Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #41
ThisplainJayne

Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Maryland
Low Oil pressure

Joey Stryke, I had a ‘12 Avalanche and I suddenly got the low pressure message also one day while driving. Of course I pulled over immediately and killed the engine. Just like you the oil level was fine. I had it towed to my house and checked it again and oil level was again, perfect. Doing research I discovered that Chevy gas engines have a history of Oil pressure switches having a short life! It is also inexplicably located at the back of the block up against the firewall and extremely hard to remove! I took a chance and drove it down my street to a local Independent Repair shop and they changed out the switch and I never had a problem again, driving the Avalanche another several years before I sold it. I know this reply is old but I doubt you need a replacement engine! Get another opinion...
ARIIXRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:01 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"THEY SAID"...did you eye-ball & confirm?

Did they drop the oil pan...call you in to the shop and point out the.."metal was all through out the engine".

I would first confirm the diagnosis. Low OP does not always equal metal particles. No pressure on a running engine could very well be a faulty pressure sender.

Having some experience in GM service, that R&R 'repair' will be much more expensive at a dealer.

Bob
🇺🇸
What he said.
Also, I just replaced my Ford 6.8 V-10 with a Ford Reman. and had it installed by a local Christian Brothers Automotive. It was about 25% lower in total cost than your quote.
I would consider a different vehicle, but you should get very familiar with the pros and cons of each vehicle. For instance in my “Ford Excursion World” the king of engines was the 7.3 Diesel from 2000 through 2003. In 2004 the 6.0 Diesel was introduced and was plagued with problems.
Good luck in your research and decision.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:36 PM   #43

San Jose , California
Engine Repair

First I would ask the dealer if there is anyway to get some Factory help on the repair. A 5 year old truck that has been maintained should not need a new engine. They should offer a bit of help.
joconnor54 is offline   Reply With Quote