Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Bowdoinham , Maine
Loooong Summer Vacation

I have towed my Airstream for short distances (except the drive home from purchase), but never a long distance like 2000+ miles. We want to take it south and west as far as we feel like it. It's a 1971 with original everything except two things: I replaced old with: new axles with brakes and new tires. I have no idea about the condition of the frame or tongue. Anything else I figure is non-essential, cosmetic, or comfort. I need some experienced advice. THANKS!!!!
McDonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St Cloud , Minnesota
I've been doing 5-6000 miles per year. I originally replaced the tires but not the wheels. After several flats I learned that the original steel wheels tend to rust & leak around the rivets. I have since replaced them with new steel wheels from Redneck Trailer; no more flats. Enjoy your travels!
JamieEllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
I've only gone a few miles on mine, too, but it's good to know about the old wheels. What did you mean about rivets in the old, original wheels? I've got a '71 Overlander and have never noticed rivets in my steel wheels.
Ag'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Just to be on the safe side, why don't you drop the underside pan and take a look at the frame and floor wood. Some rust is inevidable and I wouldn't worry about it. Rotten floor wood is the same. A little ain't going to kill you. If you notice rot or rust to any extent, it will be much easier to fix at home than on the road. Have a great summer!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag'71 View Post
I've only gone a few miles on mine, too, but it's good to know about the old wheels. What did you mean about rivets in the old, original wheels? I've got a '71 Overlander and have never noticed rivets in my steel wheels.
On my old wheels the centers were riveted to the outer rims; you could see rust bubbles around the rivets when the tires were off. On my new wheels the centers are welded to the outer rims.
JamieEllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonalds View Post
I have towed my Airstream for short distances (except the drive home from purchase), but never a long distance like 2000+ miles. We want to take it south and west as far as we feel like it. It's a 1971 with original everything except two things: I replaced old with: new axles with brakes and new tires. I have no idea about the condition of the frame or tongue. Anything else I figure is non-essential, cosmetic, or comfort. I need some experienced advice. THANKS!!!!
2000 miles sounds like a long way but these days it really isn't. If you have checked everything over. The hitch,lights and tires are the main thing, if those are good then I would just go and have a good time. I wish I was ready to take off with ours, someday.
Keep stream'n
Doug

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
My first trip back was 1000 miles from Orlando to Houston pulling my 72 Tradewind. It didn't come with sway bars and it was a little scary on the Interstate when the big trucks would pass me. I was going 55 and thought I was pushing it. When i got the proper hitch setup could fly up to 75 without even knowing it. Those old trailers have a lot of life in them. Since you've checked out your wheels, brakes, shocks and axles and then just have a great trip.
If you open it up after a long pull and things are badly rearranged then look for loose rivets and things that indicate the frame is getting shaken up.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote