Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2021, 12:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Jeep Gladiator

Does anyone have 1st hand experience towing a newer AS 25 with the new Jeep Gladiator, either gas or diesel. Thnx. R
Randal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
25'er with a Gladiator

Well....you might try it and get away with it. But then again you might not.

Not all Gladiators are created equal. The model with the highest Payload/Cargo capacity is not the model rated to tow the most. Your really restricted by that number that is in the driver door jamb. The sticker will say "Cargo not to exceed.......". So, your 25' AS is going to have close to 1000 LBS or slightly more tongue weight. My best guess is that the Number on that sticker is in the 1300/1500 LB range. Drop the AS on the back and you have very little if any extra capacity after you and the misses and kids and travel stuff are thrown in.

I pull a 2019 FC 25 RBT with a properly equipped 2013 Ford E150 XLT van. I would not attempt to tow a 25'AS behind a Gladiator. As previously stated you might get away with it, until you don't. Not a super safe combo IMHO. it will tow it down the road but the first good downhill grade on a nice curvy road might convince you to get a more capable tow vehicle with a greater safety margin.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I really want a Gladiator, so I did all the math when I had my 25 Serenity. The reality is, it’s not going to work. Once you add a couple passengers, your maxing the vehicle. The biggest issue with the Gladiator is power. It’s almost half the HP & torque as my F-150. I was researching the available supercharger’s. The Jeep’s don’t like to be supercharged, there are three or four guys in the Twin Cites who are on their second engine after supercharging. Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2021, 06:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
The previous owner of my 2021 25’ Globetrotter towed it with a Jeep Gladiator Diesel with airbag suspension from Oklahoma City to the Rockies to Moab and then back to Orlando. He said it towed great. Frankly I think he’s nuts but that’s me. I don’t know the tow specs of his rig, but someone here said Jeep Gladiators with max tow packages can tow 7600#.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Randal,

Full load your trailer with a full fresh tank and take it to the scales. If it’s under 7,650 with all gear and passengers. Go pick up a demo gladiator from the dealer and try it out. I wouldn't try it without a Hensley Arrow or Pro-Pride hitch. I would be anxious to see how it works.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
The previous owner of my 2021 25’ Globetrotter towed it with a Jeep Gladiator Diesel with airbag suspension from Oklahoma City to the Rockies to Moab and then back to Orlando. He said it towed great. Frankly I think he’s nuts but that’s me. I don’t know the tow specs of his rig, but someone here said Jeep Gladiators with max tow packages can tow 7600#.
Just tagging on, he did this trip with his wife and two teenage boys. No idea how much stuff they packed with them. Also added 37” tires and had a ProPride hitch.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I just read this.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/f...ous-here.8933/
Old 08-14-2021, 07:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Of course thats from 2018 before the Gladiator or the Diesel. I love my 2018 Wrangler Rubicon and the original plan was to get an rPod to tow behind it. The numbers just did not work for me and I’d be towing with little or no margin.

My GT’s original owner towed it with a diesel Gladiator and said it was fine. We even went for a ride with his setup as part of my inspection of the GT and although it was a short ride on flat roads it seemed to pull fine. Of course that’s different than towing at highway speeds on windy days with trucks blowing past you.

I know there are people on this forum pulling 25’ GTs with a Tesla and if that works for them that’s great. I’m very comfortable towing mine with my RAM 2550 diesel. The wife is happy to follow with the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Old 08-14-2021, 07:33 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

If you already own the AS, might as well get a TV thats built to tow it.
Consider...how many Glad's 'ya see towing larger AS's?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-14-2021, 07:45 AM   #10
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
Not Ready For Prime Time

Our family has owned Jeeps since 1979. We currently have a 2013 Wrangler Rubicon. The towing capacity on that little guy is 3500#. The towing capacity on the Gladiator is 7000#. No different than the GMC Canyon I pitched before buying my GMC 1500 to tow my new AS23FB home from Colorado.

Had Chrysler done their homework and made it a two door with a higher truck bed and put in the 707hp Hellcat motor, I would have bought one. But not for towing.

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:30 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Thanks for all the helpful responses. I had a 2015 Jeep Unlimited with a very low tow capacity as most know, 3,500. When I bought the AS25 I bought a Titan SV with a 10,000 plus tow capacity, and use a Curt weight distribution anti sway hitch. Without the WD system the tongue weight is around a 1,000. pounds. With it I probably shift a couple of hundred pounds off the tongue. The Gladiator tows approx 7,500 with a 1,700 payload. GVW of the AS25 is 7,300 empty. I would think that figure alone eliminates the Gladiator. Having said that I have seen other less capable vehicles pulling AS 25's. I am a full timer and travel on my own with a relatively light payload, well under the 1,700. rated for the Gladiator. I miss being able to go off in a Jeep, best experiences exploring ever. Before I give up on the Gladiator I think I will follow the idea to rent one for a couple of days and test it out, although I doubt anyone rents the diesel version. Thanks. Randal
Randal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal View Post
The Gladiator tows approx 7,500 with a 1,700 payload. GVW of the AS25 is 7,300 empty. I would think that figure alone eliminates the Gladiator.
GVW is gross vehicle weight, that is max it can carry. It isn't empty. Our FC 25 RBT has a GVW of 7,300 lbs. Its empty weight is 5,809 lbs, which I think includes batteries and propane. So, real world tow weight is about 6,500 lbs.

I don't think the Gladiator is the right tool for this job, but not for the reason of tow rating.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Plymouth , Minnesota
I'm towing a 2020 FC25RBT with a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon... I have a Blue Ox WD hitch and air bags for added payload... 35" tires... otherwise stock. I'm doing a west trip next summer so adding a supercharger for uphill pulls and slotted rotors to keep the brakes cool................ I have had zero issues [even with full tanks]. Drive within your comfort range and all is good. Look at what folks pulled with in the 60s, 70s, 80s etc... just keep within your comfort zone and be proactive downhill.................... all good! You don't need to go 70 MPH up & downhill........... and you don't need a sledgehammer to hang a picture!
Jeeplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplover View Post
I'm towing a 2020 FC25RBT with a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon... I have a Blue Ox WD hitch and air bags for added payload... 35" tires... otherwise stock. I'm doing a west trip next summer so adding a supercharger for uphill pulls and slotted rotors to keep the brakes cool................ I have had zero issues [even with full tanks]. Drive within your comfort range and all is good. Look at what folks pulled with in the 60s, 70s, 80s etc... just keep within your comfort zone and be proactive downhill.................... all good! You don't need to go 70 MPH up & downhill........... and you don't need a sledgehammer to hang a picture!
You’ve stated at least once before on this forum that airbags increase payload. This is untrue. Please do your homework and stop spreading misinformation that could impact the safety of others.

You’ve also stated that you don’t need a sledgehammer to hang a picture at least once before, but that really depends on the size of the nail, the size of the picture and what the wall is made of…

Please don’t forget that when you make the choice to go out on the road with a suboptimal tow combo you’re not just risking your life and property. Style not withstanding…

Sincerely,
Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:30 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Plymouth , Minnesota
Ian... I appreciate your comments [truly do]... I have 30 years in the automotive industry in product development and I know that the industry is EXTREMELY RISK ADVERSE... I have a lot of wiggle room in the numbers, especially with safe driving practices. I'm not pushing an issue... literally looking for solid advice from those with experience... real towing experience on I-80. Don't turn my asking for advice into a lecture on safety... I'm asking because I'm concerned about safety... so if you have real advice please advise, otherwise bark at your wife, neighbor, dog, someone walking by your house, someone towing a 25' AS with a Gladiator... pick your target and have at it!
Old 11-01-2021, 06:33 PM   #16
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Jeeplover,

What is number on your Jeeps payload decal?
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I have offered my advice, please stop saying airbags increase payload capacity. It is untrue.

I actually grew up near the western leg of I-80 and cut my teeth driving, towing and hauling over Donner summit and later over the passes east of there. However, that doesn’t make me an expert at towing a 25’ airstream with a jeep gladiator across almost the entire length of I-80. Nor will your upcoming trip do that for you.

My real world towing experience is fairly vast as I have towed one trailer or another across a minimum of a 100,000 miles of our country’s roads, highways and interstates. Mostly with a well matched tow vehicle to the load, sometimes not.
I give nary a sh!t about “style” and have the common sense and curtesy to take not just my own safety into account but that of other motorists.

Reading your thread and responses to other topics a trend is emerging, you seem to really want the foot to fit the shoe, all the add ons you’re talking about should tell you something. You’ve got a suboptimal combo (and yes I realize safety margins are built in, especially for folks who ignore the actual numbers) and because you love Jeep’s so much and believe that “style” has something to do with a well set up tow combo you are literally trying to shoehorn in the belief that your cute little “truck” is a proper tow vehicle for a trailer that is out of its league. My family and I travel the roads of our country, I’d rather not be put in jeopardy by folks that put style over substance. I also, in a round about fashion care about you and your safety.

Finally, you have neglected in all of your posts to state the actual capacity or numbers associated with your vehicle in regards to its capacity. Curious.

Addendum to my previous finally, don’t talk about my wife. No go grounds there pal.

Lovingly,
Ian
Old 11-02-2021, 05:18 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Plymouth , Minnesota
Hi Ian... Sincere apologies... I'm reflective and your comments hit home. I'm renting a 2500 Ram w/ Cummins for the trip. I was trying to make it work and a good look in the mirror after reading your comments did the jog. Please give your wife a hug for me and take no offense............ safe travels!

thanks again!
Old 11-02-2021, 08:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplover View Post
Hi Ian... Sincere apologies... I'm reflective and your comments hit home. I'm renting a 2500 Ram w/ Cummins for the trip. I was trying to make it work and a good look in the mirror after reading your comments did the jog. Please give your wife a hug for me and take no offense............ safe travels!

thanks again!
Your response gives me hope for humanity. If you find yourself around central Texas, I have a full hook up spot for you. I’ll even take you to the best bbq you’ve had. My treat.

Ian
Old 11-03-2021, 06:19 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
madison , Alabama
I do have a Jeep Gladiator, overland trim, ecodiesel. I bought it to tow my 2022 Flying Cloud 23CB. I does a great job, but the 23CB is only 6,000lbs loaded and my tow capacity is 6,500. I would not feel safe pulling a 25 footer. I did a 1,300 mile trip and averaged 17.4mpg while towing though.
Tadfar is offline   Reply With Quote