Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2023, 06:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Jeep Grand Cherokee in Chicago

I have a 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee (2 row seating, 3.6L 4WD gas) with the tow package, but due to supply chain issues, Jeep no longer includes the receiver or wiring. I'm assuming I'll also need a brake controller if I plan on towing a 16' or 19' Bambi, correct? Does anyone have any recommendations on places in the Chicago area that could install everything? Do I need to provide any instructions or will they know what I need?

I see that Mopar has a brake controller where the control knob fits in place of the cigarette lighter. Does anyone have any experience with this or know of a non-OEM replacement? (The Mopar controller is a little pricey.)

Appreciate the help.
micsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
An aftermarket brake controller typically uses accelerometers to sense when you are braking. An OEM integrated brake controller gets braking info directly from the vehicle and thus is working with more accurate information. If the Mopar unit is an integrated unit, it may be the better choice. That said, I used an aftermarket one without any difficulty. The one I had was a Tekonsha Prodigy P2. I gave it to my brother when I bought a new truck with an integrated brake controller and it is still working great even though its 10 years old.

Yes, you will need a brake controller.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 01:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
They make installation free brake controllers now. I have no experience with them, but it sounds like a good idea. You control the settings through Bluetooth and the accelerometer and everything is built into a dongle you plug into your 7-pin. That of course assumes you have a 7-pin plug even. Your statement that there’s no wiring or even receiver makes it sound like there might not be. Seems like an odd tow package that doesn’t have a receiver. Also blaming the supply chain for no pre-wire seems odd. There’s several miles of wire in the car. I can’t believe they couldn’t come up with 20 more feet of it. You sure the dealer isn’t just charging you for something that isn’t there and blaming the supply chain? Did you look at the build sheet?
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:17 PM   #4

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I’ve used a Tekonsha Prodigy RF and was very pleased with it. We just upgraded the truck we were using it in to a new F150 that has the factory controller so the Tekonsha will be available.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
An aftermarket brake controller typically uses accelerometers to sense when you are braking. An OEM integrated brake controller gets braking info directly from the vehicle and thus is working with more accurate information. If the Mopar unit is an integrated unit, it may be the better choice. That said, I used an aftermarket one without any difficulty. The one I had was a Tekonsha Prodigy P2. I gave it to my brother when I bought a new truck with an integrated brake controller and it is still working great even though its 10 years old.

Yes, you will need a brake controller.

I believe the Prodigy P2 is connected to the brake light circuit, and there is a “boost” of current to the trailer brakes as soon as you press the brake pedal. This boost setting is adjustable.

Any RV service department should be able to wire your vehicle and install a receiver. It wasn’t that long ago that vehicle manufacturers didn’t supply any of this stuff.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:38 PM   #6
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
micsch, A few years ago I bought an F150 that didn't come with a brake controller even though it came with the tow package. I bought a factory controller that fit in the stock position in a cubby hole in the dash and printed out the instructions. I brought the truck to the dealer to install it because they had to program the truck computer to recognize the controller. It was not a plug and play device. It's a good thing I brought the instructions because nobody in the shop had ever installed a brake controller before. I don't know about Jeeps but every time you add something electrical to a Ford to make it work right you have to tell the computer it's there.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:23 PM   #7
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
For most vehicles you can also get a 7 wire trailer harness that will plug into your existing wiring harness.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:09 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
SNIP QUOTE>>>>>>>>>I believe the Prodigy P2 is connected to the brake light circuit, and there is a “boost” of current to the trailer brakes as soon as you press the brake pedal. This boost setting is adjustable. .
IMHO the preferred system.
Have you ever seen the car in front of you driving along with the brake lights on?
That's perfect example of the trailer brakes being applied before the hydraulic pressure has engaged the TV brakes.

FWIW...we use the TruControl Gold from Hensley

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6B1055FD-791A-4FC5-A0A3-1C127DDE2D3E.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	429717  
Old 04-02-2023, 04:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Brake Controller

We use the Curt Echo Trailer Brake Controller with our JGC and it works great. No wiring needed, simply plug in to your 7-way and sync to your smartphone, where you control all brake settings. Switch between vehicles, too. Under $300 online. Highly recommended.
JMatson1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:38 PM   #10
Boba911

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Warwick , Rhode Island
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

I tow with the Jeep Gladiator and installed the mopar brake controller. It replaces the cigarette lighter and the controller plugs in simply above the break peddle. Simple to install and works great.
Boba911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:14 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

battle creek , michigan
We used a Bluetooth curt with our jeep gladiator with a 23ft. It worked well. Once in a great while you’d loose Bluetooth but it would come right back. Downside was if you needed to manually brake the trailer the curt ap had to be open and ready to apply the brake. We never had an emergency that we needed to use it so it wasn’t an issue.
nancymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
We have a 2020 Grand Cherokee (Lizzie) and run a P3, which was originally in our 2008 Highlander. Seems our rig cam 7/4 pin but had to buy from e*trailer the plug harness (for the boost settings??) in the back as it stayed with the Highlander.

I like the p3 as it is self leveling F to B and doesn't need the constant adjustment for loading that the p2 required. Mounting is a snap though I added a shim to level it L to R.

The TT is a 2014 FC20 that weighs in at 5K max on the axle and scales in around 4500. It took me awhile to dial in the Equalizer to tow level/to slight nose down as Jeeps self-leveling rear shocks that tighten up after a few miles.

The piece of cardboard is my Rube Goldberg solution to the sometime sunlight reflection off the face of the P3.

Highly recommend the P3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p3 1 med.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	429837   Click image for larger version

Name:	p3 2 med.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	429838  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tekanosha P3.pdf (1.36 MB, 13 views)