Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Boise , Idaho
All of the above advice is absolutely dead on! We have a set of walkie talkies too. My wife gets out and guides me while I'm backing up...very handy!
baldwin6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Walnut Creek , California
There is a reason the speed limit in California is "55". Do the limit and you will not need a sway bar nor worry about rivets popping. We have had a 16' Bambi for over two years with no sway bar and no problems. Enjoy
Elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I will gently disagree. Rolling downhill at 55mph through the Cajon pass with my rig before anti-sway was a white-knuckle experience I don't want to repeat. Felt like the rig was just barely under control every time I braked or downshifted to maintain speed. Anti-sway of some sort is a safety item you should not do without.

Anytime you tow on a ball, the trailer will always sway, either a little, or a hell of a lot without warning. I went with a ProPride because a) I could, and b) I don't ever want to try to straighten out an AS that's doing its darnedest to pass my TV, and c) overkill is better than under kill when it comes to sway control, IMHO.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
You'll work out the weight distribution issue after a few more tows. The Equalizer 4 Point WD Hitch is not only a excellent hitch but a good choice for a newbee as it incorporates Weight Distribution & sway control into one very easy to use hitch. They can be purchased online for the best price & just about any RV Dealer will install it for a fee. Google Equalizer WD Hitch for videos & prices, I got mine for around $450.00
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelboy View Post
Hi everyone. We're proud owners of a 16' 2011 Bambi. I have a 2006 4Runner V8 Ltd for towing (Toyota says 7,000 pounds... Bambi is 3,500). Drives reasonably well from what little experience I have (have driven about 20 miles with it).

I know NOTHING.

3) Really, the #1 issue is the brakes. The vehicles hitch is all factory. I don't understand what a brake controller is and whether I need one. The guy at the RV place said to read my manual (was not friendly or helpful), but it doesn't mention a thing about it. When I apply the brakes on the 4runner, doesn't that apply the brakes on the Bambi? Do I need a controller?

Thanks so much!
Hi Tunnelboy, welcome to the forum. Interesting name, I'm sure it goes with an interesting story

I have the '04 4Runner with the 4.7L V-8 and I pull our 23' Safari with it. Handling is very good.

If your 4Runner has the towing package, like Alumineer said, get the Tekonsha brake controller and make sure you specify that you want the cable for Toyotas. You can mount it under the dash just in front of your right knee. (I couldn't find a better place, but it makes it handy.)

On the left side kick plate, by your left foot and at the top of the kick plate is a wire with a plug (You may have to search in the wiring bundle, but it's there if you have the towing package). This is for the brake controller. That plugs into the supplied cable which plugs into the back of the Tekonsha.

(Tekonsha P2, not sure if P3 is different)
When you start the 4Runner, the Tekonsha window displays NC (Not connected) if the trailer is not plugged into the 4Runner 7-pin plug. If it's plugged in you will see a series of numbers depending on if your'e in park (0) or stepping on the brake. (Numbers increasing as you stop harder.)

On the top left is a dial, this sets how much trailer braking is applied when you step on the brake; higher the number, more brake. On the bottom of the Tekonsha is a lever. This is manual braking. To set the brake, move the manual lever to the opposite side, then turn the dial to set a number about mid range or less. Start out with the trailer and apply the brakes to see how the Tekonsha registers and how easily the trailer stops. Adjust the left knob up or down as necessary.

For hitch, our previous owner (PO) gave us the Equalizer hitch that he had on his Tacoma. He said it was great on his tow vehicle (TV). I've used it for a couple of years now and it's fairly easy to use. I feel very confident at 60-65 although I've had it up to 75 for short periods. It loses 1.5 mpg at 70 so I dial it down to the lower speeds.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
P3 adapter for Toyota trucks is readily available. Dittoes on the hard to find plug. I had to pull out the kick panel to fund it, and it was twisted behind the harness where it was well hidden. From there, it was plug and play. Ours is mounted below the fuse panel on the left bottom of the dash. I tend to drive right handed and hit trailer brake left handed. YMMV.

With our 22 footer, I run boost 1 and adjust the gain to avoid the Hensley 'bump' effect by breaking the trailer a bit harder than the truck. As always, drive carefully and remember that you are controlling a lot more weight than just your toe vehicle. Plan your moves as far ahead as possible...,

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:27 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Berkeley , California
Wow, I didn't expect this outpouring of support! Thank you, thank you! It's a little overwhelming but I'm taking it all in.

1) I already ordered the P3 controller with the 4Runner harness. Thanks for the tips on finding the connector and what to expect.

2) On the anti-sway issue that's where it gets overwhelming. Everyone has a different take. Sounds like I could get away without it and possibly never have an issue, BUT, I'm a very safety conscious guy and don't want to wait to encounter a bad situation. Can I just get away with a setup using these two items? Do I have to get the whole elaborate $500 deal?

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57521-Ol.../dp/B00074Q29W
Amazon.com: CURT 45820 Sway Tab Ball Mount: CURT: Automotive

Thanks to everyone for their tips and suggestions. I read all of them and appreciate all of it.

@richw46 My username comes from my historical interest in old abandoned railroad tunnels.

@baldwin6601 My 4Runner has a built-in backup camera aimed right at the ball. Can line things up super easily.
tunnelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Brake Controller

We've had our 2008 19' Bambi for 3 years. I just installed a brake controller for two reasons. First, my service guy said it is required by law in TX. Second, and on the $$ side, I was spending about $300 per year having my brake rotors turned because of excessive braking heat without the controller. No longer a problem, and it does make a difference. We tow with an '08 Expedition, no sway or weight distribution gear and have never felt concerned (except for a freak west Texas squall this year with 40+ mph winds).
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
[QUOTE=tunnelboy;1712893]

2) On the anti-sway issue that's where it gets overwhelming. Everyone has a different take. Sounds like I could get away without it and possibly never have an issue, BUT, I'm a very safety conscious guy and don't want to wait to encounter a bad situation. Can I just get away with a setup using these two items? Do I have to get the whole elaborate $500 deal?

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57521-Ol.../dp/B00074Q29W
Amazon.com: CURT 45820 Sway Tab Ball Mount: CURT: Automotive

@richw46 My username comes from my historical interest in old abandoned railroad tunnels.
QUOTE]

Interesting hobby, abandoned railroad tunnels, but I'll stick with fishing.

I don't know about the two items on Amazon, no experience. The only WD/Anti-sway hitch I've ever used is the Equalizer. It makes a big difference on having the 4Runner and trailer level. The 10K version is on Amazon for $376, from Camper RV Supply. http://www.amazon.com/EQUALIZER-9200...ZTQR73H36NMPPF

Have you hitched up to your 4Runner with the standard frame hitch? Is the rig level? TV and AS should be as close to level with the ground as possible. How does it tow on the Interstate around a lot of semis?

You have a lot of money invested in the rig, an even bigger investment in family. I wouldn't go cheap on safety. Your rig might pull fine without a WD/Anti-sway hitch but how will it handle in an emergency situation? How about high winds when crossing a bridge across an open span or among a bunch of semis with a cross wind?

For me, I had pulled boats and U-Hauls for many years. This AS was very different but with this hitch it sits level and handles very well with cross winds, truck traffic, turns, etc. It's that warm fuzzy feeling so I can enjoy the trip without white knuckles.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:14 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I have an Equalizer on my 16'. But don't go with the 10,000. That's what I started with and it was too stiff for the 3,500lb Bambi. I downgraded/upgraded to the 6,000 lb and it's a much better tow experience.

Stan
Salt Lake City
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I also use the equalizer on my 16'. The 6000 pound bars was recommended by the dealer that installed it. I have been pleased with it. They do make one with 4000 pound bars I don't know what the towing difference would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums