equalizer....if it isn't someone correct me. Fortunately it has the 1000# bars, just what I need.

Neil
FreshAir, The hitch you have is not an Equalizer, but is an Easylift, or a copy thereof. I had one once just like it. It's a good hitch, but not an anti-sway hitch, and that's why the friction bar is needed.

Keep it well greased where the bars go into the head, the friction bar tight, and it will work well for you for many years yet to come.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
FreshAir, The hitch you have is not an Equalizer, but is an Easylift, or a copy thereof. I had one once just like it. It's a good hitch, but not an anti-sway hitch, and that's why the friction bar is needed.

Keep it well greased where the bars go into the head, the friction bar tight, and it will work well for you for many years yet to come.
Thank you. I was begining to think that it was an Easy-lift as the only info I had was from the PO who never had used it. It has the 'balls' for 2 sway bars. I added the one because an Airstream friend that was following told me that my tandem axle Trade Wind had a 'wiggle' on the road we were traveling ven though the long wheel base Buick did not register any towing wiggle. Hopefully, I won't need 2 sway bars.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid