Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #1

Houston , Texas
Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 Tow Vehicle

I'm considering purchasing a 2015 Mercedes Sprinter cargo van as a tow vehicle for a Flying Cloud 28. The Sprinter is a 4x4 diesel V-6 with 7500 lb towing capacity, and will only have a couple kayaks, a moped and two passengers inside. The Cloud's base weight is 5979 lbs and I don't expect it to go above 7000 total weight. I'll be traveling mostly in the south, southeast, and mid-west, and not likely to go over the Rockies.

Any one see a problem with this combination, or have a better alternative?
ibwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I've seen many Sprinters towing the past few years. FEDEX fills them to the ceiling with freight; Airstream and others 'Interstate' them.

I haven't reviewed the numbers, but can't see why they wouldn't make excellent TVs.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibwo View Post
I'm considering purchasing a 2015 Mercedes Sprinter cargo van as a tow vehicle for a Flying Cloud 28. The Sprinter is a 4x4 diesel V-6 with 7500 lb towing capacity, and will only have a couple kayaks, a moped and two passengers inside. The Cloud's base weight is 5979 lbs and I don't expect it to go above 7000 total weight. I'll be traveling mostly in the south, southeast, and mid-west, and not likely to go over the Rockies.

Any one see a problem with this combination, or have a better alternative?
Are you buying an aftermarket 4 X 4 conversion? If not, where are you sourcing the Sprinter? I do not think that Mercedes if offering their 4 wheel drive Sprinter in the US yet, as I heard 2016 or 2017 as the target date.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Lew, 4x4 is available in 2015 models in Canada. A long way from Houston mind you.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #5

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Are you buying an aftermarket 4 X 4 conversion? If not, where are you sourcing the Sprinter? I do not think that Mercedes if offering their 4 wheel drive Sprinter in the US yet, as I heard 2016 or 2017 as the target date.
Production of 4x4 Sprinters for the US market starts in January 2015. I believe they are manufactured in Germany, shipped as a kit and assembled in the US. I read that there are only 1700 shipping next year. I think pre-orders started Nov 1. My local Mercedes salesman says he is only allocated eight and has already sold half of them. No discount off msrp. They're expensive, but are the only 4x4 cargo van without aftermarket conversion. I think one will work well as a toyhauler TV, but at about twenty feet, it is going to make for a pretty long rig.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thanks for the update!!!! Very cool indeed!!!!!!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
Are these the shorties with the low top? I could go for one like that.
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #8

Houston , Texas
Shorter or longer. Low cargo deck on either, and a higher roof if you want it.
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter: Build & Equip
Old 11-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
mercedes tow v.

I have been towing my 23 Safari SE with the Mercedes ML350 Diesel for almost six years now. Absolutely beautiful as a tow vehicle. Had one series of problems with an electrical system fault from water leakage, but the same diesel and transmission as the sprinter with the same load capacities. Never any issues with power, etc etc. Love the set up, great comfort, lots of space for hauling stuff, and just nice to drive.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I drove a Sprinter in Europe. They are excellent vehicles and should serve you extremely well.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #11

Houston , Texas
Thanks for the feed back, all. I think I'll go ahead and place the order before it is too late for this year.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #12

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Anaheim , California
I have a 2013 Sprinter 144 with a high roof and am towing a 23 Flying Cloud front bed. The van pulls the trailer very well and is amazingly stable with the anti sway bar attached. Before attaching the sway bar, on the freeway the van would "wiggle" slightly and quickly set off the anti skid sensor and put the engine into a safety power mode. My dealer did not recognize the code on the dash so it took me a while to figure out the problem.

I would like to get the 4x4 option someday so let us know how yours works out.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
smorefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
There is an aftermarket hitch for the Sprinter that apparently can handle 1,000#/10,000# using a weight distribution hitch... Curtis maybe? But only 5,000 without W/D.

So glad the Sprinter will be available as 4x4 - finally. Added bonus in CAnada we don't have the Chicken Tax so they are shipped assembled from GErmany. By the looks of it even the 3500 Dually models will be available 4x4. And low range is only $300 extra.
walk0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
The one thing you need to watch out for is that this is a newly designed engine. You don't want the old one. I have an 08 and this engine is strong but unreliable. There are inherent design issues with it. The engine develops an oil cooler leak after a while which is very expensive to repair. In addition the Intake port shutoff motor is a known failure (or swirl motor). Not to mention that the flaps in the intake that this motor controls are known to get completely clogged with carbon causing the flaps to break off and wedge into the engine. I know I am at this point now. Thousands to repair. Thanks MB! I won't be purchasing another one.
These issues are known issues for all euro diesels, since they share common parts and designs.
If you don't mind spending thousands to repair the vehicle makes for a very nice TV. The seats are great and so is the ride. But.......
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote