Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2003, 07:05 AM   #21
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Roger,

Broke down in and near Las Vegas TWICE in my 1992 Dodge B350 Maxiwagon. How many do you think they made? Right - many thousands. A very common US workhorse type vehicle.
Las Vegas is a bustling metropolis of business and has a great economy.
Once my fuel injection went out, another time my EGR melted.
The fuel injector took 3 days to get.
The EGR assembly took 2 days to get.
total of 5 days hotel, and I don't even like gambling. Both are common parts, according to the 3 local Dodge dealers, but they don't stock them.
So, what i am saying is that the parts ( quality OEM parts, that is) availability for domestic cars is as spotty as it is for imports. Perhaps a waterpump for a GM is easier to get than that for a Touareg, but honestly, I have not had one fail in any of my 4 vehicles in a good 10 years.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:39 AM   #22
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by uwe
Roger,
So, what i am saying is that the parts ( quality OEM parts, that is) availability for domestic cars is as spotty as it is for imports. Perhaps a waterpump for a GM is easier to get than that for a Touareg, but honestly, I have not had one fail in any of my 4 vehicles in a good 10 years.
And we service our vehicles regularly, and hope that it never happens, but... you COULD find someone with Dodge experience to replace those parts, and they DID stock the common repair/replacement parts; brakes, brakelines, wheelbearings etc. There is no doubt that in a major metro area, you'll be able to find someone with HYUNDAI and probably even YUGO experience if you need it. Obviously there are some parts for any make/model of vehicle that you'll have to get from warehouse distribution or even the factory, but the parts that commonly fail are more readily available for domestics just because there are so many more of them around. What are the odds of finding someone in rural Nebraska, or North Dakota with Volkswagen experience? I think there are less than a half-dozen Volkswagen dealerships in the entire state of Iowa. It's a problem if you break down in between them.

Roger
85MH325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 07:40 AM   #23
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Owner of broken down vehicle in a parts store in Podunk, ND: "I need a water pump for a Toyota".

Counter man: "A toy what?"
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 07:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Roger,

My wife broke her back in an equestrian accident about 6 years ago (no neurological damage thankfully). The basis for selection of our current Land Rover Discovery was because of seats - specifically for support and comfort. Having lived within 20 miles of a LR dealer during the last 6 years (we've now owned three LR's), service was not a problem. In fact, LR service is legendary (they have come to my house and exchanged my car with a loaner for an oil change, for instance). But, alas, we are seeking something with a bit more dealer base so we can tow and travel for the reasons you mention. LR always falls near the bottom of service polls. But, they have a very high level of repeat buyers. I asked the local LR dealer how they would service me in a breakdown if I were, say, 200 miles away and they told they would come and get the car and leave me a loaner and return mine when fixed. That is service.

Just as I would never own a diesel for the aforementioned reasons (prior posts), safety and comfort are as important as anything. Sorry to say that most of the American vehicles continue to be cheap and uncomfortable. This coming from a person who worked for one of the Big 3 for years and loved the affiliation.

UWE is correct in his post. There are no guarantees. But it seems that the more you pay the better service you can expect... I promise you that Mercedes would not leave you stranded anywhere (do they make a tow vehicle?)... LOL.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 07:55 AM   #25
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by 67caravel
Roger,

UWE is correct in his post. There are no guarantees. But it seems that the more you pay the better service you can expect... I promise you that Mercedes would not leave you stranded anywhere (do they make a tow vehicle?)... LOL.
I agree, and if you're always towing within 200 miles of your dealer, then it's no big deal. It's when you take off for the summer for parts unknown that you're gambling.

Mercedes makes their G-wagens that have something like 5 or 6k of towing capacity. Good luck there! My wife has similar back AND hip issues. We bought an Excursion LTD, and I'm pleased to report that I have found the fit, finish, ride, comfort level and overall quality are every bit up to par with the the imports. Further, there is a difference between a tow car that is built and CAN tow X amount of lbs versus a vehicle that was built TO tow X amount of lbs.

And I'll grant you that LR is one of the best-built 4x4s. But they were built to be a 4x4, not a heavy-duty tow vehicle; particularly the RR & Discos. With the Defenders, you can get the Salisbury axles and some upgrades that make them more competent haulers. The lady who bought my Bambi drove her Disco out from Seattle, and I did the hitch setup for her. Nice ride.

<OK... .... soapbox off>

Roger
Old 08-15-2003, 08:06 AM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, not to start the big three discussions, but as far as I know all the GM parts I've needed local or remotely for my my Chevys or Oldsmobeaters have always been readily availible. Of course, with anything, I'd expect in rural USA a bit harder time....anything can happen.

My exp has been however, buying a car/truck that has been around for many years (Silverado, Caprice, F-150, RAM, etc) you find that most parts are interchangeable withing the lines (cost savings to the manufac) the less hassle you will have getting the needed parts.

For example. I have a 1980 Old and 2 1996 Impala SSs. The cars basically are the same (minus a number of things). They have been selling B Body cars like this for over 20 years (stopping in 1996). Parts are everywhere since besides we civillians, police and taxis used may thousand of these vehicles over a 20 year period. There are more 3rd party vendors as well as genuine GM parts as well.

I am positive there are similar stories in the Ford and Dodge camps.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 08:15 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Diesels are not the same noisy, smelly beasts that they were 5 or more years ago. The Duramax and Powerstroke are very good. The Cummins is a very good engine, but very noisy. Diesel gets better gas mileage and has fewer issues. Our family has owned 3 diesels (Mercedes granted) and each has lasted well over 200k miles. Our 1982 300DT-- in line 5 turbo is still humming along happily.

I hear you on the quality issues about the domestics.

BTW, the oil filters I was talking about earlier were for the Benz. $15 a filter. Not like any filter I have ever seen. Dad takes it up to the UP often. If and when he runs into trouble or needs stuff, he has to get it from Green Bay, WI which is about 100 miles away (one way) from him. I would assume VW, Audi, Toyota, Honda (non domestics) have somewhat similar issues.

I by no means say that they VW or others are not good vehicles, they are and everyone has opinions and due to inflation, my .02 costs $1.50 so pay up all!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 09:00 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Does the Touareg have some sort of self leveling suspension? If so, that would explain why they would not recommend a weight distributing hitch - they would be fighting each other.

On the relative costs of ownership, I have owned several VWs and VW products over the years and have always found them to be very expensive to own. In fact, my wife now drives a Mercedes because, except for the initial price, the cost of ownership is no more (and probably less) than any VW I have owned. Of course, I am a statistical sample of one.

My daughter has a Jetta diesel, and loves it.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 09:02 AM   #29
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
MY experiencece with parts availability, parts quality etc. has always been a favorable one with the imports, and was often very disappointing when it came to the domestics.
But i do not live in rural Nebraska, rather in LA Metro area......
I find as many redicoulously priced parts for my Dodge, and formerly for my Ford Cargo van, as I do for our other cars. ( Mercedes Benz).
The difference is, my MB's were never on the tow truck, not in Oklahoma, New Mexico or anywhere. It's been my experience that the US Iron often needs help, both minor AND major stuff. I leave town in the Ford or Dodge, and always take a few extra credit cards.
I take the MB wagon, and feel much more secure with my family. I know - it can't tow anything. Luckily I never did break down while towing.
All I am suggesting is that there is no or little need to consider parts problems with a Touareg. Chances are you won't need any real soon. Besides, people living real far froma VW dealer won't probably buy one anyways.
It shares many items with the Porsche Cayenne, by the way.
And VW does have extensive towing experience. New Europe was built with VW and Mercedes professional trucks. I have owned and operated vehicles from both sides of the current towing philosophy on this forum, and am NOT convinced that the " American Iron" approach is better than the " engineered" one. As you can see from my other thread, I am currently looking for an alternative to the Dodge for towing. I have already tried a few of the less popular options and was pleasantly surprised. Most likely I will end up with a Suburban or full size van, because they're cheap to buy used, and i don't want to tie up too much in a truck I really don't want to use every day.
It will definitely not be a Touareg, though, those are out of my budget.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:24 PM   #30
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Well, maybe ...

Quote:
I have owned and operated vehicles from both sides of the current towing philosophy on this forum, and am NOT convinced that the " American Iron" approach is better than the " engineered" one.
I guess every manufacturer has an occasional lemon, but my Mercedes was the only vehicle that I have ever had to have towed and had the worst repair record of any vehicle I have owned since my '73 Blazer.

My last 4 "American Iron" vehicles have never needed to go back to the dealer for warrenty service. My Mercedes took 4 trips to the dealer just to get the air conditioning working. Over the ten years I owned the Mercedes, just about everything you could name went bad. The paint disintegrated. The dashboard split (replaced under warrenty). Both rear window regulators broke. The electric window switches failed. The speedometer failed. The sunroof clutch failed. Brakes had a pityful short life. etc. etc. The only thing I could give Mercedes an "A" on is the interior; carpet and seats. The Mercedes automatic transmission was atrocious.

My Silverado has been flawless and the Buick nearly so. My current "unengineered" Buick has 40k miles and the Silverado has 28k miles, almost all towing. The worst failure on either vehicle to date is that the glove box hinge on the Buick broke. Except for tires on the Buick, there has been no expense for either vehicle beyond normal maintenance.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 12:41 PM   #31
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
John,
As i stated, it's my and my family's experience, and probably not the norm. we just happen to spend severely more money on repairs on the US made vehicles. My records show more money spent on my Dodge van, then on the 3 mercedes together over the last year. This is despite the fact that the Dodge gets driven the least amount of miles.
My son has a 1/2 ton 1998 Chevrolet pickup, with a 5.0 I believe. He bought it when it was one year old and has put tons of money in it. Trans, Axle overhaul, A/C, and more.
I just don't think that our American vehicles are more reliable than others. Between our 4 immediate families, definitely more of our cash goes to the domestic dealers. Remember, I am referring to unscheduled repairs and maintenance items only.
The term " unengineered" was not aimed at YOUR new Buick, but rather at MY current and past vans and SUV's.
And, I am not entirely ungreatful to my Dodge, because in all it's crude glory, it did carry me and my stuff for many miles now ( almost230K), all over the country.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:12 PM   #32
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by uwe
My records show more money spent on my Dodge van, then on the 3 mercedes together over the last year. This is despite the fact that the Dodge gets driven the least amount of miles.

And, I am not entirely ungreatful to my Dodge, because in all it's crude glory, it did carry me and my stuff for many miles now ( almost230K), all over the country.
I'd expect, that with over 200k on your Dodge that you probably will be spending a fairly high dollar amount on repairs. I don't think that would be unexpected at all What you didn't include in this post was whether your three Mercedes also have 230k miles each, so we don't know what to anticipate for them for maintenance. I'd expect that a Mercedes with 230k would also be facing some significant expenses for repairs.

Actually, my point wasn't that there's anything more or less reliable about the VW vs anything else; it's that the dealer, mechanic & parts network in MOST of the U.S. is about domestics. I'm not willing to risk the (relatively) scarce parts availability and lack of support for imports that you find throughout much of the country for my tow car.

Roger
Old 08-15-2003, 01:30 PM   #33
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Roger,
Agreed on your point of view.
There are definitely more domestic dealers athan there will ever be for VW.
And better parts availability etc.
I have a 300TE with over 200k miles on it. It's been very good to us, considering the beating it gets every day.
The second one is a 1973 220D. It also gets used extremely hard, and put away wet very often. i have no clue how many miles it has, since the odometer only shows 5 digits. i turned it over once myself, at least.
I am guessing it to be aroun 300k by now.
The third one is a 1959 Mercedes sedan. This one we should not count into the equation since i only use it once a week or so for fun.
The mileages of my imports vs. the domestics are pretty closely matched, I suppose.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:27 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
The thread's diverged pretty far from the original subject...namely, the VW Touareg.

I test drove a V8 and talked with our local dealer as I'm interested in one primarily as a commuter and secondarily as a future tow vehicle. My impression is that this is a wonderful vehicle to drive. Beautiful fit and finish--on a par with Mercedes in feel of quality. On a par with the BMW X5 4.4i in terms of handling. Acceleration with the VW is not as impressive as the BMW. However, the brakes on the VW are oustanding! The suspension is taught, but not quite as firm/busy as the BMW. It turns on a dime and gives about 7 cents change!

Would it pull an Airstream well? That's another story. I think I'd look at it to tow up to 5000# on flat terrain. Mountains, with the current V8, I'd take that down another 1000# or so if you want to run with traffic up mountain passes. It just doesn't seem to have the guts that I have with my PSD. Of course, there's about 4000# less tow vehicle weight, too! Don't discount the fact that there's a five-speed tranny in there AND you have a LOW range that's usable for towing on pavement (e.g., getting started up a really steep hill). The transmission is not equiped with a tow/haul mode, but is adaptive, and you can manually adjust your gear setting ala "tiptronic". My money is waiting on the V10 twin turbo diesel engine to hit our shores in 2004. With 310hp and 550ft-lb torque (at 2000 rpm) it would make nice work of yanking a 7000# Airstream.

The hitch is an after-production, dealer installed accessory. It is similar in overall concept of installation and pricing to that used for the BMW X5--which I've also investigated. The entire back end of the vehicle must be taken down in order to do the install. Eventually, the receiver is welded to the body/frame attachement points for the rear axle. There is a new bumper fascia installed when it's all said and done, too. My dealer has not put one on yet! I would not want my $41,000 vehicle to be their learning curve!

The hitch is around $695 and it takes about 4 hours labor (@$70/hr) to install. Our V-dub dealer said there are only about 260 hitches in the country at this time. Total bill for install would come close to $975. That's just the hitch. They did not know specifically how the brake controller would be wired in.

The specs on VW hitch (from the dealer) are max. tounge weight 700# and max tow weight 7716#.

The air suspension can be "locked out" and that sounds good to me for towing with a weight distributing hitch.

I hope this was some meaningful info for someone. Let's say, for now, I'm still sticking with American iron, but this vehicle's a temptation! Not helped by the fact they have a nice big picture of one pulling an Airstream in the brochure!
Attached Images

WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 12:01 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Touareg and Airstream

DWELL magazine has a four page ad for the Touareg pulling an Airstream. The first two pages show a VW Beetle and the results of hitching an Airstream to it. Turn the page and it shows the Touareg with the same Airstream with everything hunky dory.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 05:03 PM   #36
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Thumbs down Touareg NOT for Airstreams!!!!

Found this from another forum... thought I ought to share it with everyone... Here's a MUST-SEE video from CBS Channel 2 in New York City regarding those cute, but misleading ads from VW on the Touareg towing the Airstream...

http://wcbs.dayport.com/viewer/viewe...cbsviewer2.tpl

Sorry everyone who is seriously considering this new VW... know what your weights are!!!

Roger
Old 11-04-2003, 12:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
VW Touareg/Airstream Farce

http://www.cbsnewyork.com/shamestori...303155456.html

Some of the Airstream owner's (bluvalley) posts:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1017880

and others:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1077613

These courtesy of SuburbanBoy and DaveH on the Classic Boston Whaler Forum.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:18 PM   #38
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
>The V6 has some space for it, but the V8, is it tight on space!

Cost for a loaded unit is approx $48k.

Eric<

FORTY EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A VOLKSWAGEN????
Holy Underwear, Batman!!!!

Terry
Old 11-16-2003, 07:18 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
What is the real story?!

I need to get a new second vehicle. I won't do any long towing, leaving that to the Yukon, but occasionally to pick up the A/S after work to get ready for a trip. I stopped by the local VW dealer to see what the newly revised towing specs are after the admission that it will not handle 7K pounds.

Five sales people at two dealers, including managers, INSISTED, that the T-reg will easily handle 7K and an 880 pound tongue weight.

Be careful...these peole have no idea what they are talking about at these VW dealerships. They are totally unfamiliar with towing issues and the dynamics of a large trailer behind vehicle.

Nothing against the T-reg...it looks like a great vehicle, but beware the claims of the sales people at places like this, BMW, Mercedes, etc. The claims are too extreme to be safely relied upon.
Jace
Old 11-16-2003, 12:32 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Sad to say

but it seems to be true. Autoweek magazine reported that VW is buying back Touregs and pulling the ads as well.
Sigh....I was looking forward to getting one used in a few years, but I still may be o.k., I just need to weigh my trailer.

I believe the tongue wt. max listed by Autoweek is 660#'s.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote