Old 03-24-2020, 01:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lombard , IL
Just Joined: Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch Works

Newbie here who is ordering a new trailer and researching hitch works.
Blue Ox highly recommended (evidently doesn't make noise, no grease on hands when attaching sway bars, effective when backing).

Anyone care to weigh-in on this hitch?

Also would appreciate any quality brand suggestions for:
Surge protector, 50 amp adapter, hitch lock, sewer hose and adapter, wheel chocks/block kit, in-line water filter/hose, tank chemicals....anything else I need?

Thanks!
Greg

Midwest Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Greg View Post
Newbie here who is ordering a new trailer and researching hitch works.
Blue Ox highly recommended (evidently doesn't make noise, no grease on hands when attaching sway bars, effective when backing).

Anyone care to weigh-in on this hitch?

Also would appreciate any quality brand suggestions for:
Surge protector, 50 amp adapter, hitch lock, sewer hose and adapter, wheel chocks/block kit, in-line water filter/hose, tank chemicals....anything else I need?

Thanks!
Greg
Welcome to the forum Midwest Greg. My first question is what size Airstream and what tow vehicle?

Without that information, let me share my Blue Ox experience. I have a Blue Ox hitch that I used with two different Airstreams. I also have experience from a son-in-law that also uses one and used it on two different trailers and a brother-in-law that uses one with 750# bars on a small travel trailer. My son-in-law and I have both 1000# bars and 1500# bars and tow throughout the U.S. Our Blue Ox Swaypros worked perfectly on all of our rigs. As you can see by my signature, I used the Blue ox with 1000# bars on my 25' Airstream for over 40,000. In that 40,000 miles I never felt a bobble from the Airstream. It handled like it was on rails in gale force winds, steep mountain grades and with large or fast vehicles passing by. Same experience with more miles on my Son-in-law's rig. My brother-in-law loves his Blue Ox too.

Then my Son-in-law and I each bought 2019 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4 trucks. Then everything changed. For some reason, our trucks do not like the Blue Ox Swaypro as well as our previous vehicles. I have since upgraded to a ProPride 1400# but my SIL stayed with his Blue Ox and just accepts that he will not handle like on rails anymore.

Bottom line: I love the Blue Ox Swaypro and wish I could still use it. I could still use it and put up with an occasional bobble. But since I own a Propride that has no bobbles I will continue to use the Propride.

P.S. Don't believe that grease-less hype of the Blue Ox. I was always full of grease on my hands and sometimes my pants or leg when using the Blue Ox. I find the Propride is easier to use and truly greasless. I don't need to lift the heavy hitch with ball and head. Its easier to connect the bars, you only need to turn a nut with an electric drill. Once you figure out how to back onto it, its no harder than backing up under the ball with a Blue Ox. My wife can hitch up the rig with the Propride but never connected the Blue Ox (heavy and scary bar tention). But I just loved the simplicity of the Blue Ox.

I'm sorry if I started the Blue Ox vs. Propride debate. They are both great hitches and you can't go wrong either way. I know because I own both and have thousands of miles of experience with each. I would suggest starting with the Blue ox. Spend some time adjusting it and you should find a "sweet spot" in the adjustments where it will handle like its on rails and never bobble. If for some reason you cannot find the "sweet spot" and are uncomfortable with the occasional bobbles, you may want to consider a Propride. Yes, the Propride is as good as we say it is. But a Blue Ox Swaypro can be just as good if it works with your rig and costs 1/4 or less as much. Its worth buying the Blue Ox and trying it for the potential savings. Then if you are not satisfied, look for a used Propride for $1500 to $2000 while using the Blue Ox. That is what I did and only have a total of $2,000 invested in both hitches.

(To RF)
AirMiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Lake Havasu , AZ
Being 4 year full-time RVers we have a few preferences... Note these are RV general and not necessarily AS specific.

Surge Protector /EMS. Progressive Industries and Southwire are in the top 3 brands. We've used. Progressive ems pt50x for 4 years with no issues.

Hitch lock. I've had lots and there are many available. This is my favorite. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J5P91R4..._ieOGEbZBMVQV3

Sewer hose we've only used the RhinoFLEX hoses, actually one so far because it's still in use after 4 years of fulltime use.

For chocks we use both X-chocks and also carry set of big HD rubber chocks from harbor freight.

Tank chemicals? We use strickly Happy Camper. Have tried them all and nothing else compares, based on our experience.

For water filtration we've had everything from dual jumbo $500+ filter systems from rv water filter store to the cheap camco on-hose filters as well as a berkey. For airstream use we prefer the camco hose filter and use a travel berkey for drinking water.

For leveling we use the Andersen levelers.
wingingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lombard , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
Welcome to the forum Midwest Greg. My first question is what size Airstream and what tow vehicle?

Without that information, let me share my Blue Ox experience. I have a Blue Ox hitch that I used with two different Airstreams. I also have experience from a son-in-law that also uses one and used it on two different trailers and a brother-in-law that uses one with 750# bars on a small travel trailer. My son-in-law and I have both 1000# bars and 1500# bars and tow throughout the U.S. Our Blue Ox Swaypros worked perfectly on all of our rigs. As you can see by my signature, I used the Blue ox with 1000# bars on my 25' Airstream for over 40,000. In that 40,000 miles I never felt a bobble from the Airstream. It handled like it was on rails in gale force winds, steep mountain grades and with large or fast vehicles passing by. Same experience with more miles on my Son-in-law's rig. My brother-in-law loves his Blue Ox too.

Then my Son-in-law and I each bought 2019 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4 trucks. Then everything changed. For some reason, our trucks do not like the Blue Ox Swaypro as well as our previous vehicles. I have since upgraded to a ProPride 1400# but my SIL stayed with his Blue Ox and just accepts that he will not handle like on rails anymore.

Bottom line: I love the Blue Ox Swaypro and wish I could still use it. I could still use it and put up with an occasional bobble. But since I own a Propride that has no bobbles I will continue to use the Propride.

P.S. Don't believe that grease-less hype of the Blue Ox. I was always full of grease on my hands and sometimes my pants or leg when using the Blue Ox. I find the Propride is easier to use and truly greasless. I don't need to lift the heavy hitch with ball and head. Its easier to connect the bars, you only need to turn a nut with an electric drill. Once you figure out how to back onto it, its no harder than backing up under the ball with a Blue Ox. My wife can hitch up the rig with the Propride but never connected the Blue Ox (heavy and scary bar tention). But I just loved the simplicity of the Blue Ox.

I'm sorry if I started the Blue Ox vs. Propride debate. They are both great hitches and you can't go wrong either way. I know because I own both and have thousands of miles of experience with each. I would suggest starting with the Blue ox. Spend some time adjusting it and you should find a "sweet spot" in the adjustments where it will handle like its on rails and never bobble. If for some reason you cannot find the "sweet spot" and are uncomfortable with the occasional bobbles, you may want to consider a Propride. Yes, the Propride is as good as we say it is. But a Blue Ox Swaypro can be just as good if it works with your rig and costs 1/4 or less as much. Its worth buying the Blue Ox and trying it for the potential savings. Then if you are not satisfied, look for a used Propride for $1500 to $2000 while using the Blue Ox. That is what I did and only have a total of $2,000 invested in both hitches.
Wow, great information and really appreciate the sharing.
I will be ordering a 2021 Classic 30. I have a 2018 Chevy Silverado C1500 soon to be fitted with air bags to level the truck, along with trans cooler and extended mirrors....
Thoughts?
Old 03-31-2020, 06:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lombard , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingingit View Post
Being 4 year full-time RVers we have a few preferences... Note these are RV general and not necessarily AS specific.

Surge Protector /EMS. Progressive Industries and Southwire are in the top 3 brands. We've used. Progressive ems pt50x for 4 years with no issues.

Hitch lock. I've had lots and there are many available. This is my favorite. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J5P91R4..._ieOGEbZBMVQV3

Sewer hose we've only used the RhinoFLEX hoses, actually one so far because it's still in use after 4 years of fulltime use.

For chocks we use both X-chocks and also carry set of big HD rubber chocks from harbor freight.

Tank chemicals? We use strickly Happy Camper. Have tried them all and nothing else compares, based on our experience.

For water filtration we've had everything from dual jumbo $500+ filter systems from rv water filter store to the cheap camco on-hose filters as well as a berkey. For airstream use we prefer the camco hose filter and use a travel berkey for drinking water.

For leveling we use the Andersen levelers.
Awesome! Thanks for the great tips.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Lake Havasu , AZ
You may want to research the trailer and specs of your planned truck more as I would venture a guess (based on our own history with multiple trucks, 5th wheels, etc) the payload capacity of a 1500 truck (eg 1/2 ton) towing a 30+ classic would be insufficient at best.

Add-on accessories such as airbags, WD hitches do nothing in terms of increasing the trucks rated payload. That's a lot of trailer to pull with a 1/2 ton truck.

Quote:
Wow, great information and really appreciate the sharing.
I will be ordering a 2021 Classic 30. I have a 2018 Chevy Silverado C1500 soon to be fitted with air bags to level the truck, along with trans cooler and extended mirrors....
Thoughts?
wingingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:31 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Agree with all except the Andersens. This is why.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f22...-179854-8.html

Blue Ox is OK - we use one. The Hensley/Propride is best. If you travel, get it.

The 1/2 ton TV can do the job. Understand the weight numbers, proper gear loading (over the axles, not in the ends), and how to optimize your hitch tuning. Be careful with the air bags - the hitch levels the TV, not air bags - do the research.

Hope to see you down the road with your shiny and a smile. . Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:43 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Oh Lord.....Here we go....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:14 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lombard , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingingit View Post
You may want to research the trailer and specs of your planned truck more as I would venture a guess (based on our own history with multiple trucks, 5th wheels, etc) the payload capacity of a 1500 truck (eg 1/2 ton) towing a 30+ classic would be insufficient at best.

Add-on accessories such as airbags, WD hitches do nothing in terms of increasing the trucks rated payload. That's a lot of trailer to pull with a 1/2 ton truck.
Agreed, I'm maxing out my TV ratings (9400 max load; Classic is 7900 empty). Bought the TV before we had any idea of the AS. If I go flat should be okay for now, but may have to get a new TV if heading to the mountains?

Thanks all for the help and suggestions
Old 03-31-2020, 08:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I use a Blue Ox, it's a nice well built product. It Backs up well and does not make a lot of annoying noise but like all WD products it does not like uneven surfaces so it's best to relieve the tension before traversing severe swales and lateral inclines. It does leak a very small amount of grease. It's not the best performing hitch but it is a solid contender, and much better than most.

I've heard of several folks report slight issues with newer Ford F-250's and handling performance as mentioned in this tread with hitches like Blue Ox that use differential geometry to induce corrective yaw forces. I wonder if Ford relaxed frame geometry specs so the hitch receiver is not in alignment while traveling. Hitches like Blue Ox are quite sensitive to misalignment issues. My Ram 2500 had its back axle out of alignment by over an inch and a half but I corrected it before I started towing.

We also use the Andersen Levers, the owner did make a serious and offensive mistake a couple years ago.... How long should we punish him for it?

Happy Camper is an excellent product, especially if you and yours are a fan of multi-ply toilet paper. It digests cellulose and chemically neutralizes odorants. I use Happy camper when in use and the enzyme products in between use, and my tanks stay very clean. I like my Valtek Sewer Solution Jet maceration pump, over the Stinky Slinky because the supplemental water self rinses everything.

I have LevelMate Pro smartphone App to help level the trailer and love it, also have the HaulGauge App for estimating load. They are a bit pricey, but I think they are worth it. You can get both on Amazon.

We have a Solo Campfire I also like a lot.

We have a backup camera and tire pressure monitors and think both are great. Would not camp without them.

We have a Camp Chef Stove with a Pizza oven and a griddle and love it, took the regulator off and hooked it up to the Airstream gas port.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:15 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Welcome!

I got the Blue Ox for all the reasons you listed OP:
- No grease except via the zerk fittings
- Easy hitch/unhitch
- Can leave it in place when backing up
- Quiet
- Relatively light
- Relatively affordable

My TV is a Tundra long bed, got the 1500lb load bars since my cargo & tongue weight combo was over 1000lb on paper. (Some would recommend the 1000lb bars regardless, claiming you only needs bars stiff enough to _shift_ the weight, not carry it.)

I'm very satisfied with the Blue Ox! I feel no shimmies, shakes, porpoising, or sway at any speed and whether a big rig is passing me or I'm passing one. This combination is totally solid.

Here's a massive thread on the Blue Ox:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...rs-192842.html

As with anything, YMMV depending on your particular TV, the trailer and the setup of the hitch. IMO the installation will be critical with any hitch, you're not going to overcome laws of physics with it.

For surge protector I went with an interior in-line model from Progressive. It took a little work to install but I don't like the exterior dongles although many prefer those.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
QUOTE{snip} "We also use the Andersen Levers, the owner did make a serious and offensive mistake a couple years ago.... How long should we punish him for it?"

Until "Mother Nature" erases it.

Bob
🇺🇸

"Instead of going to ’Starbucks…I make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire"
Amanamus

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #13

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
QUOTE{snip} "We also use the Andersen Levers, the owner did make a serious and offensive mistake a couple years ago.... How long should we punish him for it?"

Bob

sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
Ok you peaked my interest what mistake?
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraclassic View Post
Ok you peaked my interest what mistake?
Photos

Story

Bob
🇺🇸

"Instead of going to ’Starbucks…I make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire"
Amanamus

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Agreed, I'm maxing out my TV ratings (9400 max load; Classic is 7900 empty). Bought the TV before we had any idea of the AS. If I go flat should be okay for now, but may have to get a new TV if heading to the mountains?

Thanks all for the help and suggestions
When I started I also thought that selecting a tow vehicle was all about making sure it’s max load rating, 9,400 lbs in your case, was more than the weight of what I was pulling. It turns out I was dead wrong. Almost always it’s the payload rating that you’ll hit first.

Check your TV’s driver door sticker. You’ll find the payload rating there, probably something in the 1,200-1,600 lb range. Then check the hitch (tongue) weight on your new trailer. I haven’t looked it up but I’ll bet a ‘31 is 1,200 lbs or more. Now add the weight of the people riding in the TV, weight of the other stuff in the TV, propane, a fraction of the stuff in the trailer, liquid in tanks in front of the wheels, etc. You’ll find you are WAY over the payload capacity of your 1/2 ton TV. Airbags won’t fix it though they will help with porpoising.

In my case with a F150 with a 1,800lb payload and a FC25FB packed for travel I’m just barely under the payload limit. I’m sure you’ll be way over. This is a dangerous situation in the making. I suggest either less trailer or more TV.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:45 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lombard , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
Welcome!

I got the Blue Ox for all the reasons you listed OP:
- No grease except via the zerk fittings
- Easy hitch/unhitch
- Can leave it in place when backing up
- Quiet
- Relatively light
- Relatively affordable

My TV is a Tundra long bed, got the 1500lb load bars since my cargo & tongue weight combo was over 1000lb on paper. (Some would recommend the 1000lb bars regardless, claiming you only needs bars stiff enough to _shift_ the weight, not carry it.)

I'm very satisfied with the Blue Ox! I feel no shimmies, shakes, porpoising, or sway at any speed and whether a big rig is passing me or I'm passing one. This combination is totally solid.

Here's a massive thread on the Blue Ox:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...rs-192842.html

As with anything, YMMV depending on your particular TV, the trailer and the setup of the hitch. IMO the installation will be critical with any hitch, you're not going to overcome laws of physics with it.

For surge protector I went with an interior in-line model from Progressive. It took a little work to install but I don't like the exterior dongles although many prefer those.
Great information and thank you. I was also thinking of an interior SP but if some catastrophic event occured (lighting strike?) could the interior SP be damaged and/or cause damage to the interior trailer?
Thanks again
Greg
Old 04-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
High quality surge protectors can take small surges from lightning hundreds or thousands of times. they shunt the peak current surge to neutral/ground. they can handle severe strikes tens or hundreds of times and then tell you if they are shot and need replacement. I have a TRC Surge Guard hardwired with the remote display and I'm quite happy with it. I'm hoping and expecting it to outlast the trailer, but who knows?
Old 04-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
For the sewer hose I prefer the Rhinoflex. It has done very well for us. Inline water filter... the Camco RV taste pure. We just changed our chocks to the rubber ones from Harbor Freight. We had those yellow plastic ones and as it turns out they have an expiration date on them! Guess they get brittle over the years.
That 30ft classic is a big unit to tow with a 1/2 ton. Check out some of the threads about this.
Good luck!
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
One more item you will want for your truck is good long mud flaps to keep your Airstream from being dinged by rocks.
I use the DuraFlap mud flaps. They do not require any drilling into the truck and are wide enough and long enough to completely protect my trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 GMC 1500 rear.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	379.9 KB
ID:	364929  

NRose is offline   Reply With Quote