Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Another SUV to consider is the Ford Explorer. It like a twin to the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has a 5000# tow rating. The Ford Exertion may also be of interest. It has a 9200# rating.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I did not think of the Expedition but that would be a good choice but what a monster. I looked it up- w/towing package, up to 9200 lbs towing and payload of 1630. Basically that is pickup towing capacity in an SUV skin. Oh, there is mention of an EL model too - extra long. Geez, more than I need but hey for an SUV shopper wanting even more space there ya go. Good call Bigventure.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
Another SUV to consider is the Ford Explorer. It like a twin to the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has a 5000# tow rating
Although the present Ford Explorer might look like a twin to the present Jeep Grand Cherokee, it is a different beast. The Explorer is based on the new Taurus platform, which is a passenger car platform. The Jeep is a true SUV with continuing emphasis on the "Utility" part of that designation. It's closest relative (outside of Chrysler products) is the present Mercedes M-Model. They were a joint design at the time Chrysler was owned by Mercedes.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Since you asked - we really love our Grand Cherokee. It isn't the model that you are considering, but FWIW, we actually selected our new 2011 FC23FB to best fit our 08 Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel. Actual fully loaded tongue weight is 785 lbs., total trailer is 5673 lbs. The GC handles this beautifully in all conditions with the Equalizer hitch. The full time QuadraDrive II 4WD is awesome off road or in snow. MPG on this current trip from CO to WA was 16.3 measured. We are holding out for the mid-2013 intro of the new GC Diesel with the 8 speed trans,higher torque and all of the improvements from the last generation. There are many possible tow vehicles out there, and I don't disparage any of them, but this one really fits us.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
We have set up several Grand's mostly on 25-34' Airstreams and several on SOB's. It is a very nice robust chassis. As long as you transfer the correct amount of hitch weight to the front wheels you will not be close to overloading it. Interestingly on the Durango the GVWR is 7100 pounds, the chassis is identical to the Jeep which has a GVWR of 6500. On the Durango there is 2000 pounds of load capacity between the dry weight and the GVWR a little more than most half tons.

It actually handles the hitch weight better than most pick up trucks, The overhang is shorter and the front axle is much closer so transfering weight to the front wheels is much easier. As well the body structure is much stronger so you are not trying to overcome the chassis flex. The suspension is also firmer, with independent rear suspension you can have firmer springs without inducing ride harshness. Our F150 is easily the mushiest handling tow vehicle in our fleet. Like most vehicles we do strengthen the hitch receivers on the Jeeps & Durango's.

I like the Durango a little better because it has 5" more wheelbase with only 2" additional rear overhang. The RT model comes with sport suspension and 50 series 20" tires.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
IMHO I would look for something more substantial to tow a loaded 25 ft with. I tow campers from the manufactures to the dealers and am on the road alot and have witnessed several campers and trailers upside down beside the road trying to tow to much camper/trailer with their tv. From a safety standpoint a larger suv or a truck with a wdh is a better option. JUST REMEMBER BECAUSE YOU CAN PULL IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN CONTROL IT AND STOP IT! Hope this helps. Good Luck
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
JUST REMEMBER BECAUSE YOU CAN PULL IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN CONTROL IT AND STOP IT!
Agreed pandeaddle. Andrew T; the issue I have with what you are saying is that a 31-34' Airstream circa 2000 and newer has a weight of 8800-9800 lbs. That is not good for a vehicle with a 6500 or 7100 pound limitation. The manufacturer limits vehicles for a reason. There is the gross combined weight limit too. When I purchased my truck( it has the towing package, etc and also the factory trailer brake controller which interconnects with the truck's systems for sway,etc). The system is great but I have a 5100 lb trailer with a gross weight of 7000 lbs. The truck's towing capacity is 8100 lbs with a hitch weight of 1000 lbs (WD). Even so, members on here were telling me that because of the final drive ratio or the 4.6L 3V HO engine that I did not have enough truck. Interestingly the 5.0L is only slightly better overall to my engine but I took the advice and looked at it considering the difference. In this case, that is a lot of weight and quite a bit beyond the manufacturer's limits. My father has pulled HEAVY trailers with a 6 cylinder truck down the highway for his company and told me of little to leeway if there was an emergency- it can be done but...

Also, I cannot agree that F150s as a rule are bad tow vehicles. They are designed to tow and with the tow package, just a few years ago, they were unmatched. Class leading this and that. etc. Consider wheelbase. The GC has a wheelbase of 105.9" versus 145.6-156". That is a huge benefit when towing. While I do agree that smaller trailers might be pulled with a GC or durango, their overall specification and safety specs as per the manufacturer state otherwise. That kind of documentation, regardless of alteration, could cause an issue for an owner, a legality concern as well as safety concern for others. If the vehicles were truly able to handle heavier weights with their spring versus leaf suspensions, they would be rated as highly as the Ford's for sure. I do not know what config F150 you have but the ones I looked at configured for towing were stout.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Pan.... and Rod... Andrew T has written some great articles on the "fine art of towing" as seen here.... RV Lifestyle - Hitch Hints & Wagon Masters

He also writes towing articles for the Airstream Life publication.

You can also use this forum's search feature to review some of his post.

This will give you a deeper insight of where he is coming from with his thoughts.

Enjoy.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I couldn't really venture an opinion on the suitability of the Jeep Grand as a tow vehicle for a 25' Airstream as I don't know much about that particular vehicle. However, if Can Am has set a few up, with the appropriate modifications, then I'd say that it's perfectly workable tow vehicle.

As Road Ruler has said, if you read some of Andrew T's publications and articles you'll see where he's coming from. Most people in the RV world seem hung up on weight, power and manufacturer's tow ratings but the Can Am approach looks further, taking more account of such things as centre of gravity, suspension geometry and achievable weight transfer; which is how he gets such success with vehicles that others might consider unsuitable.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
It would be interesting to know Andy Thompson's take on this, since he often outfits smaller cars as tow vehicles.
Andrew T.'s, Road Ruler's, and MrUKToad's responses are why I put the above remark in a previous post in this thread!

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I took delivery Saturday on a 2013 GC Overland Summit with the factory tow package and 5.7 hemi. My 25 Safari weighs 6240# after getting rid of the crap we take but never use! The GVW on that unit is 7400#. I started to question the need for a 3/4 ton PU after weighing my AS and taking inventory. There is a tongue bracket for a Honda 2000 and I will convert it to propane so that I don't have to address the issues of putting gas inside the GC. Having towed race cars, hot rods and classics all over the west for the past 30 years, I've come to the conclusion that a lot of the advice on the Airforums regarding towing is not unlike the guy that wears suspenders AND a belt to hold up his pants just to be on the safe side!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #32
Tino

Currently Looking...
Blainville , Quebec
Hello Andy, went you said you strengthen the hitch recever, wath dou you do?
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
It's a Jeep thing. It's just how we roll.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-709396709.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	173682   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1214983572.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	505.5 KB
ID:	173683  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3335337980.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	173684  
Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #34
Tino

Currently Looking...
Blainville , Quebec
Jim nice trailer...
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino643 View Post
Jim nice trailer...
Thanks Tino, I hope you are referring to my Signature although you could also be referring to my son's Globetrotter. As you can see from the photo, I bought it from JW at Can Am. Andy set up the hitch arrangement which required some modifications in order to move a little more weight onto the front axel. He had previously reinforced the original receiver for the Safari. The Jeep is a Diesel and the package works beautifully. I really like the new GC, especially the short rear overhang, but won't get a new one until the Diesel is available.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
. . Having towed race cars, hot rods and classics all over the west for the past 30 years, I've come to the conclusion that a lot of the advice on the Airforums regarding towing is not unlike the guy that wears suspenders AND a belt to hold up his pants just to be on the safe side!
Are the wind loads on those trailers the same as with a travel trailer?

As for advice . . easier that someone new starts with seeing the whole picture: Aero resistance trumps weight; trailer brakes stop the trailer; restoring front axle weight is Step One. Etc. Cover the basics and then modify to use, IOW.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower

Thanks Tino, I hope you are referring to my Signature although you could also be referring to my son's Globetrotter. As you can see from the photo, I bought it from JW at Can Am. Andy set up the hitch arrangement which required some modifications in order to move a little more weight onto the front axel. He had previously reinforced the original receiver for the Safari. The Jeep is a Diesel and the package works beautifully. I really like the new GC, especially the short rear overhang, but won't get a new one until the Diesel is available.
So even with the Hensley and weight distribution jacks, the receiver had to be modified?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Hi Jim,
It appears that we have the same GC Overland Diesel, even the color. I'm just curious as to what modifications you had done to the receiver. I've towed our FC23FB for just over 20,000 mi with an Equalizer WDH and have had no issues other than a bit of receiver rattle. Like you, I'm looking forward to new diesel in mid-2013.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post

So even with the Hensley and weight distribution jacks, the receiver had to be modified?
Yes. The 30' Signature has a pretty significant tongue weight particularly when loaded with full propane, fresh water, 4 batteries, And my wife's shoes. Andy put a little angle on the hitch so it behaved a little bit like the angle adjustment that one uses on a normal wd hitch in order to provide a little more lift on the bars and transfer more weight to the front axel. So now, with 1400 lb bars, and the thing cranked to the max, I can load the thing up and go, no issues. I will not get into the US vs Can theory on the TV.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Hi Jim,
It appears that we have the same GC Overland Diesel, even the color. I'm just curious as to what modifications you had done to the receiver. I've towed our FC23FB for just over 20,000 mi with an Equalizer WDH and have had no issues other than a bit of receiver rattle. Like you, I'm looking forward to new diesel in mid-2013.
See above. I towed my previous 25' Safari using a Reese Dual Cam, see above photo at the Colonel's in Corbin. It was an excellent combination and performed flawlessly for 200,000k and during its one and only full blowin interstate panic stop. On the current Jeep, Andy at CanAm added some angle bars from the OEM hitch receiver to some place on the frame. Bare in mind that my current Airstream is substantially heavier than yours and the same diesel is just remarkable in its performance.