Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton Roads , Virginia
Net Carrying Capacity

Greetings,

I'm fairly new to the Forum and have yet to get a trailer. Doing lots of research and have some basic questions regarding Net Carrying Capacity. I couldn't find a board which seemed more appropriate than this one or find a thread dedicated to this topic when I searched, but please let me know if I missed an existing discussion.

So, what is included in NCC? And what is included in the TT unit base weight?

UBW: beside the trailer, I assume this includes all installed items including all appliances, even AC units if they are part of the original specs? Does it include propane tanks, does it include the propane in them? I assume this does not include water in the fresh tank?

NCC: Is this just for towing, or also for camping? Meaning, one tows the TT without people...so is my weight part of the NCC once it is parked? Or is NCC less of an issue once camping? I know my weight is part of the whole vehicle weight when driving.

NCC: Includes liquid in the 3 tanks? Propane?

I know this is basic, but I couldn't find a set list of what is included.

Thank you.
Harvey Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Dowd View Post
Greetings,

I'm fairly new to the Forum and have yet to get a trailer. Doing lots of research and have some basic questions regarding Net Carrying Capacity. I couldn't find a board which seemed more appropriate than this one or find a thread dedicated to this topic when I searched, but please let me know if I missed an existing discussion.

UBW: beside the trailer, I assume this includes all installed items including all appliances, even AC units if they are part of the original specs? Does it include propane tanks, does it include the propane in them? I assume this does not include water in the fresh tank?

NCC: Is this just for towing, or also for camping? Meaning, one tows the TT without people...so is my weight part of the NCC once it is parked? Or is NCC less of an issue once camping? I know my weight is part of the whole vehicle weight when driving.

Thank you.
On the older trailers, unit basic weight (listed on the placard) is the average weight of standard trailers of that specific model without any added accessories, not the weight of that specific trailer. If a trailer accessory comes standard on every trailer, it is included in the basic weight. If something extra is ordered from the factory, it is not included.

Net carrying capacity = cargo carrying capacity = maximum weight of every added option that is attached to the trailer and cargo carried by the trailer. Propane and water are cargo.

Newer trailers are supposed to be the actual weight of the trailer as manufactured, but I doubt it is accurate.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Dowd View Post
Greetings,

Thank you.
These can vary by manufacturer and year. The UBW + NCC equals the GVWR
From my owner's manual:

Note: All weights were made on prototype vehicles. Your production trailer may vary slightly. More information on weighing and loading your trailer can be found under "Weight Rating" in the forward section of this manual. Information pertaining to your trailer can be found in your vehicle on the back of the wardrobe door about 60" up from the floor. The Unit Base Weight (UBW) and the Net Carrying Capacity (NCC) is not the same as the Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW) and the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) shown on the Trailer Weight Information tag in your vehicle. The UBW and NCC weights are for the base unit with no options and fluids. The UVW and CCC on the Trailer Weight Information tag are weights for the individual vehicle as built with its options and certain water capacities.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

snipsnipsnip......"Newer trailers are supposed to be the actual weight of the trailer as manufactured, but I doubt it is accurate."

I can vouch...it's a joke for older AS's.

7300lb GVWR on two 3500lb axles.....

Hard to get a workable CCC with that combo.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_68e.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	293527   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_e98.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	564.9 KB
ID:	293528  

Old 08-29-2017, 08:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You forgot the tongue weight is carried by the TV.
The dry weight of the coach is probably in the 4K pound range.
IMHO. If you have to take 1 1/2 ton of stuff with you. You are taking way more than is necessary.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
. If you have to take 1 1/2 ton of stuff with you. You are taking way more than is necessary.
You talk like a single man.
ITSNO60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:26 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
You forgot the tongue weight is carried by the TV.
The dry weight of the coach is probably in the 4K pound range.
IMHO. If you have to take 1 1/2 ton of stuff with you. You are taking way more than is necessary.
Not quite....all the TW, over 200# is actually sent back to the under rated axles.

With WD set for camping load....
7640 on the trailer axles.

Are you saying that a 676# CCC is acceptable?

Sorry TG we will have to agree to disagree.

......add yes we do enjoy all the unnecessary "stuff" we take with us.

Sweet Streams

Bob