Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Ocean Springs , Mississippi
MEASURING Tongue Weight

If you care about tongue weight, allow me to HIGHLY RECOMMEND the purchase of a Sherline LM-5000 via Amazon for $133 (or your supplier of choice).

We recently ordered a 2019 Classic 33 at Airstream of Tampa (what a REALLY NEAT DEALERSHIP by the way) because of its amazing new features (much larger shower, desk and "smart technology").

My biggest concern was potentially overloading my 2016 Ford Expedition (Max Tow Package rated at 9200#) with a new tongue weight spec'd at 1015#.

We currently tow a FC30 whose advertised tongue weight is 750#.

Deciding I needed a scale to actually weigh what I got, DuckDuckGo (No Mo Google 4 me) vectored me to Amazon and the Sherline scale.

The tech manual with this scale is worth $100 to me and so I figure the scale only cost $33. Seriously, the tech manual has some ILLUMINATING INFORMATION and is very VERY handy as reference for we engineering types.

I followed the tech manual's procedures, and CAREFULLY BLOCKED and screwed my floor jack in place. I know the photo looks "iffy" but that blocking's not moving.

Further, by using this method, I still have the trailer jack deployed and used a LEAF as a feeler gage to verify the jack plate was clear of the ground.

Low and behold, my tongue weight was 1600#, yes, more than TWICE the stated number.

I plan to follow some additional advice in the Sherline Tech Manual by weighing the entire rig (we just returned from 35 days in Florida so it's STILL LOADED) and by weighing each axle to accurately determine just how much weight I was towing.

While on this trip, I noticed that whole rig had a slight dip. I always monitor this and even use a simple tape measure to keep track of hitch height.

My FC30 Airstream dealer switched me over from our FC25 Equalizer hitch to a Blue Ox system and told me to connect the 7th link.

HOWEVER, the Blue Ox Tech Video (on YouTube, of course) says to connect the 9th link.

WOW, what a REALLY BIG difference THAT MADE. After using the 9th link, I felt like I was driving a train on railroad tracks.

Once I gather additional data on my FC30's loaded weight, I'll update this post.

THEN, when I take delivery of the 2019 Classic 33 FB Twin, I'll be prepared to weigh its tongue weight on delivery AND get an accurate unloaded scale weight to verify its "as delivered" weight (8653 lbs on a 33 Queen's GVWR decal) to compare ot its decal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture Sherline LM-5000.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	329607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture Sherline Gage Ready.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	329608  

Name:	Capture Sherline Gage 1500#.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	329609  
CanoeU70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I put the jack on a separate pad a CAT scale and got a 498lb reading on my 68 Trade Wind.
I also tried the method shown in the attachment and got 512lb reading. Pretty close. The jack is a few inches behind the hitch ball so it should be a little lower. Why spend $133 bucks on a tool you won't use much when you can do the same thing with a few boards and a bathroom scale.
http://www.hildstrom.com/projects/to...ale/index.html
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
I weight my rig at a truck stop using the CAT scale. Cost around $12.00. I weight truck with trailer then pull off drop trailer then back on with just the truck. Insuring that each axle is on a scale of its own. I do this each start of the season. The trailer is loaded the way we travel however I have all water tanks dry. I can always put water in the weigh if I need water when traveling.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote{} snip//-]."Why spend $133 bucks on a tool you won't use much when you can do the same thing with a few boards and a bathroom scale..."

Because it's a bit of a PITA when your TW is 1k+...all the measuring, boards, see-saw, planks & stuff. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02430.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	329680   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1caf.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	329681  

Old 12-15-2018, 04:57 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Find the “Three Pass Method” version of scaling the trailer.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

I don’t have it handy but I recall you and Ron Graetz used my scale tickets to calculate tongue weight - what was the formula you used for that?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:02 AM   #7
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
AFAIK here is the original Ron Gatz description of the method. Here is a lively airforums discussion of same . You can get a lot of information from the CAT scales. This is a link to my personal WD spreadsheet that implements the three pass method. (Yes, I know my FALR is low - project for next spring )
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:38 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
[QUOTE=kpm;2190211]AFAIK here is the original Ron Gatz description of the method. Here is a lively airforums discussion of same . You can get a lot of information from the CAT scales. This is a link to my personal WD spreadsheet that implements the three pass method. (Yes, I know my FALR is low - project for next spring

The more complicated the better....bed sheets, FLUR, UBSE, OPPS? 😂

How did I ever survive 18 Seasons with just a tape measure? Oh...that was before AF. 😘

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-15-2018, 06:49 AM   #9
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Haha I know what you mean. I just got tired of working the calculator setting up the WD on a new trailer
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
I see e-trailer offers a hitch ball with a built-in tongue weight scale...

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post
AFAIK here is the original Ron Gatz description of the method. Here is a lively airforums discussion of same . You can get a lot of information from the CAT scales. This is a link to my personal WD spreadsheet that implements the three pass method. (Yes, I know my FALR is low - project for next spring )

That is indeed the sets of calcs he used to get my TW (and my personal weight as I had screwed up the first time being in the truck for one and out of it for another - [emoji3]). Thanks for posting that!
Old 12-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

The more complicated the better....bed sheets, FLUR, UBSE, OPPS? [emoji23]

How did I ever survive 18 Seasons with just a tape measure? Oh...that was before AF. [emoji8]

Bob

[emoji631]

[emoji23]

I’m no fan of math and formulas, but if a little math can save me $125 on a tongue scale, I’m cool with that [emoji3]
Old 12-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
So, how is the 2016 Expedition handling the heavier tongue weight and the bigger trailer?

I have the Expedition on my short list for a new tow.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
MEASURING Tongue Weight

Which bars do you have for the Blue Ox?

I also have the Sherline scale and the instruction booklet it comes with is very informative.

My issue is that our 2018 27FB Tommy Bahama is supposed to have a hitch weight of 885, with LP & without options, water and cargo. Not sure watch the “options” would be but it’s sitting in our RV garage with full LP tanks and tanks empty. It’s pretty much empty and as we took delivery. Our measured hitch weight is 1,140, so a difference of 255.

Name:	IMG_8187.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	329693

I have the 1,000 bars for my Blue Ox and will be ordering the 1,500 bars.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I used the CAT scale method when I picked up my new airstream a couple months ago. I filled the gas tank and weighed the truck only. Then I drove over to airstream of Utah and picked up my trailer. The next day I came back to the CAT scale, filled up the gas again, and weighed the truck and trailer together and then a weigh with the truck only on the scale but with trailer attached.

This was enough info to do the math and I ended up with @7% tongue weight. The actual tongue weight was only @240 lbs. Way way lower then the published tongue weight for the 22 sport. I suspect once I fill the fresh water tank it’ll be in the sweet spot.

I think the key is to make sure you have your trailer axle and the tow vehicle axles all on separate weigh pads for the combined and then obviously the truck only on the pad, with trailer attached, for tongue weight.

Truck only, 2018 f150 supercrew 6.5 bed

Truck and trailer

Tongue weight via the truck with trailer attached but only truck on scale

Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote