Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Garibaldi Highlands , British Columbia
New trailer brake install, trailer plug into the back and not working... :-/

I just changed car and bought one that have the factory hitch install and the plug in the back as well for electricity. The previous owner was pulling small trailer with it.

I had transfer from my old car to this one a trailer break and install by Volkswagen this week. I came back home, and plug my Airstream into it and make some test, turn on my lights and it doesn't seem to work.

What I'm getting is the lights on the back of my Airstream flashing very quick and a bip bip noise coming from the side of the trailer near the wheels.

Obviously my trailer doesn't like that! is it possible that it could just be the software of my car? I use to pull my trailer with a newer car with no problem.

What kind of lights are on a 2010 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 foot? I'm wondering if it's more than 500 watts or if it's LED, because the guyy from Volkswagen said the trailer brake wont work if the light are not under 500 watts...

Also I hope its not to dangerous to drive on the highway without signal, as i'm leaving tomorrow and the car is already hooked up! :-/
Melimelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

The noise by the wheels may be the brake magnets activating. I would carefully check all the connections on the umbilical cord plug. The trailer brake lights are on a separate circuit from the trailer brakes, see diagram.
What model VW?
There is some speciality wiring thats needed for some of the German cars.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faq043_mm_500.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	199271  
Old 11-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
The noise by the wheels may be the brake magnets activating. I would carefully check all the connections on the umbilical cord plug. The trailer brake lights are on a separate circuit from the trailer brakes, see diagram.
What model VW?
There is some speciality wiring thats needed for some of the German cars.

Bob
Thanks Robert for the diagram!

When you say to check the connections, you mean, to make sure it's clean?

So that mean my trailer might still work?

If I can't have the lights to work, I hope I can still take the road and just drive carefully, maybe I should take it to a car dealer or something?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Maybe my connector is done, it's been outside all summer, I'm wondering if the rain could have cause that...
Old 11-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The male and female ends of the plug is always a good place to start when trying to diagnose wiring problems. Check the contacts for corrosion, and make sure each contact is working the proper function. Sometimes the colors won't match but the positions on the plug will remain the same. If you have a 12v test light you can test each contact on the tow vehicle plug to make sure it's working properly.

Just noticed I used the six pin plug in the first post, I believe you have a seven pin....ooop's.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faq043_ss_500.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	199275  
Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New trailer brake install, trailer plug into the back and not working... :-/

Greetings Melimelo!

I believe that your 2010 Flying Cloud has LED tail lights and clearance lights. It is my understanding that both Volkswagen and Mercedes Benz require an adapter in the wiring to permit the LEDs to be compatible with the tow vehicle's electronics. The pulsing of the Flying Cloud's electric brakes, however, shouldn't be impacted by the comparability issue so that would concern me in regard to corrosion in one or both connectors (I had this problem on an annual basis with the blade type connectors, but haven't had it since switching to heavy-duty round pin connectors).

I suspect that you will need a control box in your Volkswagen's trailer wiring that will permit it to communicate properly with your Airstream. You may have to try more than one VW dealer to find a parts person who is familiar with the trailer towing accessories and will be able to access the needed part. There is a thread here on the Forums where one VW owner purchased the part that Mercedes utilizes for its vehicles utilized to tow trailers with LED lighting and it worked with their VW . . . I can't remember the thread title or who the VW owner was in that instance.

Good luck with your new tow vehicle!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote