Old 04-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Newbie Question - Pull out without tension bars?

Had to park with tight angle to get in campsight. Worried I will not be able to get Equalizer bars back on at this angle when leave in couple of hours. Can I just pull out without tension bars long enough to straighten trailer making it easier to get bars on? Will this mess anything up?
Ok to smile or laugh at this question, but then send the helpful comment!

Wgsouth

Wgsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Yes you can.

YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
I have added air suspension bags in the rear coil springs to raise the rear of the TV in this situation to make sure I don't drag the foot of the tongue jack. Of course, the air bags are not suitable for weight distribution, but in a park setting moving at slow speed WD is not an issue to be concerned with vs. clearance requirements.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Yes, you can. This happened to us last year at a campsite where the trailer was on flat ground, but the tow vehicle was at a fairly steep uphill incline. Unhitching was no problem, but when it came time to leave, we were unable to get the hitch onto the ball because the tongue weight of the trailer was forcing the tow vehicle down at an odd angle.
Finally, my wife came up with the idea of putting blocks under the hitch ball, thus keeping the truck from squatting when tongue weight was placed onto the ball. We were able to pull the trailer a few feet to level ground, then place the bars.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Absolutely! No need to kill yourselves trying to get the bars back on. Get out to the parking lot, away from traffic and everyone’s way and take your time. Doing it on straight, level ground makes things much easier.
I always take one last walk around the rig as soon as I get to a place where there is room. Check all doors and lock again, take another look at the hitch again, look under the rig again. So far I have never had a problem but triple checking isn’t going to hurt especially when you are new.
btw, not a dumb question.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Sure.
Just be aware that you could drag the sagging hard parts.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, pull it straight and then hook up the bars.

And sometimes I take the bars off before backing into a uphill space.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Thanks to all! Good info. Was actually able to install bars with no issue. Back with more questions soon!
Wgsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I know you have received all positive responses and mine is the same. I back my 28' Serenity into a long winding downhill sloped driveway to her parking pad. it is really a challenge to get my bars on because the TV is on an uphill slope so I don't put them on until I am on the street nice and level. It really makes it a snap. The only thing is I take it nice and slow to ensure there is no contact with the driveway when I am parking or pulling out.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
tarzana , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgsouth View Post
Had to park with tight angle to get in campsight. Worried I will not be able to get Equalizer bars back on at this angle when leave in couple of hours. Can I just pull out without tension bars long enough to straighten trailer making it easier to get bars on? Will this mess anything up?

Wgsouth
Great question, and I have had the same experience.

Yes, just pull forward, then stop and put them in place. Remember to raise the height of the trailer so their easy to put on. Also, mine were tough to move around. Another camper (Thank you Mayor) took some pressure of the large bolt underneath, and it works great. Good luck.
frank nordyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgsouth View Post

Wgsouth
No laughing here. You're not going to know unless you ask! You'll be just fine. You could pull it a long way before any damage occurs.

Enjoy
MC
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Yep do it all the time... the eq bars are their for use on the road and sway control... so short trips even without them are ok... and always take them off before you go backing into a tight spot... matter of fact I take mine off once I get to the park... so they don't make the popping and grinding sound.. to others...

That being said.. it also depend on how much weight your transfering... etc... so you don't want the TV to be dragging the ground in back when you moving around...

Most of the PUs TV only drop about a inch or two anyway.. and I have found that if I am going 50 miles down the road.. may not put the eq bars on... again it depends on wind/weather/traffic... as mine also is part of the sway control... so that being said.. leaves the trailer to sway'n without them...

Won't hurt a thing... otherwise... at night is the only other issue.. as the TV headlights will be pointing up the road further.. thinking that the hi beam is on... to other drives if you don't have the Eq bars hooked up...

No other issues... good to go...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your AS with EQ bars unhooked when needed ...

mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote