Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
@mefly2...it's a Jeep Grand Cherokee, rated for max 5000 lbs. The one thing I do know to address when having the hitch installed is a transmission cooler. Any other words of wisdom or suggestions?

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Newbie towing question

Greetings lonewolf1977!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf1977 View Post
@mefly2...it's a Jeep Grand Cherokee, rated for max 5000 lbs. The one thing I do know to address when having the hitch installed is a transmission cooler. Any other words of wisdom or suggestions?
In addition to the auxilliary transmission cooler, you will also want an electronic trailer brake controller as well. There are multiple possibilities out there, but many like the Tekonsha Prodigy or its most recent variant. In all probability, you will need trailer towing mirrors for your Jeep . . . my suggestion would be McKesh, but there are many possibilities there as well.

Good luck with your tow vehicle setup and search!

Kevin

P.S.: I am attaching a pdf file of Airstream trailer weights and measures that may help you or the original author of this thread. The weights specified are empty weights that do not include options, accessories, fluids, or LP gas.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream weights and measures.pdf (100.1 KB, 43 views)
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Thanks Kevin....I do have that list printed out. In fact, I reference it every time I see one that I like for sale. In fact, it's helped me figure out my max towing & length.

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskinner View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I certainly agree that for the same price we could get a roomier SOB and without having to tow it would seem to make sense, but, as I'm sure many on this forum can appreciate...then it wouldn't be an Airstream! We're more than willing to trade a little headroom for the timeless style.
Great to hear that! I was testing you to see if you really had aluminum in your veins.

And it appears that you do. Congratulations!

So we are counting on you now to become a full-fledged AS fanatic, and do what you can to not let it grow roots. They need to travel, so throw off your chains and hit that road!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Quantico , Virginia
Best bet is to simply get it weighed before buying it. Most weights reflect what it weighed when it rolled off the Airstream line in 19XX. Adding fridges, a/c, heaters, etc all adds up not to mention the road grit and rocks that collect above the belly skin.
steveirving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
How far do you have to tow it? Will you tow it up any huge mountains? How often will it be towed.

If you answer: less than 50 miles, no, twice a year. Just use the Ridgeline as is.

I had a 2005 Ridgeline. I loved it for lite-duty work and very minimal heavier duty.

I was in shock when I bought a new truck and it did not have that really cool trunk in the bed with that really cool tailgate.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveirving View Post
Best bet is to simply get it weighed before buying it. Most weights reflect what it weighed when it rolled off the Airstream line in 19XX. Adding fridges, a/c, heaters, etc all adds up not to mention the road grit and rocks that collect above the belly skin.
You forgot the water and pest mess in the fiberglass.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Toronto , Ontario
I contacted CanAmRV in London ON (thanks for the lead) they were 100% confidant the Ridgeline could be set up
nskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Toronto , Ontario
Continued....

That the ridge line could be set up to tow the trailers we're looking at. They've done lots of these so I'm sure they know. We're going to look this week at a 1979 31' sovereign. It's a little more $$ than we were initially planning on but looks to be in much much better shape than others we've seen. Likely worth the extra cash initially I'm hoping.
nskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

If you are only going to tow it to your "forever" parking spot, why worry about your tow vehicle? If you wind up buying a TT (travel trailer) bigger than what you could tow, or if your new-to-you trailer has no hitch, pay someone else to tow it home.

And, IMHO, Airstreams are really only the right trailer for you if you are actually going to travel a lot. A "SOB" (Some Other Brand) will be cheaper for a comparable size and condition, and considerably roomier inside. Square corners are a "drag" (literally) if you are towing, but they mean more headroom and storage space when you are parked.

Walk around in two or more trailers that are the same investment to you, and see if I am right. I think you'll find that, unless you are regularly sailing down the road, the SOB is a better abode...
You are, of course, spot on in terms of the required TV, and the relative cost and inside space of an SOB. But could you really live with the overstuffed upholstery and oak veneer (or Formica) surfaces? I've seen dozens of SOBs and never felt comfortable in any of them. My wife is an interior designer, so our Airstream was not a difficult sale. The SOBs made us really feel like trailer trash. We don't spend a lot of time inside our trailer, at least when we are awake, but we never get tired of looking at it when we do. We also appreciate that it is designed to be a travel trailer, and not a home.

If all you need is a stationary box to live in, why not get a single wide mobile home and be done with it? It would be cheaper than an Airstream, designed especially for the task at hand, and you could decorate it the way you like. It will not be as classy, but will win the cost per square foot battle. As for me, I'll keep my AS.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote