Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2017, 04:59 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Oxon Hill , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
BTW, this advice used to drive me crazy: "put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, and while gripping the steering wheel as you slowly back up, move your hand in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go."

That advice drove me nuts because it *only* works they way we expect it to work if the trailer and tow vehicle are straight. Once we're into a turn, the trailer does not respond in quite the same way. At that point we have to think about it in terms of either "following the trailer in" or "sharpening the angle of the turn."

You will get this figured out over time. If we can do it, anybody can!

Oh, and we have found that when we are backing in, for the most part it works out much better when the DW drives while I, the DH, walk around outside and do the spotter thing, telling her which way to turn and when to stop. If she is uncertain of the quality of my directions, she has license to stop anytime she wants to Get Out And Look. It's not about ego here, it's about getting the trailer parked without adding any scratches or dents.
Thanks for this bit of astute advice. Yes, I believe this is where I need to focus. Learning how to follow the trailer and sharpening the angle of the turn
Freqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:06 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntersville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
There are some online trailer reversing games that help. My favorite seems to be gone but there's this one: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/games/reverse.asp
Very neat. Thanks for this!

"To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace." M. Kundera
Ruffn It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:08 AM   #43
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
I believe the hardest part for people to master is being able to anticipate when to begin turning and when to ease up the turn after the trailer starts to respond. You need to do both not in response to a movement but in anticipation of the desired results. It takes practice and to ability to visualize what is happening and why.
John Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:20 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
90 Degrees with 40' wide road

Hi all,

I've found a nice storage facility that is 5 minutes from home - it is secure, clean, and easy to access. The issue is that I'll need to park at a 90 degree angle in a slightly narrower spot (11.5'). Currently, my spot is 45 degrees at 12'. The good news is the road width is about 40' so I'll be able to get a good "scoop" and get lined up, so it seems.

Is this much more difficult than a 45 degree with a much narrower road width (say 25') - anything that might suggest I pass on this?

Thanks!
Adam
afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
gainesville , Virginia
To expound on the "move the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go" -- what is meant is "put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move it the direction in which you wish the trailer to go!" This will make all the difference in the world to you.

Other advice as previously mentioned is good: Slow and easy, make minor corrections and get out to look at what you've done, have a spotter in constant voice contact standing beside the driver's door and/or at the rear of the TT, etc.

Carry On!
GEEEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto. The best way to learn is to go to a large empty parking lot and start backing up in a straight line.

Practice . . . practice . . . practice . . .

In time, the eye/hand coordination will come!

Implicit is that the driver must use only the mirrors for almost all backing up, and that the mirrors must be good ones. The spotter should only be there to stop the operation to avoid a collision. The driver alone should have a clear view of things behind the trailer, in most situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEEER View Post
To expound on the "move the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go" -- what is meant is "put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move it the direction in which you wish the trailer to go!" This will make all the difference in the world to you.

Other advice as previously mentioned is good: Slow and easy, make minor corrections and get out to look at what you've done, have a spotter in constant voice contact standing beside the driver's door and/or at the rear of the TT, etc.

Carry On!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Point Pleasant , New Jersey
voyager system

we have a voyager system installed from the dealer. It does help for backing up when it comes to any thing in the way of your destination kids, dogs, bikes, etc

I don't find if very helpful when it comes to judging how close I am to an object. That takes some time getting used to. When backing into a site the voyager system can disorient you some (mirrors are more important).

The most help with the voyager is the microphone where I can hear my spotter quite clear.

The other benefit is the voyager is always giving you a view of the back of the trailer and is a priceless "rear view" mirror in my opinion.

And I love the cones. Probably wont use them but may just lay my Anderson levelers in a similar manner so I don't have to pack anything else already have enough stuff.
thoreau2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Torrance , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
What are the "standard" hand signals?
Whatever works for you, it took us a "few tries" to get the system down.....

One hand pointing the way the trailer should go

Two hands pointing the way the trailer should go ALOT

Two hands brought together in a clapping motion: at position stop (the movement of the hands coming together indicates how close you are to the stopping point.

Cut throat signal, shut down in position.

If you were be in facetious and I misunderstood then of course there is NO "Standard" hand signals that I know of!!!!!

1970 Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:01 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
FYI--Standard hand signals: with left or right hand as appropriate, spotter points in direction the back end of the trailer should move. Back up straight--spotter waves hand with same motion yo' momma used when she wanted you to come in off the street. Stop--spotter holds up left hand with palm out. STOP RIGHT NOW YOU KNUCKLEHEAD; DIDN'T YOU SEE MY SIGNAL--spotter holds up both hands, palms out making wild in&out gestures, simultaneously screaming at max volume STOP!!!!! Pull forward And try again--spotter throws up both hands, palms out, then lowers head and shakes it side to side emphatically. After 5 failed attempts to back trailer into parking slot, spotter makes one final hand signal to cursing driver, then walks off field.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:28 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
FYI--Standard hand signals: with left or right hand as appropriate, spotter points in direction the back end of the trailer should move. Back up straight--spotter waves hand with same motion yo' momma used when she wanted you to come in off the street. Stop--spotter holds up left hand with palm out. STOP RIGHT NOW YOU KNUCKLEHEAD; DIDN'T YOU SEE MY SIGNAL--spotter holds up both hands, palms out making wild in&out gestures, simultaneously screaming at max volume STOP!!!!! Pull forward And try again--spotter throws up both hands, palms out, then lowers head and shakes it side to side emphatically. After 5 failed attempts to back trailer into parking slot, spotter makes one final hand signal to cursing driver, then walks off field.

This is so us.

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #51
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If that's you, it's time to switch to tent camping. 🤣

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post

Ah yes.

I know these.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:15 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
If that's you, it's time to switch to tent camping. ��
As if two people setting up one of those newfangled tents is less fraught with friendly fire?

Old 06-09-2017, 07:59 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
As if two people setting up one of those newfangled tents is less fraught with friendly fire?

Good point. Even worse, by then they are both armed with tent poles! [emoji43]

Old 06-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #55
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'd bet there *are* a standard set of hand signals for this sort of thing. There certainly are a standard set for directing a crane operator.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #56
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
And if you have too much help from Neighbors at the rv park, a cold six pack kicked down the road on a skateboard is helpful.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #57
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
And if you have too much help from Neighbors at the rv park, a cold six pack kicked down the road on a skateboard is helpful.
Hi

That works especially well at a "no booze" campsite where the rangers bust anybody with a can in their hand...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:37 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
...That works especially well at a "no booze" campsite where the rangers bust anybody with a can in their hand... Bob
"No booze campsite"???? Where do they have these? I'll be sure to stay somewhere else....even if it takes a spotter, two lines of cones, and a back up alarm to get in!
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:31 AM   #59

For those sites we have "grape juice." The "juice" bottle never leaves the galley, inside the trailer, the "juice" is served in standard drinking cups, and we never get noisy enough for rangers to feel like they need to ask any questions. [emoji6]

Old 06-11-2017, 03:57 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
An insulated travel coffee mug can contain all manner of beverages . . . and still look quite innocent and benign . . .

Fortunately caffeine is still legal, so the visual clue does not trigger further inquiry . . .

PS -- The low no-tip versions work well around the campsite no matter the surface, although they won't slip into the cup holders on the arms of camp chairs.

https://www.amazon.com/Low-Rider-Tip...42QKG8KYZGH7FN