Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
newbie tow question

I have a F-250 4x4 diesel truck and a 1979 31' Sovereign. Will my truck efficiency pull my trailer? I know it sounds dumb, but I know my trailer dry is 4810. I don't have hardly anything in it, because I am going to be towing it home to California. Any help would be nice I'm just a newbie girl lol

1979 Sovereign International (Olivia)
1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
BLOG: https://grapesbigadventure.wordpress.com.
Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Your F-250 will have no problems pulling a 31'
I would make sure you have weight distribution and sway control with your setup.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Brakes: Good chance your '79 will have vacuum disc brakes. Your diesel F-250 probably won't have much of a vacuum port. You'll have to set up a brake controller and a vacuum pump as a minimum, or be learning about a hydraulic brake actuator that probably runs on 30 amp and usually needs a thicker, 10 gauge wire than most umbilicals have. Lots of information on this site to start with, then call an airstream expert on here. Don't go to a local "performance RV" or something, they probably won't understand what you have and want to rip out your premium disc brakes.
Don't give up, but read up and prepare.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
I would make sure you have weight distribution and sway control with your setup.
Yes Cass but realize the huge advantage in having your connection set up optimally. 85% of the rigs on the roads today are not and diminished safety/ performance is the result.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post

Yes Cass but realize the huge advantage in having your connection set up optimally. 85% of the rigs on the roads today are not and diminished safety/ performance is the result.
Agreed!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Just wanted to chime in on the proper set up for towing. The 85 per cent estimate might be even a little low. Many times if you have someone else set it up they put what they have that will work, not what would make the optimal set up. Read on here, ask questions and become a knowledgeable owner, and then make a decision as to what is best for your combination. There is a lot on the forum and many who are willing and able to provide good information.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Ann Arbor , Michigan
The best answers, in my opinion, to this question are the ones suggesting you read a lot, think, ask questions, take your time, be safe, and have fun!

Both the truck and the trailer are great starting points. A lot of what you'll want to focus on is safety related - brakes, tires, hitch and suspension for both the tow vehicle and the trailer. Read a bunch of the recent threads about tow vehicles, and you'll start getting an idea of many of the common issues you'll face.
powool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
1992 34' Excella
. , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by powool View Post
The best answers, in my opinion, to this question are the ones suggesting you read a lot, think, ask questions, take your time, be safe, and have fun!

Both the truck and the trailer are great starting points. A lot of what you'll want to focus on is safety related - brakes, tires, hitch and suspension for both the tow vehicle and the trailer. Read a bunch of the recent threads about tow vehicles, and you'll start getting an idea of many of the common issues you'll face.
I agree. That is what I did. Although it took awhile to read and research the many different posts and opinions, it makes up for the fact that when I am out on the road, my TV/Trailer setup is as safe and efficient.
Jared129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you have disc brakes from that era, the design of the brakes and the actuator on the tongue of the trailer are junk. Repair parts are near impossible to get as well as anyone who knows enough about them to fix them correctly. Most of the people with these brakes have replaced them as I did 10 years ago after some bad experiences. The caliper holders have a design defect which causes them to have sudden catastrophic failures, even under normal conditions. The vacuum actuated system does not work well on a diesel. I went to electrics and have put 30,000 miles on my 77 without a further problem. If you want to spend a lot of money, you can buy an all new disc brake system that will fit on the same mounting holes in the axles as the old caliper holders.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote