Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
If a little is good, more is better, & too much is just right

ANY late model F-150 will tow a 22 - 25 ft AS. If revs are your issue just get a properly equipped 6.7 Ford or Cummings diesel and you can pull up and descend at about 1800 to 2500 rpm pulling your trailer and 4 more attached behind it. DONT decide on advertised sales brochures. DO download the manufacturer's Towing Guide and check vehicle equipment options (engine, body style, rear axle ratios etc), vs your towing requirements. Towing capabilities, carrying capacity, combined weight ratings etc vary widely among vehicles within the same family of vehicles, ie F150, 1500, Cherokee, yada yada yada. Happy and safe hauling to ya!
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I think the Gladiator would be a good match to the Sport 22, it is just that you will likely have to use a greater portion of the full rpm band, and that may be what you don't like about your current V8.
Agreed.

While I really enjoy towing with a car, the Gladiator appeals to me. (I liked the last Jeep pickups too.) So I had a look at the specifications. The 3.6 Pentastar is a known quantity - 260 lbs ft at 4400 rpm. The best tow rating comes with the Sport package, 4.1:1 final drive, and the 8 speed automatic. I expect that this is the 8HP70 unit.

Using gear ratios I found online, I expect that a Gladiator towing an Airstream would accelerate and climb very well. The downside - there may not be enough power left over in 7th gear at 65 mph (2500 rpm) to pull even moderate grades, so you may end up spending a lot of time in 6th at 3000 rpm (where it would pull very well). This is based on the assumption that the relatively high and square truck body will create noticeably more drag than a car or SUV in concert with the Airstream.

I expect that the Gladiator would do a fine job of towing, at least from a power perspective, but if you are expecting strong highway performance akin to a large turbodiesel and not having to slow down for hills, you won't be happy.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayner View Post
ANY late model F-150 will tow a 22 - 25 ft AS. If revs are your issue just get a properly equipped 6.7 Ford or Cummings diesel and you can pull up and descend at about 1800 to 2500 rpm pulling your trailer and 4 more attached behind it. DONT decide on advertised sales brochures. DO download the manufacturer's Towing Guide and check vehicle equipment options (engine, body style, rear axle ratios etc), vs your towing requirements. Towing capabilities, carrying capacity, combined weight ratings etc vary widely among vehicles within the same family of vehicles, ie F150, 1500, Cherokee, yada yada yada. Happy and safe hauling to ya!
You can't rely on the specs for "payload" (carrying capcity)...ask anyone of us who have gone that route, only to find out the model we ordered was way under spec due to options...you will not know the payload till you read the door jam...unfortunate, but true.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
Before spending big bucks on a new TV. Rent one and tow your AS. Torque is everything and I just don't see the Jeep offering this. Consider a used Porsche Cayenne V8. Cheaper than a new jeep and much better car and power
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
You can't rely on the specs for "payload" (carrying capcity)...ask anyone of us who have gone that route, only to find out the model we ordered was way under spec due to options...you will not know the payload till you read the door jam...unfortunate, but true.
Correct about door tag, however if buyer goes to the trouble to use the towing guide and upfitters info correctly it will take into account the installed options weight. They are individually published by the manufacturers. At most buyer may be off +/-100 lbs (about a kid's or big dog's weight and a wise buyer would not depend on that small of a cushion) if done properly. If buyer doesnt know the weight of the intended vehicle before purchase its simply the buyers fault. Last resort the buyer can drive the thing across a CAT scale on a test drive if reading and math is the buyers limiting problem. Lots of reasons are sometimes stated for not knowing weught but not really any excuses. It is buyers responsibility to know what is being purchased & how it is to be used...the dog seldom really eats the homework any saving a buck now often costs a doller later. Happy hauling
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayner View Post
Correct about door tag, however if buyer goes to the trouble to use the towing guide and upfitters info correctly it will take into account the installed options weight. They are individually published by the manufacturers. At most buyer may be off +/-100 lbs (about a kid's or big dog's weight and a wise buyer would not depend on that small of a cushion) if done properly. If buyer doesnt know the weight of the intended vehicle before purchase its simply the buyers fault. Last resort the buyer can drive the thing across a CAT scale on a test drive if reading and math is the buyers limiting problem. Lots of reasons are sometimes stated for not knowing weught but not really any excuses. It is buyers responsibility to know what is being purchased & how it is to be used...the dog seldom really eats the homework any saving a buck now often costs a doller later. Happy hauling
So true...problem is, this is a learning process for most of us...I thought the only important items were vehicle tow rating and of course the Echoboost power; no one told me about payload when I purchased my Platinum F150 Echoboost...my payload was only 1039lbs. Had I known to look at this, I would likely have gone back to the "loaded up" Lariat I was originally looking at..I was always overloaded the first 3 years I owned the Platinum...kayaks, bbq grill, 25' tongue weight, dog, etc...The truck performed fine, and the Echoboost 6cyl never had a problem in the Rockies...think that may be one of the power problems with the OP's choice...the V8 is not as strong as the EB especially when pulling in the Rockies.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
So true...problem is, this is a learning process for most of us...I thought the only important items were vehicle tow rating and of course the Echoboost power; no one told me about payload when I purchased my Platinum F150 Echoboost...my payload was only 1039lbs. Had I known to look at this, I would likely have gone back to the "loaded up" Lariat I was originally looking at..I was always overloaded the first 3 years I owned the Platinum...kayaks, bbq grill, 25' tongue weight, dog, etc...The truck performed fine, and the Echoboost 6cyl never had a problem in the Rockies...think that may be one of the power problems with the OP's choice...the V8 is not as strong as the EB especially when pulling in the Rockies.
Most likely the extra payload would cause accelerated wear of components not loss of control. Judging by the overloaded half tons I see every day this is probably the case.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #48
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
Agreed.

While I really enjoy towing with a car, the Gladiator appeals to me. (I liked the last Jeep pickups too.) So I had a look at the specifications. The 3.6 Pentastar is a known quantity - 260 lbs ft at 4400 rpm. The best tow rating comes with the Sport package, 4.1:1 final drive, and the 8 speed automatic. I expect that this is the 8HP70 unit.
Most likely the FCA version of the 8HP50 (500 N-M torque limit), a Chrysler 850RE built under license.

I agree it would do a fine job of towing.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:18 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Most likely the FCA version of the 8HP50 (500 N-M torque limit), a Chrysler 850RE built under license.

I agree it would do a fine job of towing.

Thank you. I learned something new today. 500 newton metres is about 350 lbs ft. It makes sense that this unit would be used with the V6.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #50
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Slowmover's personal tow vehicle of choice is a Dodge 2500(3/4 ton) manual transmission diesel pickup as shown in his public profile.Lol
A business vehicle. My first TWENTY years were with using cars.

And the day any of you have a one-ton hitched to a 25’ that can outperform my Dodge while hitched to my 35’ is a day that’ll never arrive. Unlike you I knew what mattered before I bought it. Solo, and towing. The day I no longer need it, a car will be used again. As a truck is nothing but more work with less stability.

I carry 1,200-lbs constantly. And am above GVWR once hitched. But still below what matters re axle/tire/wheel limits.

What’s your every-day-no-exception loading? Those items which by their nature cannot be carried in the TT or vehicle passenger compartment.
A pickup is needed or it isn’t. Daily. THAT is the test.

Towing an Airstream ISN’T a determinant.

In the future, try not to prove the uncommon nature of common sense. This is maybe 8th grade physics.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #51
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have been considering the Gladiator myself but I think you might be pushing the limits of the Jeep with any sizable Airstream. Also consider fuel economy and fuel tank size.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
A business vehicle. My first TWENTY years were with using cars.

And the day any of you have a one-ton hitched to a 25’ that can outperform my Dodge while hitched to my 35’ is a day that’ll never arrive. Unlike you I knew what mattered before I bought it. Solo, and towing. The day I no longer need it, a car will be used again. As a truck is nothing but more work with less stability.

I carry 1,200-lbs constantly. And am above GVWR once hitched. But still below what matters re axle/tire/wheel limits.

What’s your every-day-no-exception loading? Those items which by their nature cannot be carried in the TT or vehicle passenger compartment.
A pickup is needed or it isn’t. Daily. THAT is the test.

Towing an Airstream ISN’T a determinant.

In the future, try not to prove the uncommon nature of common sense. This is maybe 8th grade physics.

Well, trouble seems to be most of us have made it past 8th grade, Slowmover...still it's difficult to understand the gibberish you write in such a condescending way...not sure if you intend this or it's just your way of sharing your experience...as many of us have experienced, today's newer trucks have excellent technology for safely towing TT's, over the older vehicles. Sad that some folks never understand this or refuse to... Either way, try to drive safe and be aware of your limits!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:52 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
The new Jeep Gladiator is a cool vehicle, but not sure I would use it to pull a large AS trailer....instead I would rather use my Airstream to pull the Gladiator!!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
It’s a Wrangler. Don’t use it for towing.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 03-26-2019, 11:57 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Looks good doing the deed here with a larger AS from their marketing material.

Click image for larger version

Name:	asgladiator.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	336650
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:55 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Looks good doing the deed here with a larger AS from their marketing material.

Attachment 336650
Nice looking truck, but that photo is probably on a closed road. I still wouldn’t tow with a Wrangler.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:43 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post

According to the specs the frame has been redesigned to handle the payload and towing claims. The wheel base is also longer than the 4 door Wrangler Unlimited.
The vehicle was designed to target mid-size truck territory. It should be able to tow any airstream 25' or shorter. I can't imagine the V-6 doing a very good job but maybe the 8 speed tranny makes it more acceptable. I'm sure its no better or worse of anything else in that catagory.

If I had a smaller trailer I could interested in this vehicle with the diesel engine. I have always been a Jeep fan at heart.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
According to the specs the frame has been redesigned to handle the payload and towing claims. The wheel base is also longer than the 4 door Wrangler Unlimited.
The vehicle was designed to target mid-size truck territory. It should be able to tow any airstream 25' or shorter. I can't imagine the V-6 doing a very good job but maybe the 8 speed tranny makes it more acceptable. I'm sure its no better or worse of anything else in that catagory.

If I had a smaller trailer I could interested in this vehicle with the diesel engine. I have always been a Jeep fan at heart.
I lost all interest in a jeep after CJ5 went away.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:36 AM   #59
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
It's a Dodge pickup frame with Wrangler-looking coachwork. It's rated tow capacity is 7500 lbs. My '16 Wrangler JKU has a tow capacity of 3500 lbs and it does fine with my landscape trailer and Kubota 26hp tractor, and my sailboat. I don't think there are any current model Airstreams a Wrangler would handle.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #60
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I lost all interest in a jeep after CJ5 went away.
REAL Jeeps have round headlights.

After my last one, an '81 Scrambler CJ-8, I switched to Toyota Landcruiser FJ's and stayed that route until early in '16. Unfortunately, my FJ Cruiser 6spd manual needed BOTH a tow dolly AND the rear driveshaft dropped to tow behind a motorhome.

I started checking around for a 4WD without a center differential, and the Jeep JKU was the last vehicle standing in it's class. I was prepared to be underwhelmed, but I've gotta say that the JKU is a competent and comfortable vehicle... an excellent towed... AND IT HAS ROUND HEADLIGHTS.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote