Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2017, 11:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
New and hungry for info on TT hitch and sway bars

Hello Friends,

I'm new to the forum and airstream. I will be buying a new 2017 flying cloud 25' FB this week. I will be towing with a 2017 f-250 platinum. The manual says it comes with trailer sway control. My specific question getting started is that it is my understanding that a sway bar (like a propride 3 that i see people talking about) is a good idea. Would someone be so kind and guide me on what to get etc. please? I'm not picky as long as its quality and does what its supposed to do. Is this something worth investing in? Which one?
I would like an easy and safe WD and sway control system (do i need sway control if my vehicle has that already)?

Thank you in advance.
on the fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi - welcome and congrats.

There are endless threads in these forums on hitches and they tend to get a bit rowdy for some reason...

What does your Ford user manual say about weight distribution and/or sway control hitches? I would start there.

It's possible you might not need anything in that the trailer may not pull much weight off your truck's front axle when connected and your truck's electronic sway control may be sufficient.

It's possible you might need a limited amount of weight distribution if your truck's front axle loses a couple hundred pounds and in that case something like the Andersen might be a good choice. Those who use it tend to love it in that type of application. Those who need more weight distribution tend to go with other brands.

Any of the major brands are likely to serve you well. Blue Ox, Equal-I-zer(?), Ea-z-lift, Hensley, ProPride...they all do weight distribution and sway control and they approach it differently for different prices.

Again - I'd start with your Ford manual and tailor my search from there. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:57 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
One thing to keep in mind - the truck system will use the ABS braking system to try to fight sway; whereas sway bars are dampers that pull the energy out of the sway and straighten things up.

I pull out 30' with a 2500 truck and I like having sway and WD from my BlueOX. It does improve ride and reduce sway.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:56 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
I have an Equal-I-Zer, it seems to do the job with my 1500 Silverado.
I had a Reese Strait-Line in the past, it did the job as well, but I had a 3/4 ton truck at the time. Maybe that skewed the results.
In my opinion, the ProPride 3 is the ultimate solution, but it's way more money.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Some very basic points we have learned using different types of w.d./sway control hitches.

The truck's electronic factory sway control is next to nothing on a large trailer, and provides no weight distribution (that is, restoring any weight lifted off the truck's steering axle and shifting some of the truck's load back to the trailer axles).

You didn't say if it's a diesel truck or the truck's wheelbase. The diesel engine is heavy, resists lifting off steering axle weight better than the gas engine. Wheelbase length affects w.d. and sway resistance. Longer wheelbase is more difficult to distribute weight, but resists trailer sway a little better.

Weight distribution. The trailer tongue weight will put it's weight primarily on the truck's rear axle, and weight loaded in the truck's bed behind its rear axle will add to it. This takes weight off the steering axle. You can correct it with a w.d. hitch.

Sway control. There are (mostly) two types. Most use a bulit-in or separate friction device to resist sway movement, which pivots on the truck's recover ball and leverages sway forward to the steering axle. The Hensley/ProPride design moves the pivot point forward to the truck's drive axle (like a semi or fifth wheel trailer) where any sway movement is stopped, not leveraged forward to the steering axle.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I used an Equalizer brand hitch for three years, one towing a Safari 25 with an F-150, one towing the 25 with a Ram 2500, and now one towing a Classic 30 Slideout with the Ram. I never experienced an uncomfortable moment due to sway. I was persuaded to get a Propride by two things: the argument that it prevents sway, which might occur with the Equalizer in an emergency situation, although I have made a couple of last minute decisions and braked hard to make a turn with no issues, and second, the Propride is easier on my back when unhitching and going into storage.

I would suggest you get a hitch with some form of sway control and weight distribution capability. I like the fact that the sway control is inherent in the Propride design and is independent of the weight distribution. The Propride is also easier to get dialed in and easy to adjust for varying load conditions although I have never felt the need to change my Equalizer settings once I got it set up properly.

Full disclosure: I have not yet made a long tow with the Propride. I towed it a short distance (20 miles) from the house to storage and it felt more stable, i.e. no "wag" coming out of turns. When turning and braking I did experience the "Hensley Bump" but the trailer is pushing the truck when braking with the built-in brake controller. I am getting set up to test a Prodigy P3 in hopes that the "boost function" will eliminate the bump and improve braking. If not I'm probably going to fit disc brakes to the trailer. I felt my 25, when towed by either truck, stopped very close to or as well as the truck alone which is not the case with the 30. You should be fine with almost any quality hitch and the built-in brake controller with your 25.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Bottom line: Either
1. Blue Ox or Equalizer, at approx. $500; or
2. Hensley or ProPride, at approx. $2,500.
Each of them has its own advocates.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

Have a look at the many, many hitch threads, gather all the opinions, then make a reasoned choice that fits your situation.

I have a somewhat light truck, tow in the mountains in California, and really, really hate any signs of sway. My choice was a ProPride because it did not require drilling holes in the A-frame and is an improved Hensley design. Many have reported success with Equalizer systems. Make a careful decision, because experimenting can get expensive. An out-of-control sway situation even more so....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Coppell , Texas
I recently purchased a new Reese system. It works well, but I was extremely disappointed in the quality of workmanship. The powder coat on the torsion arms is quite heavy, and was flaking off when I received it. The draw bar had very large grinder marks all over it. It fits loosely in the TV receiver hitch. I would not recommend Reese.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Sheridan , Wyoming
I'm new to towing and my Equal-i-zer Hitch is a pleasure. Driving cross country and lots of high wind we have never had a hint of sway. The dealer did an outstanding job of setting it up. Congratulations on your new Airstream.
BigHornStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
Our 27FB came with a Hensley, so I cannot compare it to the Blue Ox or any of the others. I can only say that when we are on the road it is as if the truck and trailer are WELDED together. Absolutely rock solid.

Yes, we have a very sure footed TV (Ram 3500 DRW) but I think that part of it is the Hensley. We towed a 35 ft fifth wheel with the same truck and it wasn't as solid and free of sway as our AS.

In the end, it's just personal preference.
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Zionsville , Indiana

It is personal preference and budget. If you can afford it, you will not be disappointed with a ProPride. We tow a 26U with a 2017 F250 Platinum diesel and it is rock solid. Also, their customer service is first rate and it is 100% made in the USA.
DRPREECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the fly View Post
Hello Friends,

I'm new to the forum and airstream. I will be buying a new 2017 flying cloud 25' FB this week. I will be towing with a 2017 f-250 platinum. The manual says it comes with trailer sway control. My specific question getting started is that it is my understanding that a sway bar (like a propride 3 that i see people talking about) is a good idea. Would someone be so kind and guide me on what to get etc. please? I'm not picky as long as its quality and does what its supposed to do. Is this something worth investing in? Which one?
I would like an easy and safe WD and sway control system (do i need sway control if my vehicle has that already)?

Thank you in advance.
This thread looks like a setup for pushing Pro Pride hitches.
If you got $ 2,500 to spare and enjoy dealing with 23 pages of installation instructions, go for it. That's the most you can spend on a hitch and its a good one. Yikes $ 2,500 for a hitch.
I have a Blue Ox, pulling a 30' Classic with a F-250 diesel. Yesterday drove 390 miles in sustained side winds all the way on I 69 and it felt like my truck and trailer were "fused" into one unit running on a set of rails. And I only spent $ 600 on the hitch and installed it myself in less than an hour.
Oh, and I did all that driving with only my pinky holding the steering wheel.:-)
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Hi - welcome and congrats.

There are endless threads in these forums on hitches and they tend to get a bit rowdy for some reason...

What does your Ford user manual say about weight distribution and/or sway control hitches? I would start there.

It's possible you might not need anything in that the trailer may not pull much weight off your truck's front axle when connected and your truck's electronic sway control may be sufficient.

It's possible you might need a limited amount of weight distribution if your truck's front axle loses a couple hundred pounds and in that case something like the Andersen might be a good choice. Those who use it tend to love it in that type of application. Those who need more weight distribution tend to go with other brands.

Any of the major brands are likely to serve you well. Blue Ox, Equal-I-zer(?), Ea-z-lift, Hensley, ProPride...they all do weight distribution and sway control and they approach it differently for different prices.

Again - I'd start with your Ford manual and tailor my search from there. Good luck!
Hi and thank you.

The only thing it says is, if i'm going to use a WD system, that i measure the distance between front tire and fender, load trailer, measure distance again and set weight distribution to a middle number etc.

So I assume that means that I can use one. Whether or not i need one, i have no idea...

My truck has electronic sway control and the Manuel says it kicks in once sway is detected..
Old 06-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Thanks I will look into that
Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Its a 6.7 ltr diesel power stroke... not sure the wheel base. Its the extended one but not the most extended one the have. 6 ft cargo area. Thank for the info. its sounding like WD/sway control is a good idea
Old 06-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I used an Equalizer brand hitch for three years, one towing a Safari 25 with an F-150, one towing the 25 with a Ram 2500, and now one towing a Classic 30 Slideout with the Ram. I never experienced an uncomfortable moment due to sway. I was persuaded to get a Propride by two things: the argument that it prevents sway, which might occur with the Equalizer in an emergency situation, although I have made a couple of last minute decisions and braked hard to make a turn with no issues, and second, the Propride is easier on my back when unhitching and going into storage.

I would suggest you get a hitch with some form of sway control and weight distribution capability. I like the fact that the sway control is inherent in the Propride design and is independent of the weight distribution. The Propride is also easier to get dialed in and easy to adjust for varying load conditions although I have never felt the need to change my Equalizer settings once I got it set up properly.

Full disclosure: I have not yet made a long tow with the Propride. I towed it a short distance (20 miles) from the house to storage and it felt more stable, i.e. no "wag" coming out of turns. When turning and braking I did experience the "Hensley Bump" but the trailer is pushing the truck when braking with the built-in brake controller. I am getting set up to test a Prodigy P3 in hopes that the "boost function" will eliminate the bump and improve braking. If not I'm probably going to fit disc brakes to the trailer. I felt my 25, when towed by either truck, stopped very close to or as well as the truck alone which is not the case with the 30. You should be fine with almost any quality hitch and the built-in brake controller with your 25.

Al
Thanks Al. appreciate the info
Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Have a look at the many, many hitch threads, gather all the opinions, then make a reasoned choice that fits your situation.

I have a somewhat light truck, tow in the mountains in California, and really, really hate any signs of sway. My choice was a ProPride because it did not require drilling holes in the A-frame and is an improved Hensley design. Many have reported success with Equalizer systems. Make a careful decision, because experimenting can get expensive. An out-of-control sway situation even more so....
Thank you. I deff dont want to experiment. Just want to get it right the first time.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHornStream View Post
I'm new to towing and my Equal-i-zer Hitch is a pleasure. Driving cross country and lots of high wind we have never had a hint of sway. The dealer did an outstanding job of setting it up. Congratulations on your new Airstream.
thank you
Old 06-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
This thread looks like a setup for pushing Pro Pride hitches.
If you got $ 2,500 to spare and enjoy dealing with 23 pages of installation instructions, go for it. That's the most you can spend on a hitch and its a good one. Yikes $ 2,500 for a hitch.
I have a Blue Ox, pulling a 30' Classic with a F-250 diesel. Yesterday drove 390 miles in sustained side winds all the way on I 69 and it felt like my truck and trailer were "fused" into one unit running on a set of rails. And I only spent $ 600 on the hitch and installed it myself in less than an hour.
Oh, and I did all that driving with only my pinky holding the steering wheel.:-)
Thanks brother. appreciate the feedback. Had no idea what a propride was tilll about 24hrs ago so im deff not on their sales team