Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #1

charleston , South Carolina
max weight for towing

Would it be safe to tow a 69 globetrotter airstream (i believe 21ft) for highway trips with a 99 jeep sports cherokee (6 cylinder)? I'm not familiar with weight distribution? This would be for family trips....... i'm just trying to determine if buying a smaller airstream is possible with my vehicle........
follybeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Well, an internet search reveals that the Cherokee was rated for towing 2000-5000lbs, based on eqpt. The Globetrotter weighs 3300 dry, prob 4000 ready for the road. If the Jeep is in good shape, with good brakes and well-maintained suspension, and a healthy transmission with a cooler....then, probably. You could make a case for a lightweight, weight distributing hitch like an Anderson to increase stability, since the Jeep only weighs about 3000#. The smaller and lighter the trailer, the better.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Yes, you can do it since the Globetrotter is well within the towing capacity of your Jeep. You will find that a weight distribution hitch with an anti sway component is most likely required since your Jeep is actually too softly sprung at the rear. Once you load it all up for a trip, even without a trailer attached, you will find that the headlights maybe pointing a little high. But it is a good vehicle with a really solid motor, providing it is the straight 6. If its the 4, you are stretching it. Jim