Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
A little adventure into a big one

After finishing working in Boise this summer I decided to take a little time off and tour Idaho. I worked my east and ended up in Wyoming. A little further than I wanted to go but I was so close to Yellowstone I just had to visit. I spent Saturday in the park and Saturday Night in the camp Ground.

I raised up the jacks and left around 9:15 Sunday morning. I made as far as 5 miles west of West Yellowstone, MT. THis is where my truck and trailer ended up in a ditch pointed the wrong way.

Fortunately the trailer broke free from the truck when the truck rolled. The truck twisted out of the trailer, the chains broke and the breakaway switch activated.

I was going well below the speed limit. I was slowing down beacuse the road ahead looked slick. I backed off the gas and the rear of the truck broke free, I counter steered, the truck swung the other way and by the time I countersteered again I was sideways and knew I was just along for the ride. By the time the I was slidding off the road everything was fairly straitened out. The truck rolled and the trailer slid on the Spare tire frame and the rear frame.

There is damage underneath, in the rear and at least on of the drawers has pulled off its slides. It is still livable but will be going the Airstream dealer in Eugene, OR (info good or bad appreciated).

Oh, I am ok. I was briefly trapped because the windows would not come down. I broke the passenger window with my 3 D cell mag light, gathered up my purse, camera and iPod. I crawled out stood up and was shaking like a leaf. Once the adrenilin wore off I realized I may not be ok. My lower back hurt the put me on a back board and transported me to a hospital a hour away. After being examined I was declared ok, a few pulled muscles, a scrape on my hand and small cut on my cheek.

Some would say I had a bad day. I disagree. I walked away from an accident where a simular one killed someone else 5 minutes later. According to all the EMTs I was very lucky. They usually have to extract people from a roll over and call in a life flight. I was taking pictures of the wreck when the EMTs arrived. They looked in the vehicle and shouted where is the driver. The people who stopped to help me pointed to me. The EMTs were amazed.

All in all a good day.
I am hoping they total the truck. However they are leaning towards repairing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5189.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	27408   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5190.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	27409  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0019.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	27410   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0021.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	27411  

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Rivet Thank goodness you are ok! Hang in there!

Oh my Michelle, I am glad your guardian angel was on duty! Whew. Please be sure to post updates. Take good care of yourself!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Michelle,

That is terrible, glad you are OK. GunnyUSMC has a thread "and the fun never stops" or something like that, he had warranty work done at Sutton in Eugene and was not happy. Isn't there a dealer in Boise?

Charlie Burke, who is on another list, is in Boise and has a tremendous amount of Airstream knowledge.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Dealers for repair

Airstream recommended another dealer in CA. C&G trailer in Bellflower. any body want to suggest a dealer west of the mississippi. The Boise Dealer is not well thought of either. AS of Spokane is not set up for this big a job. I think.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Michelle,
You have said in the past, that home is where you are. If you aren't absolutely hand tied to where you cannot do so, then consider taking the time to go back to the factory. Now, you will hear many comments pro and con on that, however, every one of their repair people were originally employed in the factory building these things. The repair, if feasible, will be done more right than by people who have done this on occasion. Now, no doubt, there are good ones other places, but my money would go to Jackson Center.
By the way, I practise what I preach. I took one of mine from GA to Jackson Center for repair where a tree grew arms and hands, and tore off one end of my awning, taking a couple of panels with it.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Michelle,

I was shocked when I read your post and saw pictures. This is everyone's nightmare. Thank goodness you are OK. You certainly had a guardian angel riding on your shoulder in that truck. I applaud you for keeping control as much as you did. You are my hero! It is my hopes that you feel back to yourself in no time. It must kill your soul to see Rebecca and Buttercup so banged up. They will be better in time. Most importantly, you were not injured seriously (or worse). Thank goodness! Thank goodness! Thank goodness!

Hang in there,

Mrs. Towdaddy (Vickie)
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Wow!!!

Wow ... Glad you are ok.I think what steelbird has said about taking it to the factory would be the right thing to do if you are able to.Personally I think it would get done better and faster than what a dealer does.these people do what they do and are quick to the fix.Plus you can probably throw in a few addons and upgrades while you are there also.Keep us up to date with everything.Glad you are ok.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Wow! All in all an excellent adventure you will never forget!

Welcome to the "I rolled on the highway and lived club!"
And you did it with an Airstream in tow! Wow!

Glad you are OK!

RichardT
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Good Grief!

Michelle, there are four places I would recommend for the repair on your trailer.
Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford Texas, Airstream of Arkansas in Searcy, Ace Fogdall in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and
Bill Thomas Airstream in Wentzville, Missouri.
At least you are okay, and the trailer can be repaired, although I don't think I would want a truck that had rolled.
The soreness and aches will continue for a few days, try not to give in to the temptation of crawling under the trailer to see how bad the damage is.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Ouch!

Michelle, you are a walking miracle. I see people every week with your mechanism of injury that require major surgical intervention. The Lord must have sent angels to protect you. As for your rig, it DOES sound like major surgical intervention is in order. I hope for you the best options present themselves and that your insurance company treats you well.

Wow, that's a hard one to shake off! Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Michelle, praise God for holding you through such an accident! I cannot even imagine what you went through. I also cannot imagine having the presense of mind to calmly take photos after climbing out of your truck! I'll not add to the good suggestions already offered above, but just add my praise to that of others that you came through relatively uninjured. Best wishes on all counts of "major surgery" and astute observation. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Another WOW..

Michelle-

Thanks for sharing difficult story, and very thankful you're OK... Amazing that trailer slid and bounced, but didn't roll over...

C&G in LA area is small, knowledgable and only handles repairs as Airstream authorized service center... They meet test of west of Mississsippi, but it might still be challenge to get unit down there.

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Michelle, Thank God that you are OK. The truck and Airstream can be fixed or replaced, you can't. Seeing your pictures gave me shivers.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
madera , California
MIchelle,

Wonder Woman!! Miz Indestructible-blessed be and you are.

Thank you for getting the pics online and sharing your horrifying experience.

It looks like a harmless light dusting of snow but obviously was not. Definitely another learning experience of a thread to us newbies on towing during inclimate weather.

May you all be healed soon! lots of flowers to you!
rolwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Michelle,

Wow, brutal experience and we are very glad you came out of this with nothing damaged that can't be fixed or replaced. You were very fortunate that the trailer didn't follow you through for the whole ride. It's always sad to look back at the pictures and see the neat stuff all bent but there's also satisfaction in being able to look back at things and be unharmed yourself.

I speak from experience. We also had a brutal highway accident in August that destroyed our car and that was a trip we'd fully intended to take the '57 and Airstream. Call it woman's intuition or whatever but at the last minute my wife decided to take her car instead - which does not have a hitch on it. I was very disappointed as I was looking forward to camping our way along the way as she usually is as well but this time she just decided that she wanted to take her own car. It saved our bacon (her car has/had airbags all around - mine does not) and the trailer was left safely tucked away in the back yard - whew. The end result for us is when we take the trailer we'll be allowing extra time for road conditions (it had rained the night before and filled an unmarked large sink-area in the highway - and a Coka Cola truck had hit it earlier and done endo's down the highway we were told by the emergency crews). Our insurance company didn't even quibble, they did their quick assessment of the car and wrote us a check for the replacement. Had it been the vintage car and Airstream I'm sure I'd still be in heated discussion with them.

Glad you are fine, and if getting the trailer repaired by the factory will make it the best possible repair you may want to consider that, although I'm sure many dealers do the same level of quality repair as well.

Take care,
Barry (and Donna)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Yes michelle ,so glad your alright ,the airstream can be fixed .

Scott and lily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I am very happy that you are o.k. Trucks and trailers are easy to repair. Good luck in your vehicle repairs and Godspeed on YOUR repair.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Out in the middle of nowhere , California
Wow

Glad to know you're doing ok. Good karma and a good guardian angel.
crkwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow!

I'm glad you're ok.... how's the truck? Take time to figure out how you feel... it's usually the next day that it hits you. I've read of some repairs that AS of Spokane has done... I think they may be just fine for you. Karyn seems a straight shooter, I'd give her a call and just ask. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I know Gunny did post about Sutton RV... try PM'ing Jimjordan for his assessment ... he has bought and serviced his trailer from them. I just think that one assessment should not cloud everyone's opinion.

I'd really look at your trailer tongue and hitch... the forces involved in that accident (and forcing the ball out of the hitch) would make me pause before towing anywhere..... I'm assuming with a different truck?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:07 PM   #20

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Thank you. I soaked in the hot tub at the hotel this evening and I feel better.
I already crawled under the trailer to see if the gas lines had been damaged. They were fine. I can still live in the trailer until I can get it fixed. The belly pan is torn in several places. My stroage tubes have been crushed and two of the stabilization jacks have been damaged as well as the spare tire hold. The trailer slid on the the tire frame.
I am leaning on taking it back to the factory just after thanksgiving.