Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2022, 09:04 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
Diamondback , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbburke View Post
Until 1969 Airstream used a 2" coupler. From that time forward their coupler is for a 2 5/16" ball.
So, unless the coupler has been replaced it will be for a 2" ball.

thanks, I was wondering that since the seller said 2", and they are driving it all the way from Wyoming ! I figured if they could get it to me with no problems, I'll be fine. luckily they are getting a sway controller installed so that should help.
u_lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:20 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
Diamondback , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowbridge View Post
Have your brake pads and rotors checked before towing the trailer. That's a quick fix and you need to know.

Lacking brakes on the trailer is a problem. You will need to drive carefully and more slowly getting home, especially with a 1/2 ton truck. Leave plenty of distance between you and vehicles ahead. Also, consider driving at low traffic times of day.

Also, per an above post, the tires should not be much more than 6 years old. Even if the trailer tires were mounted brand new and still have nubs on full depth treads, rubber ages and will crack under load. Don't do it.

A 1967 trailer will probably have worn out axles. Airstreams use a rubber torsion axle which becomes like petrified wood over extended time. You can tow it, but you won't have any suspension travel. That will cause the trailer to sway much more and follow ridges in the highway.

We towed our 1964 Sovereign 30' home from Southern California to Northern California after buying it. Even with a 3/4 ton truck and (too) many years of towing experience, I was on the edge of my seat above 55 mph going up and over a steep section of highway known as the 'Grapevine' with many fast moving semis passing us. When we later had our axles replaced with new ones, no more problem. Our truck now easily pulls our trailer smoothly and easily >65 on smooth roads. We do not use an equalizer anti-sway hitch at all...but a 3/4 ton truck is more stable than a 1/2 ton truck.

Just be careful getting the trailer home. Then make the trailer safer as you modify it during your renovation project.

Finally, your title is "Newbie Towing...". If you do have towing experience with other types of trailers and this is just your first time towing an Airstream, ignore my comment here. But if you really are brand-new to towing trailers - - get someone with trailering experience to drive the truck and trailer for you. Trailering takes some learning, and pulling an older 28' trailer without brakes or suspension travel in a lighter truck is not how to learn.

I am getting my truck brakes and rotors checked as well as installing a brake controller. the seller claims the trailer brakes work and just put all new tires on it. they are driving it 700 miles to get it to me, so we will see how that goes. Thanks for pointing out the axles, I will have them looked at once we get it here, because I would like to be able to take it cross country some day. I have only pulled small cargo trailers, so I might be in for a lesson, but have to start somewhere... slow and steady.
Old 04-10-2022, 01:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbburke View Post
Until 1969 Airstream used a 2" coupler. From that time forward their coupler is for a 2 5/16" ball.
So, unless the coupler has been replaced it will be for a 2" ball.

Thanks for pointing this out. The coupler looks exactly like the ones used on later models, so I expected it to be the larger size.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
Do you have any experience with rebuilding Airstreams? I ask because I refurbished my 1962 Safari a few years ago and here is what I had to do. First the subfloor had to be replaced which requires the removal of all interior components including the furnace, water heater, plumbing etc., and interior skins. Beneath the subfloor and resting on the bottom aluminum outer skin, or belly skin, was deteriorated insulation, straw brought in by various creatures and their remains. It all needed to be removed, and repairs had to be made to the frame and outriggers. The wall insulation was decomposed and had mouse tunnels throughout, along with the mouse mummies. Some exterior marker lights were missing, when I removed the end caps I found birds nests. While everything was open I replaced all the electrical wireing, and insulation. I was lucky that most of the aluminum was in good shape and could be reused. Then I started to rebuild the interior.

I tell you this so that you are aware of what you may be getting yourself into, in both labor and expense. Perhaps your trailer is in better condition than mine but you may not know until you get into it. If you can do all the labor great, if not plan on additional cost. If I remember correctly axles are about $650 each plus installation.

The adventure can be both challenging and rewarding.
Good luck
Jimroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:00 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
Williston , Vermont
About a year and a half ago, I purchased my '62 Ambassador. I had to tow it about 300 miles and was using a 2018 F150 with a factory towing package. I had no problems.

It is 2" ball. I did not bother to connect the load bars. I replaced the four tires with two new tires off of my other trailer and two newish wheel/tires that I use for spares. RV mirrors aren't really needed as the old trailers allow you to look right through the front and back windows and you know what's behind you.

Towed fine, but the hard axles really shook up the insides. It was a mess when we arrived as all the drawers had emptied out. The interior was junk anyway.

With old trailers, you won't really know what you are getting until you tear into it. My first trailer came with a "new" floor. We figured we would have to rebuild some of the furniture and install screens. What I discovered is that new floor actually covered 50 years of mouse condo's and a buckled frame. After a new frame and running gear, its great. The ambassador wasn't that bad but I did have to replace the first 6' of frame because of hidden rust. I was just happy it made the first trip home without the coupler breaking off. It's now got new coupler, axles and repaired frame and I would tow it anywhere.

If you are handy and enjoy working with you hands, Airstream restoration is a lot of fun and you get entry into a great community as a bonus. Best of luck - Mark
Old 04-14-2022, 01:09 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
Diamondback , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimroll View Post
Do you have any experience with rebuilding Airstreams?

I don't! but I've worked on home/apt remodels off and on for years, along with various sculpture projects, and have collected a good amount of tools to put to use. I am excited to find out, it might be a similar situation!
Old 04-14-2022, 01:14 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
Diamondback , New Mexico
For anyone curiously still following the thread, we picked up the trailer and made it fine! Have a sway control/wd hitch, brake controller, and it wasn't bad. Yikes, now we have a project on our hands..
Old 04-14-2022, 01:17 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
Diamondback , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinVT View Post
RV mirrors aren't really needed as the old trailers allow you to look right through the front and back windows and you know what's behind you.

Towed fine, but the hard axles really shook up the insides. It was a mess when we arrived as all the drawers had emptied out. The interior was junk anyway.

Thanks, and yes, the same for us! Most of the interior is mostly junk too, but original junk which we may mend/repurpose in a different way, not sure yet!
Old 04-15-2022, 04:39 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
Williston , Vermont
Congratulations, you are in the beginning of quite a journey. It can be very frustrating at times but also very rewarding. I would suggest you start a new thread in the Ambassador section of this forum. Then post a link in this thread.

This will serve two functions, first it will provide you access to a wealth of experience and encouragement as experienced restorers "lend a hand". Second, it documents exactly what you have done when it comes time to have it appraised. I know it was invaluable to me. Have fun - Mark
Old 04-15-2022, 07:06 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
u_lima, glad you made it back without issue. If y’all go thru with renovating, don’t throw anything away until you’re finished. Things can be cleaned up or used as patterns. The older Airstreams weren’t as complex as the more modern ones. Having been in construction, you shouldn’t have any trouble renovating. Just takes time and a lot of fun work. As mentioned, start a renovation thread and post pictures of your progress. Good luck and have fun.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:19 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by u_lima View Post
I don't! but I've worked on home/apt remodels off and on for years, along with various sculpture projects, and have collected a good amount of tools to put to use. I am excited to find out, it might be a similar situation!
Sounds like you should have no problem. I had to buy many of the tools you probably already have. Enjoy the journey.
Jimroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:01 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
Diamondback , New Mexico
The documentation thread is a great idea, I will try and put something together once we start taking it apart