Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #21
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
There’s a common conception that an opinion cannot be wrong. However, before you crouch behind your Shield of Opinion you need to ask yourself two questions.

.....Glad I could clear that up. I see it on this forum all the time.

Is this your writing, or did you cut and paste it from an online article without attributing it? It just seemed very familiar.

Yes, Your Opinion Can Be Wrong | Houston Press

You should of used the John Oliver quote, that was a good skit.

But back to this topic, you just used an opinion to state that another's opinion was factually wrong. If you want to verify a position you could look to empirical evidence. Right now the evidence is looking like three years of successful towing is balanced against......opinion.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:53 PM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

jcl,

Is that your opinion or did we read it somewhere in a three year old thread?

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Is this your writing, or did you cut and paste it from an online article without attributing it? It just seemed very familiar.

Yes, Your Opinion Can Be Wrong | Houston Press

You should of used the John Oliver quote, that was a good skit.

But back to this topic, you just used an opinion to state that another's opinion was factually wrong. If you want to verify a position you could look to empirical evidence. Right now the evidence is looking like three years of successful towing is balanced against......opinion.
My opinion is what it is. If you disagree that's ok & I respect that, so be it. My voice is as loud as yours, safety on the road effects everybody out there including yours.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My sister in law has a traverse, my wife has a toyota venza, I would not try to tow any trailer with either one of them, my opinion after towing travel trailers since 1971 ,when I bought my first one.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:51 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
So what we just learned is that it is three years later, and the OP is happy with his tow vehicle selection. Apparently it works well for him.

Garfield, thanks for posting.
Thank you, and yes I am very happy. We plan on keeping this current combo (Safari and Traverse) at least until I retire in about 10 years.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:31 PM   #26
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
My opinion is what it is. If you disagree that's ok & I respect that, so be it. My voice is as loud as yours, safety on the road effects everybody out there including yours.
You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. I was responding to BoldAdventure, who posted a diatribe about whether opinions can be wrong. Trouble was, it was cut and pasted without attribution from an online source (linked) and I had read it previously. He appears to have now rethought, and deleted his post.

Jeff
Old 07-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #27
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
jcl,

Is that your opinion or did we read it somewhere in a three year old thread?

Bob
You missed the best part. See above.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
No disrespect intended, but towing a 25 ft with a vehicle like that is dangerous, maybe not to you but to me. I see it on the Interstate & I shiver, small TV, small brakes, the tail waging the dog & it's in front of me. Can Am in London, Ontario loves to do the impossible with hitch/small TV set ups. I for one don't buy it & most on here don't either.
Fifth season with this set up, no issues at all, safe and mechanically sound. An excellent tow platform that is a viable road car when not towing - I'm with Garfield on this one.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I'm in Europe right now, Denmark and Northern Germany, and I have been ever so tempted to take pictures of some of the tow combinations here. I've yet to see a single truck, even with the largest trailers. Yet, perhaps miraculously, the highway isn't littered with wrecks.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:19 AM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

Quote:
You missed the best part. See above.

Sorry.....there is no best part of this inane discussion.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:22 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Why go to all the trouble ? When you can purchase a suitable tow vehicle that has been engineered to do the job.
Sure it would be great to tow with a BMW X5 twin turbo diesel or a Mercedes Blutec but not everyone can afford a top rated TV. I think there is enough evidence that Garfield's Traverse is no doubt one of the better rated alternatives.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
nice looking rig for sure.. I think the Sienna, especially the redish, is a cool TV pulling a Airstream which is cool RV so two cools makes it REAL cool..

What would be real nice getting the Shinny SS pillar and back window surround addon,

NOW we talking...

http://tinyurl.com/pfjxszo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Fifth season with this set up, no issues at all, safe and mechanically sound. An excellent tow platform that is a viable road car when not towing - I'm with Garfield on this one.

WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:02 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
SO take some already.. we or at least I would love to see them.. I know the trailers axles are more centered but still be cool to see the different combos..

A lot of guys only know one way to, or in their mind, tow a TT. Like someone else said and I can verify as I have been to florida and back from NC twice this year, mar and july, and did not see ONE RV trailer wreck or for that matter only saw one TT on side of road with flat/blown out tire. I bet you see more pickups in TT related wrecks than the Sienna, Traverse etc TV nation wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I'm in Europe right now, Denmark and Northern Germany, and I have been ever so tempted to take pictures of some of the tow combinations here. I've yet to see a single truck, even with the largest trailers. Yet, perhaps miraculously, the highway isn't littered with wrecks.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:27 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
... I bet you see more pickups in TT related wrecks than the Sienna, Traverse etc TV nation wide.
Someone in another thread said CanAm has setup 3000 minivans over the years. To make the math simple, lets assume they have setup 3000 minivans in 30 years. That would be 100 minivans per year, and 8.33 minivans per month. Lets make it 10 minivans per month even. I am assuming all these minivans are towing beyond their manufacturer capacity (as towing under 3500# does not require a "setup").

Ford sells 70,000 F150 per month. GM roughly sells about the same number of Silverado/Sierra pickups. Lets say Ram, Toyota, and Nissan sell another 60,000. That would be 70,000 + 70,000 + 60,000 = 200,000.

200,000 pickups vs 10 minivans per month. The reason you see many truck accidents and not any minivans accidents are the numbers above. The number of minivan tow vehicles (hence the chance of them being in an accident) is statistically 0.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:51 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Someone in another thread said CanAm has setup 3000 minivans over the years. To make the math simple, lets assume they have setup 3000 minivans in 30 years. That would be 100 minivans per year, and 8.33 minivans per month. Lets make it 10 minivans per month even. I am assuming all these minivans are towing beyond their manufacturer capacity (as towing under 3500# does not require a "setup").

Ford sells 70,000 F150 per month. GM roughly sells about the same number of Silverado/Sierra pickups. Lets say Ram, Toyota, and Nissan sell another 60,000. That would be 70,000 + 70,000 + 60,000 = 200,000.

200,000 pickups vs 10 minivans per month. The reason you see many truck accidents and not any minivans accidents are the numbers above. The number of minivan tow vehicles (hence the chance of them being in an accident) is statistically 0.

...and yet we're consistently told that we'll all be rubber side up in no time.

Yes, I know, there's lies, damned lies and statistics.

It should be noted that I only ever enter into these discussions when someone tells us it that it can't or shouldn't be done; I'm putting the other side of the debate out there and backing it with some actual use experience. Truck advocates don't have to like what I and the other small TV users are doing but they are in no position to tell us that we can't or shouldn't be doing it without having some facts to back their claims.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I haven't seen any minivans pulling tandem axle trailers in Montana that I can recall. I wonder what chevrolet would say if a warranty issue came up while towing an airstream?
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:34 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
@tjdinohoe
I was thinking the same thing, since he's running over the GCVR of the vehicle. Transmissions are not cheap, and I doubt that running that GM engine over 4000 rpm for sustained periods is too good for it. The lamdas have not been paragons of reliability. That said, there's a world of difference between someone who uses the trailer some weekends and perhaps an annual vacation in central and eastern Canada and someone who is a quasi full-timer headed through the Rockies.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:35 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
@tjdinohoe
I was thinking the same thing, since he's running over the GCVR of the vehicle. Transmissions are not cheap, and I doubt that running that GM engine over 4000 rpm for sustained periods is too good for it.
In an attempt to keep things factually correct (after all, this is my thread ) when highway cruising at 105 kph (65 mph), my Traverse stays in 5th gear at 2300 rpm 95% of the time and only drops down to 4th on hills, when passing or occasionally when driving into strong headwinds. In the three years I've been towing the transmission temperature has never, ever exceeded 190 degrees F, and it only went over 180 once during stop and go heavy highway traffic.

My setup is so stable that virtually no steering input is required travelling at speed on the highway when being passed by semis, buses or class A's. There are very few truck based rigs that can make that claim due to the instability caused by the trucks larger sail area.

Oh yeah, my Traverse also gets better mileage that a (gas) truck too.

Things are not always what they may seem at first glance.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:28 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
As far as warranties are concerned, I checked with my dealer who told me that there were zero issues with my warrantee.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:27 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
As far as warranties are concerned, I checked with my dealer who told me that there were zero issues with my warrantee.
Andy, please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe you have a 2008 Odyssey and you modified it in 2013. Honda's warranty is 5 years/60k miles (which ever comes first). Did you even have any warranty when you checked with your dealer?
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote